Very Rough Thanksgiving Cruise on Magic

CeeJayPonz

Did anyone else think that the Thanksgiving cruise on the Magic was excessively rough? I was told that the Captain doesn't like to use the stabilizers because they use too much fuel. Can anyone help explain this to me?

I was on the Magic Nov 8 -15 sailing and we encountered 10 to 12 foot seas with a crosswind hitting the ship broadside. I thought the ship handled the waves fairly well, although some cruisers were complaining and looking a bit green. This was on the last sea day while returning to Galveston.

On the Magic Oct 18 -25 cruise, we encountered wind and some waves that slowed the ship down, resulting in being an hour late at our first port of Cozumel. Departure was an hour later so we had the same amount of shore time. We were delayed several hours by fog the morning of debarkation, resulting in the most chaotic exit I have ever been part of on a ship.

Edited by evandbob

Did anyone else think that the Thanksgiving cruise on the Magic was excessively rough? I was told that the Captain doesn't like to use the stabilizers because they use too much fuel. Can anyone help explain this to me?

I would like to know who told you that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We were right next to you guys on the Norwegian Breakaway in Nassau on Thanksgiving! And it was definitely rockier then normal especially leaving Thanksgiving night. Not horribly bad, but the ship was rolling pretty good with the swells. I think the captain said we had around 15' waves Thanksgiving night/Friday morning, and the wind kept the ropes course closed for much of the cruise.

I am sure it pleases Mother Nature greatly that a Carnival Captain is blamed for all her misdeeds.

No kidding. A cruise ship is not a Disney ride.

I had the roughest ride of my life on a Jan cruise once. To the point I have never wanted to take another cruise in Jan.

Anyway, I heard the lie about them not using the stabilizers at the dining table, so I went to look for myself. Yep, they were being used, the water was just that rough.

Btw, my sister cruises in Jan every year and has never had a rough ride.

This years Thanksgiving week cruise on the Victory was a rough one as well. Lots of people walking around with sea sickness until about Thursday/Friday when it got a bit smoother at Amber Cove DR. It was not as bad as my 2013 Thanksgiving cruise when we had to walk sideways most of the cruise.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

It's also a "where" thing. Returning from Cabo to Los Angeles in December of 2000 had probably the highest waves I've seen. It's also always rough from Florida east to the Bahamas, due to the Gulf Stream. Hopefully we won't have to dodge a hurricane in January out of Galveston, but with this el Nino, who knows?

Had relatives on the Pride last week, Thursday, Friday and part of Saturday rough coming out of the Bahamas heading up to Baltimore. They have pix of complete dining room table settings and food on floor at late seating, lots of things falling (including people trying to walk), many not feeling well. Winds bad and upper decks blocked off, was a rough week for them.

Rough seas? Sounds like a fun cruise to me!

Yeah, I thought I like a rough ride too, but when it gets to the point you are thrown out of bed into the middle of the floor, then have to hang on while you sleep, it is bad.

Drinks had to be held almost constantly or they would tip over. Banging and clanging, all doors to the outside decks closed for two days. I heard the pool emptied and the people underneath got some flooding.

Believe me, if I had not lived thru it, I would not have believed it would have been that bad. I had carpet burns on my elbow from being tossed into the middle of the room.

Sounds awesome! Think i may be looking to book a cruise around this time next year! The rougher the seas the better! Thanks for the info!

Had friends who left Friday on a Disney ship and they said it was very rough that first day, then smoothed out. That's leaving from Port Canaveral so reckon the seas were simply rough all over at that time since Galveston and other ports reported the same thing.

Oh boy here we go. It is all Carnival's fault for the weather and the rough seas. Time to complain on CC to see what everyone else thinks. It is the ocean and you are cruising during the transition from Fall to Winter. Rough seas can occur at any time through the year, but I recall my first cruise during this time frame and the seas were rough then too. It can happen.

When you get "thrown out of bed onto the floor", you know you are on a "cruise ship". These days just about every passenger vessel out there is a cruise ship, and they are not designed to handle rough seas very well.

A cruise ship hull, and a shallower draft (depth in the water) almost assures a lot of rock and roll in rougher sea conditions. Stabilizers can only do so much and, yes, in calmer seas the captain will pull them in to save fuel.

It's the nature of the beast. Sure, bigger is sometimes better, but not always.

Until they start building cruise ships based on ocean liner standards, you had best get used to this. Sadly, an ocean liner costs about 40% more to build than a cruise ship.

Right now, the only ocean liner out there is Queen Mary 2, and I can assure you that in seas much rougher than experienced here, she did rock and roll a bit, but I was never thrown from bed. I've been on QE2 and QM2 in force 10-12 conditions, and while some got sick, it was life on board as usual, while steaming along at a faster speed than the majority of cruise ships can do (26 knots).

It's not just stabilizers, nor the captain, it is the design of the ship.:cool:

When you get "thrown out of bed onto the floor", you know you are on a "cruise ship". These days just about every passenger vessel out there is a cruise ship, and they are not designed to handle rough seas very well.

A cruise ship hull, and a shallower draft (depth in the water) almost assures a lot of rock and roll in rougher sea conditions. Stabilizers can only do so much and, yes, in calmer seas the captain will pull them in to save fuel.

It's the nature of the beast. Sure, bigger is sometimes better, but not always.

Until they start building cruise ships based on ocean liner standards, you had best get used to this. Sadly, an ocean liner costs about 40% more to build than a cruise ship.

<<snip>>

It's not just stabilizers, nor the captain, it is the design of the ship.:cool:

^quote above for truth.

I do think folks believe ocean liner and cruise ship are synonymous with one another.

That said, it is fun to have a rough sea once in a bit. Makes you really feel like a mariner of yore!

Sounds awesome! Think i may be looking to book a cruise around this time next year! The rougher the seas the better! Thanks for the info!

You must be an old tin can sailor.:eek: You haven't "lived" until you've ridden out a hurricane on an old WWI era destroyer waiting for a space capsule recovery. Or spent a week banging into headwinds and waves over the bow while crossing the Atlantic trying to get home.

Never the less, rough seas aren't really "fun" for most people.

Thanks for all the insight on the rough ride we had over Thanksgiving and keep them coming. But, I never said it was worthy of asking for a refund. This was my 5th cruise and I hope to go on many more with Carnival. I just wanted to know more about what could be done to help the situation. Thanks to all!!

I was on the same cruise (Thanksgiving on the Magic) and it seemed like the wind was particularly bad when we were in Nassau. The Atlantis resort closed their beach because of high waves (which is pretty cool to look at). I saw the workers placing vomit bags (new) by the elevators that night.

The next morning it was smooth sailing the whole way home.