Very Rough Thanksgiving Cruise on Magic

CeeJayPonz

Not on this cruise but I was on the Magic sailing 11/8/15 through 11/15/15. It was very rough the last sea day returning to Galveston. It was a little rocky the first sea day but the last sea day was terrible. I asked a crew member in the elevator if this was normal and he said yes, all the time.

We were on Freedom of the Seas for Thanksgiving two years ago, and 2 years prior to that on Celebrity Eclipse, undoubtedly the two roughest cruises we have been on. We didn't get sick, but many did. On FOS, the outdoor decks were closed and we were forced to skip Cayman on Thanksgiving because it was too rough to anchor and tender. We still had a great time on both and wouldn't hesitate to go again that week. Maybe thats just the transition period in the Caribbean, or maybe it's just luck of the draw.

Did anyone else think that the Thanksgiving cruise on the Magic was excessively rough? I was told that the Captain doesn't like to use the stabilizers because they use too much fuel. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Stabilizers when deployed increase the drag of a ship. More drag = more fuel burned to accelerate to and maintain a given speed. A lot of lines are trying to cut costs whenever possible so not deploying the stabilizers would be one way. Another would be not increasing speed to beat a storm to port and then end up missing the port.

My husband and I was on the Paradise and yes it was very rocky. We are very happy that we were able to still to go to the two ports. We did behind the fun tour on Friday and was up on the bridge with all the rocking. We will keep booking our cruises we will not let these waves stop us!! We love to cruise!!

We were on the Magic from the 15th-22nd and it was definitely rougher than what we are used to but we typically cruise in the summer. Since this was also only my second time being on a Carnival ship, I wasn't sure if it was just the variance between ships or if the water was rougher. It didn't bother me during the day but the first two nights there was this banging noise every few minutes at night which would shake the bed and keep waking me up. We talked to people in other areas of the ship and they experienced it too. The last night we didn't have the banging and shaking but a rocking back and forth. It was kind of relaxing but I had to hold on because I was worried I would roll out of the bed. :)

I was on the Pride sailing the week of the 15th and it was very rough. We rocked very bad and alot of people were sick. A few of the first time cruisers said they were scared to death. I did ok, I just did my best to ignore it and get in sync with the waves. I am glad to hear that we weren't the only ones experiencing this because I surely thought it was just the Pride but this reassures me it can happen on any ship.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Did anyone else think that the Thanksgiving cruise on the Magic was excessively rough? I was told that the Captain doesn't like to use the stabilizers because they use too much fuel. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Did the captain tell you this or was it a rumor among passengers. Fuel consumption is carefully calculated and takes into account using the stabilizers at all times. There is no reason in the world that the captain would not use them due to fuel issues.

The captain said very little during the cruise. I got my info from another passenger who had sailed with him before on the Magic. She also said that the Magic has had 5 different captains in the last few years. Don't know where she got her info from, but she seemed to know a lot about the ship and crew.

We were on the Sunshine during Thanksgiving week and had an Eastern itinerary.

It was rough a lot of the week for us also - especially rough Thursday night and Friday.

Our captain told us that it would calm down some around 5 pm on Friday and it did but I'm not sure why.

Even though non of us got sick my DH has already said he isn't sure he will want to cruise Thanksgiving week again. It didn't really bother me but he has some mobility issues so it made it even more difficult for him.