Gratuities

Deedee85

My cousin and I were discussing the concept of prepaid gratuities or a "DSC" while eating at O'Sheehans yesterday. We finally decided to ask our waiter if they actually see any of that money and how cash gratuities are handled.

He told us that they never see any money from the DSC OR when cruisers write in a tip amount while signing their receipt. If they receive a cash tip, it is theirs to keep. That is another reason to carry small bills and tip your wait staff and bartenders a dollar or two!

My cousin and I were discussing the concept of prepaid gratuities or a "DSC" while eating at O'Sheehans yesterday. We finally decided to ask our waiter if they actually see any of that money and how cash gratuities are handled.

He told us that they never see any money from the DSC OR when cruisers write in a tip amount while signing their receipt. If they receive a cash tip, it is theirs to keep. That is another reason to carry small bills and tip your wait staff and bartenders a dollar or two!

LMAO!! First of all, that's a flat out lie. Secondly, if he had told you anything different, then he would be an idiot shooting himself in the foot. Well played. I'd tip him just for being so good at what he just did to you.

I can guarantee you that they do receive something from writing in a tip. I usually have cash for tips but there have been a handful of times where I had run out of cash and I tipped on the line and they are so very appreciative to the point where they go out of their way to make sure I keep getting refills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bridge to sell are you interested? Seriously though it's not even a little true what he told you. That's so wrong of him to give you such wrong info. Shame on him

He is smart to try to get more money out of you. Also people shouldn't be asking strangers what they make.

It's very immature to ask also it's very unprofessional for the server to comment on it.

Maybe there is some truth to this. Hear me out. From this board and from personal experience I have noticed that overall the worst food service has been in Osheenans. With a lot of speculation that the new servers or ones needing more training are put there. Maybe they actually do not receive anything from the DSC and just get a small salary while doing their time there. Who knows. I for one always give someone the benefit of the doubt until I have actual evidence to prove them wrong.

Maybe there is some truth to this. Hear me out. From this board and from personal experience I have noticed that overall the worst food service has been in Osheenans. With a lot of speculation that the new servers or ones needing more training are put there. Maybe they actually do not receive anything from the DSC and just get a small salary while doing their time there. Who knows. I for one always give someone the benefit of the doubt until I have actual evidence to prove them wrong.

I gave our room steward an extra $20 by filling out a form at guest services so it would come off of my OBC. He thanked me later for it. I put down an extra amount on a bar bill once and the bartender made it a point to get my attention as I was walking away and thanked me for it once he noticed what I'd done. I doubt in either case their reaction would have been the same had they not known they would actually receive that money.

Wow! It is real easy to be rude from behind a keyboard. I hope that is not how you conduct a face to face conversation. If it is, I am sure you are a pleasure to be around.

I simply relayed the information that I was told. No need to act high and mighty.

Also people shouldn't be asking strangers what they make.
In a restaurant tipping situation, the server is not a stranger. In the limited context of that one meal at that one table, you become one of their employers. Again, to a very limited extent: it doesn't give you the right to know all the details of their pay, but you can certainly ask questions about your tip, which is supposed to be a transaction strictly between you and the server. The problem is you can never be certain of the sincerity of the answers, because the server is naturally looking out for themselves, and because in reality there is a third party in the transaction (NCL), who will do everything they can to prevent you from getting any answers.

So it is not "immature", but it is a waste of everyone's time. But we never get tired of it, do we?

In a restaurant tipping situation, the server is not a stranger. In the limited context of that one meal at that one table, you become one of their employers. Again, to a very limited extent: it doesn't give you the right to know all the details of their pay, but you can certainly ask questions about your tip, which is supposed to be a transaction strictly between you and the server. The problem is you can never be certain of the sincerity of the answers, because the server is naturally looking out for themselves, and because in reality there is a third party in the transaction (NCL), who will do everything they can to prevent you from getting any answers.

So it is not "immature", but it is a waste of everyone's time. But we never get tired of it, do we?

Thank you!

I never actually asked how much he earned, just if he gets to keep the tips that I give. That is my right to know. I want to give him $5, not NCL.

And just to be clear for all of you "joksters", he was not expecting or trying to get money out of me. Our server disappeared during our meal and never returned. I guess she was called someplace else. We called him over just to ask for water and started talking. We left him a few dollars for being friendly. He never returned to our table. We chased him down and he was very surprised and appreciative so ENOUGH of the sarcasm. I'm not dumb or gullible.

Wow! It is real easy to be rude from behind a keyboard. I hope that is not how you conduct a face to face conversation. If it is, I am sure you are a pleasure to be around.

I simply relayed the information that I was told. No need to act high and mighty.

Actually I wouldn't be rude to you face to face but I would laugh and say exactly what I posted above to you

I would laugh again and then just say it was no big deal to give an extra tip as he could certainly use the cash in ports but I would mention that I'm not in the habit of leaving waiters on a ship extra as the dsc covers them.

Btw the way I wouldn't be laughing at you but hopefully with you

Fwiw I just dont see their jobs as terrible for them

Yes they work long hours but so do we

Yes they miss their families but many people I know travel 2 weeks a month or more for their jobs

And they are not forced to do this job but they do it for the good pay they receive (versus a job back home) so they can support those they are responsible for...just like we do

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's beyond rude to ask anyone in any profession how much they make or how they make it.

I agree. I never asked how much he made....I asked if he gets the tips that I give him. That is not rude. People think they are tipping a server, wouldn't they have a right to know if it actually gets to them? It is my money and my right.I wouldn't leave a penny if it all went right back to the corporation.

I agree. I never asked how much he made....I asked if he gets the tips that I give him. That is not rude. People think they are tipping a server, wouldn't they have a right to know if it actually gets to them? It is my money and my right.I wouldn't leave a penny if it all went right back to the corporation.

You're splitting hairs. You're asking the guy about his pay. It's none of your business. Leave the tip, or don't, that is the limit of your "rights".

So silly to be hung up on rights. Very American-centric thing to say.

By the way, how much money do you make?

You're splitting hairs. You're asking the guy about his pay. It's none of your business. Leave the tip, or don't, that is the limit of your "rights".

So silly to be hung up on rights. Very American-centric thing to say.

By the way, how much money do you make?

Last year I made $83,000 not including rental income. How about yourself?

Last year I made $83,000 not including rental income. How about yourself?

Don't ya just love that rental income!!!!!!

Well it's dec 2....time to start picking up the $$$$

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Back to the original topic. I think some are missing the point of his answer. There must be a reason he wanted cash. Based on your assumption, added to the bill or cash, he gets the same tip. Right??? So why would he care. Makes no sense for him to make that remark, unless there's is some benefit to cash. I don't care what that benefit is. Given the option, they appreciate the cash best. OK. So, if I want to give a crew member some compensation for their work, why wouldn't a give them what they want most? Cash is king.

We all already knew they didn't get the DSC. That goes into the mystery employee compensation bucket, and NCL determines who gets what and how much.