Gratuities

Deedee85

I had heard it said that some servers prefer to not be tipped in cash because of security problems on the ship, would rather you added it to the bill.

Where did you hear this? Let me tell you, they all prefer cash. Cash is theirs, not pooled, NCL doesn't get a cut and they can use it immediately.

It is interesting that those who think they know what is going on try to out talk those who do know what is going on.

If you are told something, and you believe it, you are automatically disparaged and called names if you post it on this forum.

AND -- It is usually the same few posters who will try to out talk you...

Thank You

No it's anything but crystal clear. What are you talking "aboat"?

Best to put him on your "ignore" list, I did that years ago....yes, he has been at it for many years!

I think most of us recognise that what he writes is his own set of facts, nothing more, and he always will have the last word....the "ignore" function is definitely the way to go with this poster.

Insults don't bother Canadians. Most of us are smart enough to see right through you, and it's crystal clear what you're trying to do.

Best to put him on your "ignore" list, I did that years ago....yes, he has been at it for many years!

I think most of us recognise that what he writes is his own set of facts, nothing more, and he always will have the last word....the "ignore" function is definitely the way to go with this poster.

I so agree with you regarding the ignore function, I was sure I had added him to that but perhaps I removed him from it when he actually shared some good information. :p

Insults don't bother Canadians. Most of us are smart enough to see right through you, and it's crystal clear what you're trying to do.

I so agree with you regarding the ignore function, I was sure I had added him to that but perhaps I removed him from it when he actually shared some good information. :p

Interesting. I tend to see him as one of the few voices of reason around here, as I try to stumble through the piles of inflated BS.

I guess, for me, the bottom line is I see many, many people on this forum who appear overly concerned, even obsessed, with other people's money. This is usually coupled with a misplaced sympathy for the crew ("poor, hard-working") who evidently are unable to escape the chains of cruise ship slavery lest their families return to eating from dumpsters they find while navigating rivers of feces.

The question to the server may not have crossed over into "how much are you paid" but goddamn... why is there so much interest in peeking into someone else's finances? Are they attempting to assuage their privilege guilt?

The obsession on this forum with the DSC and tips is undeniably quite bizarre.

I notice an awful lot of concern about other people's concern ;)

I think people are concerned because some of us care about things like social justice (privilege guilt is an unflattering term, but I get your point), and since we may care about things like that in our everyday lives, why should we care any less on vacation? (If you don't, I don't think I can make you understand why it matters.)

The *idea* that a crew is being underpaid or exploited in some way affects me, and if that is happening, I'd like to see it stop. I cannot *know* if it is happening or not without more information, and Emily Post might have to take a seat.

I don't see any evidence of obsession myself, just some people who think a little beyond "I got mine".

I think people are concerned because some of us care about things like social justice (privilege guilt is an unflattering term, but I get your point), and since we may care about things like that in our everyday lives, why should we care any less on vacation? (If you don't, I don't think I can make you understand why it matters.)

The *idea* that a crew is being underpaid or exploited in some way affects me, and if that is happening, I'd like to see it stop. I cannot *know* if it is happening or not without more information, and Emily Post might have to take a seat.

I don't see any evidence of obsession myself, just some people who think a little beyond "I got mine".

Very well said. I think your words express how many folks feel.

Rochelle

Common sense is not all that common.

If the server got the amount of tip left on the signed line of a bill, they would never answer the question the way that they do...they simply never see much from it.

Cash goes to the person who's hand you are putting it in...end of discussion.

Now for is it ok to ask who gets the tip if I right it in.....my god yes, as you simply asked the server to find out who you are tipping!

Anyone who states that you are rude for asking the question is wrong, you have the right to know who gets the tip you are leaving for the server!

Edited by canadianeh934

I don't miss those days at all. I use to hate looking around the dining room on the last night and seeing all the empty chairs of those who stiffed the crew.

Those are still probably stiffing the crew - one way or another. You just don't see it as now they're eating their last dinner in the dining room.

Harriet

Those are still probably stiffing the crew - one way or another. You just don't see it as now they're eating their last dinner in the dining room.

Harriet

probably, but at least now it is an effort for them to do so. They use to have to stand in line to have it removed and now they have to stand in line to get a form and then email it in and both ways they had/have to interact with a person....who I can just think what the person behind the desk is thinking about them.

< clip >....

I don't see any evidence of obsession myself, just some people who think a little beyond "I got mine".....

Respectfully..you must not have been around this forum long if you haven't seen the complete obsession with tipping and the DSC. It's a weekly thread with most of the same suspects bickering with each other ad nauseum. It's actually sometimes entertaining but mostly those same people just make themselves look a wee bit looney.

I never realized the disdain Canadians have for Americans

I'm no dope but I always though of Canada as our neighbors to the north

I thought we liked each other

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Respectfully..you must not have been around this forum long if you haven't seen the complete obsession with tipping and the DSC. It's a weekly thread with most of the same suspects bickering with each other ad nauseum. It's actually sometimes entertaining but mostly those same people just make themselves look a wee bit looney.

I have never bothered clicking on a tipping thread before. If I had known what I was in for I probably wouldn't have started one.

You are describing someone who looks at the matter from a critical perspective in order to draw an informed conclusion. For what it's worth, I share your concerns and I do my best to align myself with trying to do right by some of the injustices I perceive.

As Colin points out, I'm talking about people (dare I say nut jobs) who assert their anecdotal opinion as fact. They inject non-truths into every thread on the matter. For example, if a new poster asks how they can tip a bartender a little extra, the correct and ONLY answer is cash or write-in on a ticket. Every single time someone will chime in about how DSC exists and there's no need to tip additional and on and on we go. That is the obsession I am describing.

Spot on.

Edited by triptolemus

This is the statement that, for some of us, seems an insult. And the person using it, knows very well that it is.

Years ago, when I worked for an American cable company, I had to be very careful not to use the word "about" since doing so, the person on the other line would get very upset realizing I was a Canadian. In some cases they'd even hang up.

Even today, I am very aware that using that word can cause some problems because it will bring all kinds of insults. While some are jesting, some are not.

So, while it may seem as though we Canadians have a disdain for you as Americans, it is not so. We have always thought of those in the USA as our friendly neighbors to the south and feel no hate towards you.

probably, but at least now it is an effort for them to do so. They use to have to stand in line to have it removed and now they have to stand in line to get a form and then email it in and both ways they had/have to interact with a person....who I can just think what the person behind the desk is thinking about them.

It is not the guests who are "stiffing the crew". It is the greedy management who knock down million dollar salaries and options, yet don't see fit to pay the crew what they deserve.

Have any of you considered managements motives when they discourage cash tipping and take control of the distribution of the DSC ??

Many of you try to lay a guilt trip on others but you don't know and it is not your business how and when others tip the crew.

Those who squat on these boards and dispute facts with opinions should face reality.

I haven't been around this forum long, true, probably about a month, and in that time I have read and participated in a whole bunch of threads on tipping and the DSC, so point taken.

I don't dispute it's a popular topic and one that people are passionate about; I do object to the characterization of people who care about things like how the tips/DSC are distributed as "obsessed" simply because I don't think it's correct, and honestly, I think it's a bit of a rhetorical device, designed to dismiss legit concerns about crew welfare as something pathological; but maybe in this context I am taking the word too literally.

You are describing someone who looks at the matter from a critical perspective in order to draw an informed conclusion. For what it's worth, I share your concerns and I do my best to align myself with trying to do right by some of the injustices I perceive.

As Colin points out, I'm talking about people (dare I say nut jobs) who assert their anecdotal opinion as fact. They inject non-truths into every thread on the matter. For example, if a new poster asks how they can tip a bartender a little extra, the correct and ONLY answer is cash or write-in on a ticket. Every single time someone will chime in about how DSC exists and there's no need to tip additional and on and on we go. That is the obsession I am describing.

Well Sir, perhaps we are suffering from a failure to communicate, because I read your first post, with its reference to "misplaced sympathy" and "so much interest into peeking into people's finances" as a bit of a chastisement. It read to me that your main issue was not with people nudging the topic, but instead with posters who had questions about where their tips/grats/dsc were going (and how they were being distributed). It's a lil hard for me to believe that someone who writes as well as you do would be so misunderstood on paper, but hey, stranger things have happened. Le benefit of le doubt granted, but with a little side eye ;)

And it's worth a lot, btw; I am glad to know you are on the side of righting wrongs.

And Rochelle ... <3 (I couldn't multi quote three)

This is the statement that, for some of us, seems an insult. And the person using it, knows very well that it is.

Years ago, when I worked for an American cable company, I had to be very careful not to use the word "about" since doing so, the person on the other line would get very upset realizing I was a Canadian. In some cases they'd even hang up.

Even today, I am very aware that using that word can cause some problems because it will bring all kinds of insults. While some are jesting, some are not.

So, while it may seem as though we Canadians have a disdain for you as Americans, it is not so. We have always thought of those in the USA as our friendly neighbors to the south and feel no hate towards you.

Oh please, where is your sense of humor. I love people from Canadia!