Gratuities

Deedee85

Really? I would think that cash in hand would be appreciated more. Were people stiffing them?

Many skipped out on the last nights dinner and didn't tip the servers anything, just like some do today, and that is why the system today is in place.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I was pointing out that calling a poster a voice of reason when he insults others and specifically Canadians seems silly.

So I called a Canadian a voice of reason... I couldn't care less if he is insulting to other Canadians. I don't see Canadians as the center of the universe any more so than anyone else.

Where did you hear this? Let me tell you, they all prefer cash. Cash is theirs, not pooled, NCL doesn't get a cut and they can use it immediately.

They prefer cash because they don't get taxed on it--unless they declare it !! Tips added to the bill are taxed, they keep the entire amount, and they are very grateful for ANY additional amount in ANY form.

The obsession on this forum with the DSC and tips is undeniably quite bizarre.

THIS!

I haven't cruised on NCL in a decade and I'm hoping that this board is not a true representation of who my fellow cruisers will be on my next cruise. It's mind boggling.

They prefer cash because they don't get taxed on it--unless they declare it !! Tips added to the bill are taxed, they keep the entire amount, and they are very grateful for ANY additional amount in ANY form.

The workers on the cruise ship are taxed according to the rules in their home country. Many countries don't tax tip income, just ordinary wages (the Philippines is one such country, and NCL has quite a few Filipino crew members). All of the tip income that comes through to a Filipino is tax free, so I imagine they prefer having a check that is $50 wages and the rest as tax-free tips.

I don't think NCL will ever be able to make tips "mandatory" and continue to provide their employees with tax-free income.