Allure of the seas

nmu1991

Yes..they will have several different juices, including orange, and tomato... "from concentrate" is what most folks buy at the grocery store...nothing wrong with it. Breakfast in the DR is much nicer than in the buffet....all the breakfast foods, and they serve you !!!

Edited by cb at sea

• 1 month later...
Looking into cruise excursions in St. Maarten and St Thomas. We are cruising on Allure of the Seas Feb 14 thru the 21 st. Any suggestions for excursions would be greatly appreciated.

What are your interests?

It's my husband and I and our 2 kids. 15 and 12. I would like to do one snorkel and one beach at either port which ever is best for those. I hear the shopping is great in St Thomas but can't find a shopping and beach without doing a tour of the island. I hear the tours are time suckers and would rather more beach time. People complain about the beach being at the end and not having enough time there. I do want to have a snorkel day in st Thomas or st Maarten. I think the kids need to experience that. Thanks for any suggestions.

It's my husband and I and our 2 kids. 15 and 12. I would like to do one snorkel and one beach at either port which ever is best for those. I hear the shopping is great in St Thomas but can't find a shopping and beach without doing a tour of the island. I hear the tours are time suckers and would rather more beach time. People complain about the beach being at the end and not having enough time there. I do want to have a snorkel day in st Thomas or st Maarten. I think the kids need to experience that. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do a little research for non-ship excursions to see if you can find one that fits your needs.

Also, post your question on the St. Thomas forum. Here is a link ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

We did a tour to St John to go to Trunk Bay while we docked in St Thomas, but that day visibility was not good and that really sucked bc I had been wanting to go there since I was a kid. It's not that busy though bc it does take quite a while to get there. You have to take a ferry over, or if you do it by yourself, you can take a taxi to Red Hook and take a shorter ferry over.

Or you can do Magen's Bay which is on St Thomas and much closer to where the ship docks but I don't know if the snorkeling is any good there.

Did not get a chance to snorkel either on St Maarten. We booked a bad tour (Bernard's) and the only ocean time you get is on Orient Beach, and since you have minors, I will let you know it is a French beach on the French side of the island and the women are topless, and on the right side of the beach it is full nude. The beach wasn't that nice anyway. It is resort style where you have to rent a beach chair. You can't just lay your towel down on the sand. There's waves anyway so you can't really snorkel. Then there are the vendors that hassle you every minute or so. Even if you are polite and decline whatever they are selling, they give you dirty looks before moving on. I would never go back to this place.

Edited by whataboutport

We are taking our cruise February 14th thru the 21st on the Allure of the Seas. This will be my first time seeing white sand beaches. We are looking into an excursion to St. Johns. Any suggestions on how to get there and what to do?

We are taking our cruise February 14th thru the 21st on the Allure of the Seas. This will be my first time seeing white sand beaches. We are looking into an excursion to St. Johns. Any suggestions on how to get there and what to do?

This is just my opinion and surely others will disagree, but as you are a first time cruiser, I highly suggest that you book your tours through the cruiseline and do not try to go about getting to St Johns or take other tours independently.

Why do I say this? It is easier for a first time cruiser because the ship's excursion department organizes everything, where and when to meet and where to go. You pay in advance. You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance if you change your mind. Ship organized tours cost more, but they use vetted tour companies and the ship will wait for you if your tour is delayed returning to the ship.

If you try to book an unknown entity and try to find your way around a place you have never been before, it can be harder.

Others will tell you it is cheaper to book independently and some will give you names of reputable tour guides they have used. That is fine if you decide to go that route, but, honestly, I believe that for an inexperienced cruiser, booking through the ship is the least anxiety provoking way. The ship offers many interesting tour options for each port you will have.

Allure has an excursion desk where you can get information and sign up for tours even on the same morning or the port call. Really popular tours do fill up, however, so you might not get the most popular tours if you wait.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation and will want to cruise many more times. I have been on Allure many times. It is a fabulous ship with so much to do. It is a great ship for kids the age of yours.

This is just my opinion and surely others will disagree, but as you are a first time cruiser, I highly suggest that you book your tours through the cruiseline and do not try to go about getting to St Johns or take other tours independently.

Why do I say this? It is easier for a first time cruiser because the ship's excursion department organizes everything, where and when to meet and where to go. You pay in advance. You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance if you change your mind. Ship organized tours cost more, but they use vetted tour companies and the ship will wait for you if your tour is delayed returning to the ship.

If you try to book an unknown entity and try to find your way around a place you have never been before, it can be harder.

Others will tell you it is cheaper to book independently and some will give you names of reputable tour guides they have used. That is fine if you decide to go that route, but, honestly, I believe that for an inexperienced cruiser, booking through the ship is the least anxiety provoking way. The ship offers many interesting tour options for each port you will have.

Allure has an excursion desk where you can get information and sign up for tours even on the same morning or the port call. Really popular tours do fill up, however, so you might not get the most popular tours if you wait.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation and will want to cruise many more times. I have been on Allure many times. It is a fabulous ship with so much to do. It is a great ship for kids the age of yours.

Some good advise there. For example, a first time cruiser would not know that ship time and local time are not always the same.