Questions about Getaway Balconies

mafig

I think I'm ready to try NCL again. It's been a few years and the last couple of cruises on NCL were in suites, but now the price of suites is SO high. However, I've found really good reviews of these new NCL ships on other boards .... like Princess and Celebrity. This would never have happened in years past, so there must be something to like about Breakaway.

Can you answer a few questions about balcony cabins to get me started?

How are the aft balconies? Soot? Size of balconies? Furniture? Compare with a "large balcony" category.

Now Mini suite balconies. The cruise I'm looking at has a regular mini suite priced the same as a aft (regular)balcony. Differences? Pluses and Minuses? How are the Mini's with large balconies?

Thanks for any help you can give me.:)

Edited by mafig

I think I'm ready to try NCL again. It's been a few years and the last couple of cruises on NCL were in suites, but now the price of suites is SO high. However, I've found really good reviews of these new NCL ships on other boards .... like Princess and Celebrity. This would never have happened in years past, so there must be something to like about Breakaway.

Can you answer a few questions about balcony cabins to get me started?

How are the aft balconies? Soot? Size of balconies? Furniture? Compare with a "large balcony" category.

Now Mini suite balconies. The cruise I'm looking at has a regular mini suite priced the same as a aft (regular)balcony. Differences? Pluses and Minuses? How are the Mini's with large balconies?

Thanks for any help you can give me.:)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10YW7fMQarer30UCHKqKJ_zLDmbyMTczCTtYf2XRflh8/pub?single=true&gid=0&output=html

That document was put together by a wonderful Cruise Critic member...lots of information on that about the sizes of each category....also photos if you click on the blue X's

Currently we are in Getaway minisuite 9242. My parents are in midship balcony room 9244 which is next door to us.

My parents' balcony is bigger than ours even though we are higher up in cabin category.

I think the difference between mini suite and balcony is the washroom only.

Next time we book, it will probably be balcony unless mini suite is super cheap.

Oh according to my MIL who cruises with Celebrity, Royal and other lines, she said that our balcony is the smallest she has seen.

Now for us who never had a balcony previously, we are just happy to have one.

Edited by sorgau

Currently we are in Getaway minisuite 9242. My parents are in midship balcony room 9244 which is next door to us.

My parents' balcony is bigger than ours even though we are higher up in cabin category.

I think the difference between mini suite and balcony is the washroom only.

Next time we book, it will probably be balcony unless mini suite is super cheap.

Oh according to my MIL who cruises with Celebrity, Royal and other lines, she said that our balcony is the smallest she has seen.

Now for us who never had a balcony previously, we are just happy to have one.

We were looking at Regal Princess and most of those balconies are 9 x 4 (you can't even face the chairs forward), so your balcony is most likely bigger than that.

Got Tequilla, thank you for that link. Between that and Search my questions should be answered (hopefully) or I'll be back.

Edited by mafig

I was in a spa balcony on Breakaway and it was so small. I was afraid to walk around a chair which just fit.

I gave up an aft on deck 9 for the spa thinking it would be better. So sorry I did that.

I am going on a Getaway next year and won't make that mistake twice

The mini suites with large balcony are very similar inside to the normal mini suites. Possibly the bathroom is a bit different, but I'm not sure (not been in a standard mini on the Getaway.

However, the balcony is huge. Some complain that it is overlooked, as it does stick out a lot from the standard balconies above, but about a third of it is covered.

If balcony size is important then I'd certainly recommend them. I will stay there again if I return to the breakaway or getaway.

The mini suites on Deck 8 have huge balconies, even more so that the aft ones. Deck 9 are a little smaller and the rest of the balconies on the ships are tiny. If you can't do a mini on Deck 8-9 or grab the BD 8738 or 8138 - I would not pick a balcony room.

We spent only about an hour total on our balcony since the Western Itinerary is port intensive and I liked being on the Waterfront.

We stayed in 8738 and pic is below. Balcony is huge, even though it is a BD and labeled wrong on deck plans. I booked 8710 for my next cruise on the Getaway.

Balcony8738.jpg.e9fd8745689776a658606e63f4e1c894.jpg

[quote name=escentialssoycandles;48429900

We stayed in 8738 and pic is below. Balcony is huge' date=' even though it is a BD and labeled wrong on deck plans. I booked 8710 for my next cruise on the Getaway.[/quote]

What kind of furniture do you have there? Three chairs and a table? Did you request the extra chair or was it there? I hate having a large® balcony and then not having any extra furniture. Cruiselines seem to hate giving away loungers or footstools anymore, even though the space warrants them.

Thank you for your post and picture.:)

• 10 months later...

We just got off of the breakaway. Stayed in a mini suite. The balcony was tiny. Two chairs and you couldn't move them anywhere. The cabin next to us, was also a mini suite but had a large balcony. It was #9244. The norm for balcony size with the mini suites is tiny. Tinier than you could ever imagine. But the bathroom is very nice. Nice and big. A huge shower area.

I'm booked in a spa mini suite. I want to keep the large bathroom for my husband since he doesn't care about the balcony but i want the large balcony and the spa. Any suggestions.

Tell your husband either 1) nothing. 2) that his choice was no longer available. ;)

I know that in my house being the travel arranger has its perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was in a spa balcony room (14722) on the Getaway last week. The balcony was very tiny. It fit two chairs and a small table, but barely. When my husband and I were standing on the balcony we were consistently bumping into the furniture. I do love getting the thermal suite passes though - it sure beats the busy pool area! So relaxing for hot tub, therapy pool, reading and naps! I noticed there was a difference in the spa balcony rooms next to our's, so there may be different categories of spa balconies. The one's next to us had flooring, rather than carpeting, and a neat looking closet.

We had 10314 aft facing balcony on Getaway which had a huge balcony 2 loungers, 2 chairs and a small table.

We have booked two aft balcony rooms for our transatlantic cruise April 30, 10314 and 10914. Do you happen to have pictures of your cabin please?