Why doesn't Carnival....

A&Jfamily

Family of planners over here!

We print out Daily schedules from past cruises to get an idea of what will happen on ours. Some things(the times at least) don't change such as meals, tea, shows, contests, trivia, themes...

I see no reason Carnival can't post a few schedules online to give people an idea of what to expect. As long as they are clear that the schedule is just a sample and will change somewhat, what is the harm?

There are many resorts and AIs that do just this already and it seems to please everyone. Also helps with getting new customers as they can see what they may be doing each day.

what I would like to see is a list of themes on cruises. I have looked and looked, but don't see ahead of time that there's 70's/80's night, pirate night, etc.

I agree that a whole fun times guide is a bit extra, but to know that there's special themes onboard is reasonable

Unfortunately none of the ships have these kinds of theme cruises. Most is electric white night in the disco (wear white and get a discount on your drink) Halloween has a costume party if you cruise on the 31st. The nightclub may play a certain type of music (70s, 80s, etc,) but you don't have to dress for it. Even the Mexican deck party doesn't require a costume.

27926-profile.png

my-cruise-countdown.aspx?dat=01%2F11%2F2016&dest=M&ship=ISMy Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to Mexico on 01/11/2016 aboard the Carnival Inspiration! Visit Carnival.com to see all Mexico cruises

I cruise for Creme brulee, chocolate melting cake and lobster!

AJ & Family,

I love seeing a Fun Times posted as well. Sometimes people post the most recently one and most times they don't. Some of these CC people love nothing better than to discourage people because they don't feel as though they have a legitimate question.

Keep on posting any question that you have and don't worry about what others have to say unless it is positive.

Derek

I went back to my fun times for our cruise over Christmas on the miracle in 2013. For that cruise they had snow and singing in the atrium at 5:30, 6:30, and 8:00on Christmas eve. There wasn't a special Christmas program that year. I know different ships do have different schedules, but since no one else has any helpful responses, I thought I would share with you what I could find.

I think I read there will be a Christmas service on all ships this year. Not sure if it will Christmas eve or Christmas day.

Also I think all ships will have an ugly sweater event/contest.

Hope this information will assist you plan accordingly.

How about this? Rather than ask them to put out the Fun Times in advance, how about posting the Fun Times for the past few cruises for each ship online? Not ALL of them, but at least one for each itinerary. Since I expect that, short of getting a new cruise director, the daily schedule doesn't change all that much (maybe even not much with a new CD), this would give the planners an idea of what to expect, without creating some expectation of the schedule being "set in stone." Yes, SOME are available online and yes, we can search for them, but I am talking about an official posting for each ship. Like JH's blog site has some, giving folks an idea of what to expect.

Just a thought...

Edited by kbanowsky

Having not done the Funtimes before, my guess is that even though there are a lot of standard things, they probably don't always know when and where everything will occur and make changes daily. That is probably why they are printed daily as well.

If they gave them out in advance and then changed them, people would complain for sure.

There are plenty of sample Funtimes posted so we can get a general idea of what is going to take place and that works for me.

I am more concerned that sometime in the future, they will do away with them altogether and I like having the printed copies to write on, etc. I am old school though! I still prefer to read a real book! :D

The funny thing about all this is that some time in the future, maybe within 5 years, the FT's will probably go digital, and be sent to your phone or other PED. For those who think "its too much trouble and expense" to upload a working database, consider the expense of compiling, printing and delivering 1000+ paper FT's each night to each room.

Clearly that is the trend, everything is changing and we are are headed to an almost paperless society. I think A&J had a great, insightful suggestion!

I'm also a planner, but only for the big things (port excursions, travel details, etc).

DH and I have a routine on our cruises. We have late dining, so our room is made up at that time. We stop back at the room after dinner on our way to some other activity, and we will grab the Fun Times and peruse it before the show or while sitting at the bar having a drink, or even when we get back to our room before turning in, and talk about what interests us for the next day.

I really do like to have all the details nailed down, but sometimes I feel like the fun is kind of sucked out of the trip with all of the specifics that people want. I realize that different things are important to different people, and maybe my "planning gene" has mellowed with age, but after cruising so many times it's kind of nice to have some things that are "unknowns".

And, I agree with previous posters who have said that this would be a logistics nightmare, and horrible for the people at Guest Services who would be receiving complaints about changes. "I studied for 80's music trivia and now you're changing it." "I packed clothes for a white party and now you cancelled it". "Our party of four cabins who have paid lots of money for this cruise have already seen that movie you have scheduled - you need to change it." (This kind of complaint would start even before people even got on the ship). And on and on.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

When the Carnival Hub app goes fleetwide, it would be nice if people post the Funtimes online.

It should be as simple as airdropping it from the hub to CC... No having to scan the actual paper product after the cruise.

Of course, online Funtimes would be cool too.

The funny thing about all this is that some time in the future, maybe within 5 years, the FT's will probably go digital, and be sent to your phone or other PED. For those who think "its too much trouble and expense" to upload a working database, consider the expense of compiling, printing and delivering 1000+ paper FT's each night to each room.

Clearly that is the trend, everything is changing and we are are headed to an almost paperless society. I think A&J had a great, insightful suggestion!

If Carnival chooses to do what you suggest, the Funtimes will be sent to the TV, not to everyone's PED since again, nobody wants to type 2000 - 3000+ email addresses and many people don't have PEDs or if they do, they don't turn them on during the cruise.

Because some people won't read the "subject to change" and get upset when something is moved or removed. It's just like ports, but when a port is changed for whatever reason, you get people complaining about it.

I think it's ridiculous to ask that they do what you've mentioned OP because there'd be no "subject to change" about it and I don't think they plan that far ahead, simply; they deal with the variables in front of them as they put together the same regular things with them in mind. They do this very near-up for a variety of reasons I understand.

What I do wish and think is reasonable is if I didn't have to post for or scour for recent Funtimes for a ship/itinerary and if they were just routinely posted online (like if I could see the last 10 or so Fun Times for each ship and it was automated).

I agree with the above. Some people would ignore the "subject to change" disclaimer and demand restitution if their ship and schedule does not match 100% the sample FT posted by Carnival Corp on a Carnival Corp website.

I like the suggestion of putting a sample schedule on a Carnival-owned website, similar to how they have a sample Steakhouse menu. Of course the Steakhouse menu probably changes less frequently than the FT and the changes are less subject to sea conditions and other factors than the FT. But rather than post a specific FT with the slotted times for the events, something like "Port Day list of activities" and "Sea Day list of activities", or a sample schedule without specific times listed, might be helpful. I've read FTs, Princess Patters and RC Cruise Compasses that CC'ers and others post online in order to determine whether a particular ship will have enough events of interest to me.

I was able to choose between two ships based on Cruise Compasses posted online, because I was able to see what kinds of activities were onboard, how long certain venues are open on sea days vs. port days, and so forth - with the understanding that any of these factors is subject to change.

I'm grateful to those who have posted their FTs/Compasses/Patters etc. :)

post the FunTimes for each sailing in advance - subject to change of course?

There are two types of people that we see very commonly on this board - the "hey it's my vacation and I am just gonna fly by the seat of my pants," and the rest, that are like me and are "planners." Now I understand you "flyers" don't get it and think we "planners" are nuts, but I hope you can accept that is just how we are wired and a "planned" vacation makes for a much more relaxing one for us. On a personal note, I have tried in many things to be a "flyer" and it is just not in my cards - if I do like my BFF and wait until 2 weeks before my kids birthday to schedule his party, they are full up for a month in either direction where as she makes one phone call and they have the exact date and time she wanted. It's just the way it is.

Now, back to my question...for all of those "planners' out there, it would be really nice have, in advance, not only and idea of what will be going on but when. I have cruised a fair amount as you can see from my signature below, and know what to expect on your average cruise. But how many new cruisers come on and ask such questions? And now that we are taking a Christmas cruise, and everything is "new," I would love not only to have an idea of things that will be scheduled (another poster has nicely provided a FB response he got about the nature of the activities) but when to expect them.

And yes, I know - things can change. Performers miss the port etc. But for me I would love it if I could plan more! Anyone feel my pain?

Some people are acting like it's crazy to want to see the fun times in advance but I like you would enjoy doing so and if it makes you feel any better we are not alone. If there were not a lot of people who wish to see the fun times in advance then John Heald would not have a link to a site where you can see fun times for the various ships recently. These are helpful in that they are very similar to the fun times that will be present on a given cruise unless the ship undergoes major changes such as a dry dock or change of itinerary before the cruise.

I am a tad OCD (alot) so I feel your pain. Lol. I'm always worried I will miss something. I want to book the spa for an upcoming cruise but can't decide on a time or day yet because I don't know what else will be going on. I would say reach out to John Heald, he might have some insight.

If Carnival chooses to do what you suggest, the Funtimes will be sent to the TV, not to everyone's PED since again, nobody wants to type 2000 - 3000+ email addresses and many people don't have PEDs or if they do, they don't turn them on during the cruise.

Do you have any idea how digital data works? No one would have to "type in" anything. Data bases contain all emails already and can easily be uploaded as needed. We are in 2015, not 1980.

1) I didn't say "everyone" had a mobile device (but almost everyone does, in 2015).

2) TA's forward the customers info to Carnival.

3) I am the one who originally posted they would come via TV, first. Look back 9 posts ago. You will see it.

There are a large number of daily activities, bar/lounge/dining option hours, etc. that are the same for a particular day in an itinerary. These are most likely carried over from Fun Times to Fun Times. Even events with particular bands, comedians, etc. are at specific times which are the same cruise to cruise. Thus it shouldn't be that big of a hassle for Carnival to maintain in cloud or on the web, an activities schedule/entertainment lineup for each ship, each itinerary. I would be surprised if each ship's word processing/printing software didn't already has such a list and format. For any listing that changes, performers or times or venues cruise to cruise, they can list TBA (to be announced) and refer to the daily Fun Times on board.

Naturally if changes in itinerary occur, like missing a port and having another fun day at sea, the ship's daily Fun Times will change. And that should be expected by all planners (da, comrade?:rolleyes:).

I went back to my fun times for our cruise over Christmas on the miracle in 2013. For that cruise they had snow and singing in the atrium at 5:30, 6:30, and 8:00on Christmas eve. There wasn't a special Christmas program that year. I know different ships do have different schedules, but since no one else has any helpful responses, I thought I would share with you what I could find.

I think I read there will be a Christmas service on all ships this year. Not sure if it will Christmas eve or Christmas day.

Also I think all ships will have an ugly sweater event/contest.

Hope this information will assist you plan accordingly.

Thank you! It is VERY helpful to know that they did the snow/singing at 3 different times! You are the first person that has seemed to have that type of information. There was a great post a few weeks ago about all the goings on, but it didn't give any idea as to timing. It is nice to see that something as "fun" as caroling and snow will be available multiple times.

And yes, to the others that asked, I will either save and scan the fun times (DH might kill me for that) or else make note of the "timing" of things so that on future Christmas cruises, others like me might have a better idea.

And for those of you that seem to think I am nuts, if you read my post initially, you might understand why I like to plan things - if I don't, it's not in my cards. Believe me, I have tried. And please don't think that I have every minute of every day planned out - not even close. I have a "general idea" of when we might wake up - just based upon years of getting up with the sun - it's just what my body does - so whether that is 5:30 or 7, my body cares not - if the room is light, my body says "up!" I know I will eat breakfast - where depends on mood and shore plans. I will eat lunch - where? Who knows.. I will spend a lot of time on my balcony. I will eat dinner...likely the MDR. If it is a sea day I also will likely squeeze in tea. I don't plan every second of every day.

And I do think it very possible for Carnival, in their FAQ, to keep recent past FunTimes - all it would take is a link to a scanned copy. It could be listed as a "sample" just like they do with the menu. And, it would save TONS of questions on here about what to expect, do etc., and perhaps even sell more cruises because people we know that there is no way to be bored. And as for my specific question about Christmas, again, a link with a sample FunTimes, based upon this years offerings, should be simple. The same would be true for New Years, SuperBowl, Valentine's Day etc.

And just because someone doesn't read - "sample subject to change based upon availability" is not a reason NOT to post them. Making or not making Grand Turk is subject to change - sorry in advance to all those who are cruising with me as there is a good shot, based upon my past record, we will not be making port - especially since I have a lovely shore excursion planned for my family:eek: - yet people still lose their minds when it doesn't happen. People's stupidity is not what should govern whether or not something is done. And don't worry, if we don't make port I will have a lovely day at sea. And extra DOD or two will see to that.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Can you imagine the complaints if they posted them in advance but then made changes (for whatever reason).

But I booked to see ....

I made my plans based in there being 6 trivia sessions, but there were only 4!

And so on and so forth.

Its a great suggestion, A&J. Just ignore all the negativity. Some people thrive trying to shoot holes in others thoughts and ideas. Like it or not, everything in society is becoming more digitized, and Carnival won't be an exception. Sooner or later they will realize Carnival does not use DOS based 286's and 5.25" floppy disks.

Hey I got an idea! Why don't we just ask them to expand the fun times library kept by John Heald? If they posted all the past fun times for every cruise and itinerary then it would be very clear that they are historical but would also give the information we are requesting. And scanning even multiple fun times brochures would not be expensive or difficult since these are already in the computers since thats where they were originally created. These days memory is so cheap in a computer that it is not difficult at all to have even large libraries of information and use very little computer space so I do not think keeping such a library would be a very difficult thing.

I don't feel the need to have the exact schedule, but for newbies in particular, it would be nice to have something on the website like "Here are some of the activities that will (or may) be available during your cruise", maybe highlighting some activities that might need advance planning for those who might be interested in participating, such as special dress-up events in the disco, or certain poolside "contests".

Seriously, while the times may change, how often are the bigger events totally cancelled? Just don't give an exact time or day.

I can rarely, if ever, find in advance which nights are going to be formal, which would impact whether or not I would make specialty dining reservations for those nights. (Yes, I'm well aware that they are usually sea days...but which ones?)

Edited by srlafleur