Solo cruise line ranking

mrobstad

I'm a long time Cruise Critic and solo traveler. When I began solo cruising, I switched from RCCL to NCL because of the studio cabins. I'm currently searching for a cruise out of FLL to the Caribbean, and though I utilize the search engine of the online TA we all (solos) use, I'm frustrated finding lower single supplements. I've read CC folks advise mock bookings, but that takes forever. So, I'm thinking if I asked experienced solo cruisers to rank cruise lines by availability of lower single supplements, that might help. Thanks in advance.

I only know of NCL, they often have no single supplement fee on many sailings and I am not talking about the ships with studio lounges. Regular ships.

Carnival used to have sailing with no single supplement, but I have not seen any since last year. Now they have very limited sailings with 150% but only for sailings within one or two months.

Are you familiar with cruiseplum?

Hi, this is just my opinion...as an experienced cruiser who always

sails solo with over 40 cruises.....I no longer look at the SS. I just

look at the total cruise price and if that cruise is within my budget.

You are looking to sail from Ft. Lauderdale? Most (if not all) of the

Mass market lines sail from there.....I sail Celebrity but I know HAL,

Princess, Royal, Carnival,...all sail from there. Sometimes Royal and

Celebrity offer what is called "Happy hour pricing" which comes out

on Tuesdays.....you could check that with both lines.....

Hope you find what you are looking for....as I mentioned, I just look

at the total price since I know the SS is going to be there.

Thanks everyone. I've never heard of cruiseplum, so I'll give it a shot. I've seen u on the boards a lot, Lois, but I'm still stuck on the single supplement. I'll go as high as 25% supplement, but have problems going higher. I know Carnival used to do solo pricing, and RCCL rarely has solo friendly pricing. So far, there's a Princess cruise that fits my parameters, but I've gotten spoiled by NCL....but they cruise mainly out of Miami.....I sound like a brat, so I apologize! I should be grateful I'm not bound by school schedules anymore. Thanks again!

Thanks everyone. I've never heard of cruiseplum, so I'll give it a shot. I've seen u on the boards a lot, Lois, but I'm still stuck on the single supplement. I'll go as high as 25% supplement, but have problems going higher. I know Carnival used to do solo pricing, and RCCL rarely has solo friendly pricing. So far, there's a Princess cruise that fits my parameters, but I've gotten spoiled by NCL....but they cruise mainly out of Miami.....I sound like a brat, so I apologize! I should be grateful I'm not bound by school schedules anymore. Thanks again!

You don't sound like a brat....you sound like you want specific pricing.

And it sounds like NCL is the line that fits your needs. I was just giving

you my point of view but it does sound like you know what you want.

It sounds like the supplement is a big part of what you look at when you book, and I can understand that, as we all want a good deal. However, I would agree with Lois, when I look at booking a cruise, I look more at the total price and not what percentage the supplement is. Sometimes that percentage can be misleading.

Take NCL for example. I like NCL and I am platinum on them, but I have seen their pricing vary so much from time to time, that it is cheaper to book a regular inside and pay the supplement than it is to book a studio with no supplement. Plus you get a bigger room with the regular inside. I like to try all the lines and have seen the pricing vary on all of them, so that is why I like to look at the total price rather than what percentage the supplement is.

When I have looked at cruises in the past, I have sometimes found some big differences between different lines that were doing the same itinerary. I won't mention the lines but in some cases the fare with only a 30% supplement was still quite a bit higher than another line with a 100% supplement. These were mass market lines, not premium lines, as those obviously are going to be more expensive.

Whatever works for you and makes you happy is probably the best way to go, as it is your trip. Happy Sailing.

Travel nap and Lois, I value your opinions as I've followed both of you on CC. While SS is a factor, it's not the only factor and I agree with paragraph 2 of travel nap. Right now, I'm looking at a Princess cruise and this summer, too. I haven't traveled with them in a while. They look like they price certain cruises for solos, whereas I haven't seen a favorable Carnival rate in ages. My go to line is indeed NCL, and I start with a studio, but have a great PCC who usually gets me upgraded to a balcony. I'm also disappointed in RCCL. Even the new ships with a few studios have zero availability. I hope that sends a message to RCCL to expand that category. Finally, my assumption, perhaps incorrect, is that those cruises that are 200% above other solo rates are either "lesser" ships or poorer itineraries. I know this is not always true, but suspect it is so in the Caribbean, where itinerary ranks second to itinerary for me. Thanks again. Still haven't seen a ranking......lol

A Ranking? So you want to be told top to bottom who offers the best...etc..

That is different for everyone........for me? Celebrity ranks 1.

I have sailed HAL once, Royal twice and that was with a group of friends

from around the state of Florida that I have met through CC (I don't

share my cabin though) and many, many years ago I sailed Carnival.

I would think rankings would be based on what each person is happy with

and who they choose to continue to sail with.......

Keep in mind that the NCL "studio" isn't zero single supplement. It's an interior with a higher per person rate compared to normal interior rate based on double occupancy. For instance, the December 12 Escape has studio for $1349 and an interior at $699 (based on two people) so the studio has 192% single supplement. That's why I don't look at supplements any more. I just look at price per day. If it's below $150 (with fees and taxes), I'm interested.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My big problem is that I work in a university library and am somewhat tied to an academic calendar. The best times for me to cruise are May/June and the Christmas/New Year holidays.

This year I wanted to cruise Alaska from Vancouver roundtrip but couldn't find a trip with decent pricing. I ended up doing a pacific coastal because I got the 7 night cruise for right around $1,000 for an ov. I pay no attention to ss. I figure what is most important to me pricewise is the price of the cruise.

If you can be flexible about dates, cruise line and cruise ships, and itinerary I figure there are decent deals out there. I am amazed at some of the good deals I see listed on some of the solo cruiser threads. I'm hoping that someday when I retire I can take advantage of these deals. Faith

Faith, I just retired from education, and love the flexibility. But as for a ranking, for me it's looking like NCL, Princess, Holland, Cunnard, RCL, Carnival for solo pricing. Celebrity is a little pricey for me, Lois.

It's a rough guesstimate, and varies by destination....and while it's true the studios can often be pricey on NCL, a good PCC will upgrade you from that room.

I am not sure you will ever find any kind of a useful ranking. Cruise lines vary prices too much with certain sales and different supplements for different categories.

For example, RCI almost always charges solos 200% no matter which category of stateroom. However, my recent RCI cruise was booked when they were having a BOGO sale (pay full rate for the first person in the cabin and half for the second) and they honored that for my cabin so I "only" paid 150%.

On Cunard the usual going rate for interior, OV and balcony is 175% while suites are 200%. Very similar on HAL with interior and ocean views usually going around 165-170% but 200% on balconies and suites.

Then there are the specials where certain cruises on a line will have a much lower or no single supplement.

Just too many variables to make any kind of a practical comparison.

As others have said, I look at the total price and decide if I can afford it. Although I may not enjoy paying it, the extra cost is worth the luxury of having my own cabin.

mrobstad, I would agree with Lois and Scrapnana, it is very difficult to pick one cruise line over another as we all have different things that we look for in a cruise line. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad cruise, but there were lines that I liked better than other lines, because they have more of the things I look for. I like a walk around promenade deck and I read a lot, so a good library is a big plus for me. I have sailed on all the mass market lines with the exception of Cunard, and enjoyed them all, but my personal preference would be HAL or NCL. I know Lois likes Celebrity, and others love RCI. It doesn't mean one is wrong and the other right, it just means that we are all different and like different things. That is why it would be difficult to rank the various lines for solos, because as solos we all like to do our own thing. I just hope that you continue to enjoy your cruises, no matter which line you choose to sail on.

Edited by travelnap
spelling

mrobstad, I would agree with Lois and Scrapnana, it is very difficult to pick one cruise line over another as we all have different things that we look for in a cruise line. I can honestly say that I have never had a bad cruise, but there were lines that I liked better than other lines, because they have more of the things I look for. I like a walk around promenade deck and I read a lot, so a good library is a big plus for me. I have sailed on all the mass market lines with the exception of Cunard, and enjoyed them all, but my personal preference would be HAL or NCL. I know Lois likes Celebrity, and others love RCI. It doesn't mean one is wrong and the other right, it just means that we are all different and like different things. That is why it would be difficult to rank the various lines for solos, because as solos we all like to do our own thing. I just hope that you continue to enjoy your cruises, no matter which line you choose to sail on.

Great post Neil:)

While I agree with everything you say, Neil, the one factor you left out was budget. Yes, there are aspects of ships I enjoy, eg. I love the Solarium on RCCL Radiance class ships, love the NCL speciality dining on the waterfront. But, when budget becomes a factor, I'd rather take two cheaper Caribbean cruises than one. A ranking wouldn't apply to the Mediterranean because those cruises are port intensive and dependent.

Travel nap and Lois, I value your opinions as I've followed both of you on CC. While SS is a factor, it's not the only factor and I agree with paragraph 2 of travel nap. Right now, I'm looking at a Princess cruise and this summer, too. I haven't traveled with them in a while. They look like they price certain cruises for solos, whereas I haven't seen a favorable Carnival rate in ages. My go to line is indeed NCL, and I start with a studio, but have a great PCC who usually gets me upgraded to a balcony. I'm also disappointed in RCCL. Even the new ships with a few studios have zero availability. I hope that sends a message to RCCL to expand that category. Finally, my assumption, perhaps incorrect, is that those cruises that are 200% above other solo rates are either "lesser" ships or poorer itineraries. I know this is not always true, but suspect it is so in the Caribbean, where itinerary ranks second to itinerary for me. Thanks again. Still haven't seen a ranking......lol

A HUGE problem on RCCL is that although the studios are designed for 1 person, you can book them for 2. And there are so few that you really have to book so early!

I'm a long time Cruise Critic and solo traveler. When I began solo cruising, I switched from RCCL to NCL because of the studio cabins. I'm currently searching for a cruise out of FLL to the Caribbean, and though I utilize the search engine of the online TA we all (solos) use, I'm frustrated finding lower single supplements. I've read CC folks advise mock bookings, but that takes forever. So, I'm thinking if I asked experienced solo cruisers to rank cruise lines by availability of lower single supplements, that might help. Thanks in advance.

Wish I could help you with your quest in determining a ranking, but I've reached a point in my life where I no longer chase single supplements. I look at the total cost of cabin/cruise, and if I feel I can afford it, I book. I think you'll find quite a few of us on this board who share that same line of thinking.

Hi Lois! :D

Tony

Wish I could help you with your quest in determining a ranking, but I've reached a point in my life where I no longer chase single supplements. I look at the total cost of cabin/cruise, and if I feel I can afford it, I book. I think you'll find quite a few of us on this board who share that same line of thinking.

Hi Lois! :D

Tony

Hi Tony:D...we think the same way.;):)

I agree with you when it comes to Royal Caribbean. I like them but their prices are out of control. I've actually priced inside rooms that are not only the full 200 percent but even more than that! I have a Christmas trip this year I'm doing but after that I'm going over to NCL (which I've cruised on before and really like) and giving Princess a try as well. Those two lines also seem much more solo friendly when it comes to solo get togethers and such.

I hope you find something to your liking as well.

I agree with you when it comes to Royal Caribbean. I like them but their prices are out of control. I've actually priced inside rooms that are not only the full 200 percent but even more than that!

This is when you call them-- often some categories are not price for singles (in my experience guarantees). If you call, they will allocate a room for you. I've now done this three times successfully.

While I agree with everything you say, Neil, the one factor you left out was budget. Yes, there are aspects of ships I enjoy, eg. I love the Solarium on RCCL Radiance class ships, love the NCL speciality dining on the waterfront. But, when budget becomes a factor, I'd rather take two cheaper Caribbean cruises than one. A ranking wouldn't apply to the Mediterranean because those cruises are port intensive and dependent.

I agree with you, budget is important, as the better pricing we find, the more cruises we can all take. That is why I like to look at the total price of the cruise rather than what percentage the single supplement is. If I am looking at a similar itinerary, I usually go with the best deal, unless the pricing is close, then I will pick one of my preferred lines. That is why I have tried most of the various lines as the fares they were offering for a solo trip, were just too good to pass up.

This is when you call them-- often some categories are not price for singles (in my experience guarantees). If you call, they will allocate a room for you. I've now done this three times successfully.

Denatravels are you referring to last minute trips or trips in general? I have a cruise website I use so should I ask my TA to call Royal and see what they can do for me or just call RC directly?

Denatravels are you referring to last minute trips or trips in general? I have a cruise website I use so should I ask my TA to call Royal and see what they can do for me or just call RC directly?

Either one (if you use a TA they need to call). But I have found that the guarantees are not always available for solos to book, which is likely why people are seeing more than 200%. But I've done this on Royal three times with success.