3 Ships?

illybell

Hello! We're leaving on our first HAL cruise in 4 weeks and I just noticed that our Grand Turk day has 3 ships in port. The 3rd arrives 3 hours before we leave, and we're the first of the day. So claiming chairs should be too much of an issue.

I'm really just curious if anyone else has been there with 3 ships at once? I assume 1 tenders, but where to? When we were there last year it doesn't look like it's really set up for that.

You are good to be the first to arrive but I imagine it will become quite busy.

We are considering a cruise where we will dock at 11 am with at least one other ship already there. We liked the idea of a beachy port but it is making us think again.

I think I will look at cruises with more traditional ports and beaches to go to without the huge crowds....

I will be interested in the experiences of those who arrived on the second (or third!) ship. Where there chairs and (dare I ask) shady spots to sit at the beach by the ship?

It will be very crowded but seeing you are first in, you'll get seats if you don't linger too long on the ship.

Not too much shade at the beach near the ship but there is shade at the huge pool area.

I figured crowded. We were there last year with 2 ships that got in at the same time. And with the last one coming in about the time we'll be packing up to get back on board I'm not concerned.

I'm wondering about the logistics because even the information my TA (from that triple letter big name) is given says it's only set up for 2 ships at a time. I get that it's more money for them and it's popular now, but it's interesting to me to know how it works cause I'm kinda nerdy haha

• 2 weeks later...

Unless they made changes, I don't see how 3 ships can be accommodated.

The quay only had room for 2 ships to dock when we were there last year and there is no place to anchor near the cruise port as the water is either too shallow and a reef or it is past "The Wall" and 6,000' deep.

Maybe they made a way, but 3 ships are just too many people for the facilities, IMO.

I've checked 4 of the schedules, including the one from Grand Turk itself

I agree with you, there are a few days in January showing 3 ships there at the same time. I did not look at the specific ships, is it possible that 2 of the ships are significantly smaller than PANAMAX and two can fit on one side of the quay?

Nevermind.

I looked a little deeper on the Grand Turk cruise Center website. If you click on the ship name it gives the details on the ship and where it will be.

On 1/5 the Oceania Riviera notes Berth: Tender - Vessel will drift

same for the Crystal Serenity on the 7th that is there the same time as the Westerdam.

So on the 5th the Niew Amsterdam and the Carnival Conquest will be docked and the Riviera will be free floating off shore. On the 7th the Westerdam and the Carnival Valor will be docked and the Serenity drifting around off shore. I suppose the tenders will dock at the shore excursion pier but you will have to let us know for sure after your visit.

In any case if you are there on either of these days or on the 22nd when there are also 3 ships, I would get a place to park yourself early!

Edited by K&RCurt

• 1 month later...

We were at Grand Turk on Emerald Princess February 4, 2016. There was also a large Carnival ship that arrived before we did.

It WALL to WALL people. People couldn't find beach chairs. Margaritaville was mobbed!

People who walked to Jack's Shack said it was equally as bad there if not worse.

Some port stops can accommodate large numbers of people. Grand Turk is NOT one of them.

I can't begin to imagine what it would be like there with 3 ships! :eek:

LuLu

How can you tell how many ships will be in port with you?

Thanks

None are totally accurate but some such sites are:

http://www..cruisett.com

http://www.whatsinport.com/index.htm

http://www.cruisetimetables.com

http://www.cruisereport.com/portsofcallList.aspx

http://portfocus.com

Hello! We're leaving on our first HAL cruise in 4 weeks and I just noticed that our Grand Turk day has 3 ships in port. The 3rd arrives 3 hours before we leave, and we're the first of the day. So claiming chairs should be too much of an issue.

I'm really just curious if anyone else has been there with 3 ships at once? I assume 1 tenders, but where to? When we were there last year it doesn't look like it's really set up for that.

OP, if you are reading......

How did it go with the three ships?

Grand Turk can barely handle two cruise ships at once.

We were just there on the Sunshine on a slightly windy day. The Sunshine passengers seemed to occupy every inch of Grand Turk but the Splendor was still out at sea making multiple attempts to come in to dock. We couldn't imagine where the passengers would go once they did get off the ship.

The Splendor arrived a few hours after we set up on the beach and after they did manage to dock we packed up and left the beach to find chairs around the Margaritaville pool. The place became a madhouse once the Splendor passengers got off the ship but they did kick the party atmosphere up a few notches around the pool.

• 1 month later...

As it turned out, on our January O cruise, we shared a private taxi with some Carnivsl passengers for a two hour island tour. Despite the other ships, we avoided traffic and crowds, and the driver had excellent historical knowledge. It was very enjoyable. I can't remember the price, but it was reasonable.

Harry