Do you know any whale tours in Alaska ?

seadancer

We are going in June 2017 but want to start planning tours we really want to do. We know Celebrity has tours available but I was wondering if anyone had used another company (and been really happy with them) for whale watching tours in Icy Straight Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, etc.

We are also interested in the Longest Zipline, helicopter tours, and sea planes.

Any other ideas or amazing tours that you know of, please advise. This is our first trip to Alaska. Thanks!

Most take whale tours from Juneau. Consider combo tours with Mendenhall to save time as both attractions operate West of Juneau. If Mendenhall is the last stop.... some will quit the tour there to spend more time on Mendenhall trails and catch one of the busy last shuttles back to port.

We are also interested in the Longest Zipline, helicopter tours, and sea planes.

Any other ideas or amazing tours that you know of, please advise. This is our first trip to Alaska. Thanks!

Zipline? Just a 2hrs outside of Vancouver is the new Sasquatch line. It launches you from one mountain top to another.

[YOUTUBE]N3opExGBunI[/YOUTUBE]

If your Celebrity cruise departs/ends in Vancouver. Plan for extra days in this bonus port as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

Edited by xlxo

Zipline? Just a 2hrs outside of Vancouver is the new Sasquatch line. It launches you from one mountain top to another.

N3opExGBunI

If your Celebrity cruise departs/ends in Vancouver. Plan for extra days in this bonus port as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

Even closer to Vancouver is Grouse Mountain with lots to do including zip lining. In the summer (not sure about winter) they have a shuttle from Canada Place in Vancouver. https://www.grousemountain.com/#activities-guide

There are MANY trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page, They will provide you with first-hand recommendations for activities and vendors at each port. Some are photo journals which will provide you with a good idea of what you will see.

The first line of the report usually provides the date, itinerary, ship and who travelled.

We are going in June 2017 but want to start planning tours we really want to do. We know Celebrity has tours available but I was wondering if anyone had used another company (and been really happy with them) for whale watching tours in Icy Straight Point, Juneau, Ketchikan, etc.

for whale watching with 100% sighting of humpbacks- I highly recommend Orca Enterprises out of Juneau and Teckk Outfitters out of Hoonah. Hoonah also has a long zip line. I've been on multiple helicopter trips, longer is "better" seeing more and especially the double landings. :)

For floatplanes I highly recommend Southeast Aviation out of Ketchikan, have also gone out with them multiple times for Misty Fiords and bear viewing.

There are HUNDREDS of "amazing" tours in Alaska. I do caution you to read through ALL the options, via Alaska visitor guides, and shore excursion lists. There are always claims, of some "must" tours, that are NOT a good fit for everyone. Even in my 50+ ++ trips, I touched a fraction of what's available.

• 1 month later...

Harv & Marv's in Juneau: I have done whale watching twice with them. Highly recommend.

My adult children have done the zipline in Icy Strait Point. (not sure if this is on your itinerary?) They LOVED it.

The Taku Lodge Excursion out of Juneau is very nice. You can book this independently also. Just a two minute walk from the ship to connect with the tour. And we have done Taku Lodge and the whale watching on the same day.

• 2 weeks later...
Harv & Marv's in Juneau: I have done whale watching twice with them. Highly recommend.

My adult children have done the zipline in Icy Strait Point. (not sure if this is on your itinerary?) They LOVED it.

The Taku Lodge Excursion out of Juneau is very nice. You can book this independently also. Just a two minute walk from the ship to connect with the tour. And we have done Taku Lodge and the whale watching on the same day.

I heard about the zipline in Icy Strait Point that runs 60 mph and over 5,000 feet long. According to cruise tourists, it is world's 4th longest zipline. By looking at this video below, it makes me want to try it! someday!

What do you have to eat at the Yalu lodge? Tour description from Celebrity says only salmon.

Edited by seadancer

What do you have to eat at the Yalu lodge? Tour description from Celebrity says only salmon.

The "meat" was only salmon.

And it was amazing, BTW.

There was an entire plate full of food.

And delicious homemade ginger cookies.

So, if you absolutely do not eat salmon - you won't go hungry.

We have used the following whale watching companies multiple times and have been very happy with our experiences:

Juneau --- Harv & Marv

Icy Strait --- F.I.S.H.E.S and Glacier Wind

In Icy Straight, which would you recommend? Glacier wind or F.I.S.H.E.S.?

In Icy Straight, which would you recommend? Glacier wind or F.I.S.H.E.S.?

We have had equally enjoyable tours with both companies. We do back-to-back cruises to Alaska often and go with Glacier Wind one week and F.I.S.H.E.S. the other. I really can't recommend one vendor over the other as they are both that good in our minds. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.