Did $$ charge for Margaritaville?...

kimala

If NCL had waited longer than a couple weeks to make their knee-jerk decision, it sounds like Margaritaville's reputation would have caught up and handled the overcrowding situation all on its own.

We probably all agree that "mediocre new food" that's complimentary tastes a whole lot better than "mediocre new food" that's surcharged. The longer it takes NCL to fix their mistake, the stronger the reputation will become that "it's just not worth it".

Seems like such a simple thing to get right.

The worst part of MV. Is the food tasted nothing like the land based locations. The burgers in the buffet tasted the same. We also had the volcano nachos. We sent it back because the chips were stale as if they were laying out in the moist sea air[emoji13]

The land based M'Villes are not that great either. The one in Phoenix went out of business because who wants to pay $15 for a crappy taco when you can get authentic food on any street corner? You were just paying for the name and atmosphere.

As previously stated M'Ville at Sea has no atmosphere. Would it kill them to play some Buffet music and show his videos? I don't think I would even pay $5 a person going forward. I guess it's 5 O'Clock somewhere else for us.

Exactly. Cruise lines (not just NCL) are fanatical with brand partnerships these days. You name the cruise line and they have multiple partnerships will well known brands. Sometimes the partnerships make sense and are executed well, and other times you just scratch your head. In the latter cases it seems like the brand name was the only thing considered to the cruise line execs. Looks good but not much substance. That is the case with Margaritaville IMO. I recently had lunch at the new Margaritaville Resort on Hollywood beach. Very nice resort and the restaurant was decent too, but again nothing to write home about. The burger and ambiance were far better than onboard ESCAPE, but even so I wouldn't go back. It just wasn't that memorable.

I have to wonder how long Margaritaville will last on ESCAPE before it's replaced with something else. Probably a 2-year contract at minimum I'm guessing.

I mentioned this in one of the original deleted threads on this topic, but I used to live in Orlando, so I'm well-schooled in the fact that you don't go to 'theme' or celeb restaurants for the food. But it also doesn't sound like the shipboard location has much theme to speak of. So yes, this whole thing is CRAY, and if it results in a cover charge for FG on Getaway, that'll be the nail in the coffin of my short relationship with NCL.

Regarding other chain alliances with cruiseships, I've never been on RCL, but the idea of Johnny Rockets, which I think of as mall food (again, having lived in Orlando), was one of the things that has given me a certain aversion to the Oasis class ships.

I think the only one that wouldn't bother me or give me the sense of "I might as well be in the mall at home" is Starbucks, and that's because I have a well-honed caffeine addiction. :) Even still, I'd rather a non-corporate-branded shipboard cafe with good coffee/tea.

If NCL had waited longer than a couple weeks to make their knee-jerk decision, it sounds like Margaritaville's reputation would have caught up and handled the overcrowding situation all on its own.

We probably all agree that "mediocre new food" that's complimentary tastes a whole lot better than "mediocre new food" that's surcharged. The longer it takes NCL to fix their mistake, the stronger the reputation will become that "it's just not worth it".

Seems like such a simple thing to get right.

I would say most companies would have a clear goal date in mind before re-evaluating or retooling. But this is NCL. There will probably be 5 rapid fire changes in hopes that something...anything...sticks. Even if the pricing structure was reduced to a flat fee, I could definitely see them applying that same charge to other ships as well. With space at such a premium on this ship, I wouldn't imagine they can afford to have any areas at all go underutilized.

This. Basically no aspect of this situation has made any sense to me.

Next up: Chili's at Sea. Pay $20 for some truly mediocre fajitas.

Oh don't give them any ideas. The powers to be behind "Chili's Too!" would be all over it. Serving mediocre food and overpriced beers with horrendous service in airports all throughout the country...now on cruise ships too! Luckily they wouldn't have the hungry people with corporate expense accounts to pick up the tab in this case :eek:

Come on, NCL... give this venue a reasonable cover charge and end these shenanigans.

I agree. The ala carte prices are just silly. This was not thought out well from the beginning. I think NCL underestimated the popularity associated with Jimmy Buffet and the loyal Parrot Heads wanting to dine on the ship. That being said, I'm hoping NCL will make another change if the venue remains empty. Since NCL is trying to maximize profit, they won't let this place remain empty for long. If they do make a change, I would guess it would come after the first of the year to avoid another knee jerk reaction.

The Uptown Grill on Breakaway was a my favorite lunch spot until they turned it into a made to order burger shop/chopped salad bar. But while they had long waits there in October and didn't offer anything other then those 2 options at least they didn't charge. Can see that move as a precursor to switching MV type surcharge area.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got off...not only did it eliminate the wait, it eliminated the customers. It was DEAD all week. If you are going to pay for food go to food republic where you at least get good food.

6&8

I hope it stays dead... Very cheap of NCL to take away an included dining option advertised as included for almost a full year... then start charging shortly after the 1st sailing. Some people say... "It's just a burger....". True but the space occupied by Margaritaville is prime open deck space. Shame to waste it.

Just got off...not only did it eliminate the wait, it eliminated the customers. It was DEAD all week. If you are going to pay for food go to food republic where you at least get good food.

6&8

Agree 100%. Although we enjoyed Margaritaville 5 times (complimentary) Food Republic is the better option.

I didn't get the appeal. Not much atmosphere (nothing like a Margaritaville on land), no Jimmy Buffet music, and pretty typical food for a chain restaurant (burgers, fries, etc). Nothing special IMO. While I had good service, the food left a lot to be desired IMO. I much preferred Flamingo Bar & Grill on GETAWAY. Better and more interesting food … plus it's free!

If you're going to spend money, go for Food Republic! Now there is a venue with fantastic food and atmosphere. I would have been willing to pay everyday for it.

I loved the Flamingo and will miss it on my the Escape. Margaritaville does nothing for me on land.