Pacific Aria - not enought cutlery?? - video review

Interesting and apparently reasonable sounding first review of Aria posted on youtube by a journalist Media Triage.

He had a talk with M.D about the empty tables in the restaurants, and was told that because of strict health standards it takes about 10 min per person to wash all the cutlery & crockery - and that is why they cannot turn the tables quickly.

See the interesting part starting about 10 min 30 sec here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc45uynm1ro

Does this make any sense to you, experienced cruisers??

Also the same guy's ship review with special comments on food here:

And his short video about Waterfront Rest (not much new ) here:

First off, the guy claims to be a journalist yet doesn't realise he doesn't have the right to film people on private property whenever/wherever he wants?! Similarly with the unauthorised recording of conversations. No credibility there.

Further on the journalist claim, he doesn't know how to spell Maitre D' ?

This isn't a comment about spelling of itself. However, if you want to present yourself as a professional, and do a good job, then part of that is actually doing a good job and not making simple mistakes.

He's just a guy with a camera and not a lot of knowledge.

As for the comment on the washing, that was only presented as part of the response on why a table reserved at 7p.m. can't be used twice. This statement of 7 p.m. being used once is itself fine, which is what the commenter had an issue with. You can't force people - especially on a special occasion hence the speciality restaurant - to leave, and telling them at say 1.5 hours they have to leave (so you can clear, reset and prepare the table for a 9 p.m. reservation) isn't acceptable. I don't know why he was surprised by that!

I don't think the 10 minutes per person interpretation was correct, and even he said that was his interpretation, not that of the maître d' that the whole table takes 60 minutes for cleaning. It sounds more like a general explanation of the processes they follow. It may take 10 minutes per person, but that doesn't mean that only one person is done at a time, which is that commenter's interpretation.

In summary, his methods and approach were inappropriate, and his research on the topic was poor.

On the subject of 'not enough cutlery', when we were on the Celebrity Century we had to keep our cutlery from the first course (fruit) at breakfast and use it for the main course. I kept forgetting and after I had my fruit, I put my cutlery on the empty plate as usual. Sometimes the steward noticed this and put the knife and fork down on the table for me to re-use, and on other occasions, the main course was served and I had no cutlery. When I asked (nicely), there was a "not happy" reaction from the steward. After two weeks of this (yes - I was a slow learner), one morning I commented that the only place in the world that we had to re-use our cutlery was a hotel in Libya. :D

On the subject of 'not enough cutlery', when we were on the Celebrity Century we had to keep our cutlery from the first course (fruit) at breakfast and use it for the main course. I kept forgetting and after I had my fruit, I put my cutlery on the empty plate as usual. Sometimes the steward noticed this and put the knife and fork down on the table for me to re-use, and on other occasions, the main course was served and I had no cutlery. When I asked (nicely), there was a "not happy" reaction from the steward. After two weeks of this (yes - I was a slow learner), one morning I commented that the only place in the world that we had to re-use our cutlery was a hotel in Libya. :D

Didn't have that problem when we were in Century last December.

Didn't have that problem when we were in Century last December.

That's interesting. We were stunned that in a restaurant on a ship that is marketed as reasonably up-market we were expected to re-use the cutlery. Maybe it was that it was breakfast and they didn't expect us to use a knife and fork to eat the fruit??? Anyway, we survived and had a good cruise. :)

What a dolt ! All that talk about cutlery yet he cant actually pronounce the word !

I am inclined to think he has never actually know anyone who owned a land or sea based restaurant. Empty tables for late diners are common place when a venue says "full" earlier in the evening. Buzzers are more and more common place across 5 star restaurants in Aus.

That's interesting. We were stunned that in a restaurant on a ship that is marketed as reasonably up-market we were expected to re-use the cutlery. Maybe it was that it was breakfast and they didn't expect us to use a knife and fork to eat the fruit??? Anyway, we survived and had a good cruise. :)

I didn't have that problem on Century either - but didn't have breakfast in the MDR either.

Buzzers are more and more common place across 5 star restaurants in Aus.

And sea-based. We were given a buzzer on Golden Princess as well.

That was minor in the scheme of things wrong with that video - he can have his opinion about liking/not liking buzzers which is fine. But to make a big deal about tables ignoring the practicalities of the situation, and disrespect the staff/organisation while trying to big note that he's a "journalist" when not was just a complete turn off.

And sea-based. We were given a buzzer on Golden Princess as well.

That was minor in the scheme of things wrong with that video - he can have his opinion about liking/not liking buzzers which is fine. But to make a big deal about tables ignoring the practicalities of the situation, and disrespect the staff/organisation while trying to big note that he's a "journalist" when not was just a complete turn off.

Yup he promoted himself to them as a "journalist" when in fact he is a sub standard barely known online blogger. That is unprofessional and disrespectful to anyone in the actual profession. And deliberately videoing them without their permission - the staff and the company would have recourse over that.

" You can't force people - especially on a special occasion hence the speciality restaurant - to leave, and telling them at say 1.5 hours they have to leave (so you can clear, reset and prepare the table for a 9 p.m. reservation) isn't acceptable. "

Actually, yes you can. Many fine dining restaurants have two seatings each night and people taking the first seating are aware they do have a time limit on their meal. I eat out often and wouldn't dream of booking a table for 6pm and assuming I could stay in that table for the entire evening unless the place clearly had many empty tables and I was continuing to spend money.

" You can't force people - especially on a special occasion hence the speciality restaurant - to leave, and telling them at say 1.5 hours they have to leave (so you can clear, reset and prepare the table for a 9 p.m. reservation) isn't acceptable. "

Actually, yes you can. Many fine dining restaurants have two seatings each night and people taking the first seating are aware they do have a time limit on their meal. I eat out often and wouldn't dream of booking a table for 6pm and assuming I could stay in that table for the entire evening unless the place clearly had many empty tables and I was continuing to spend money.

And the apparently valid point made by the video blogger (a self-styled 'journalist') was nevertheless that there was a lot of frustration by passengers - because there were quite a few empty tables in the MAIN restaurant (Waterfront) - and not specialty restaurants.

Yup agree - thats standard practice in all restaurants. I often book for pre theatre meals at 6pm with the proviso that we will be finished by 7.30 for their main reservations period.

We're talking about the restaurants onboard, not "fine dining" ashore.

I'm well aware there are different requirements elsewhere. Onboard though, they will not send you packing after 1.5 hours, and do not state that as a requirement.

We're talking about the restaurants onboard, not "fine dining" ashore.

I'm well aware there are different requirements elsewhere. Onboard though, they will not send you packing after 1.5 hours, and do not state that as a requirement.

On shore and on board its no difference reservations wise. On Radiance we made a 6pm dinner res in Giovannis and was advised yes we could be out in time for the thetare performance so they could prepare for the next sitting.

On shore and on board its no difference reservations wise. On Radiance we made a 6pm dinner res in Giovannis and was advised yes we could be out in time for the thetare performance so they could prepare for the next sitting.

I've been in Giovannis for 2.5 hours (thanks to their poor service) and was not rushed out. Nor have I seen anyone else rushed out, or given time frames on board.

Maybe they were squeezing you in when bookings had already been made (so it was either that or not have it at all at that time), but it's not a standard requirement.

I've been in Giovannis for 2.5 hours (thanks to their poor service) and was not rushed out. Nor have I seen anyone else rushed out, or given time frames on board.

Maybe they were squeezing you in when bookings had already been made (so it was either that or not have it at all at that time), but it's not a standard requirement.

Which again is no different to land or sea restaurants which is the point I was making.

I watched the vid, that's 14 minutes of my life I'll never get back, lol. What a beat up, this is a new ship to the line and a short break cruise at that, I think it makes sense to limit the pay restaurant bookings to an amount they can comfortably handle.

New staff who may not have worked together before dealing with teething problems etc.

The guy says that he was probably the only passenger to get to interview the Matre' D,..... of course he was. Everyone else was up and about by the pool, doing activities, having cocktails with friends etc and generally enjoying their limited time on board. Not sitting in their cabin waiting for the phone to ring or running around with a Gopro pretending to be a hard hitting journalist, overtly & covertly filming people doing their job.

The guy says that he was probably the only passenger to get to interview the Matre' D,..... of course he was. Everyone else was up and about by the pool, doing activities, having cocktails with friends etc and generally enjoying their limited time on board. Not sitting in their cabin waiting for the phone to ring or running around with a Gopro pretending to be a hard hitting journalist, overtly & covertly filming people doing their job.

LOL exactly!!!