Southern (Fascination) vs Western (Glory)

bakersdozen12

I'm hoping to get some feedback on these itineraries and ships so that I can make a decision about my 40th birthday cruise!

I am currently booked on the following 7-day cruise on the Glory (11/5/16):

Day 1: Depart Miami, 4 pm

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Grand Cayman, 7:30 am to 3 pm (been here)

Day 4: Roatan, 10 am to 6 pm (NEW port)

Day 5: Belize, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 6: Cozumel, 8 am to 5 pm (been here)

Day 7: Sea Day

Day 8: Arrive back in Miami

Some more details about the Glory cruise: I currently have an aft wrap booked, and will be spending my 40th birthday in Belize. Originally when I booked the cruise, we were scheduled to be in Roatan on my birthday, and this was the selling point for the cruise. I have a cabana booked for Roatan, and was looking forward to turning 40 that day while relaxing on the beach and enjoying the cabana, but we will now be there the day before my birthday. I really enjoyed both Grand Cayman and Cozumel when we were there in Oct, and don't mind going back to each.

I am thinking about changing to this 7-day cruise on the Fascination (11/6/16):

Day 1: Depart San Juan, 10 pm

Day 2: St Thomas, 7 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 3: Sea Day

Day 4: Barbados, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 5: St Lucia, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 6: St Kitts, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 7: St Maartan, 7 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 8: Arrive back in San Juan

A little information on this cruise: the reason that I am thinking about switching to this cruise is that the group I sailed with this past October will be going on this one. Originally they were supposed to go on a different cruise in the beginning of Oct 2016, which I couldn't do since I was already booked for the first week in Nov (for my birthday), but now since they are switching the new dates work for me. It would be really nice to see them again. Would end up spending my 40th birthday in Barbados.

Some thoughts: I was really, really looking for the aft wrap on the Glory! This is going really, really hard to give up. If we switch to the Fascination, we will probably book an aft extended balcony, and I know little about these. I am having trouble finding information on them on the web.

I've only been on the Dream so far, and I loved it! I'll be going on the Conquest next July, and the Fascination will be a step down even further. I'm not sure how I will feel about being on a older, smaller ship.

Dive-in movies: the Fascination doesn't have Dive-in movies. As silly as it may sound to some, that was one of our favorite things to do on the Dream: lay out under the stars, watching a movie. Having a nice, late-night swim while waiting for the movie to start. I will really, really miss this.

Sea days: The Southern itinerary only has one sea day, and I love sea days. While I love visiting ports (seeing new places is why I have gotten hooked on cruising), sea days are my chance to relax and unwind. My last cruise had 3, and I loved them.

Price: since I'm currently booked Early Saver, switching to the Fascination will mean paying $100 for the switch. The room on the Fascination will be $300 less. So a net savings of $200.

FTTF: I have this booked for the Glory. Not sure if it's still available for the Fascination. Not the biggest loss in the world, but still something to consider (for me anyway).

Sorry for such a long post, but I am really looking forward for some helpful feedback. I don't know too much about the Southern itinerary ports, but I know they are popular. If I were going by itinerary alone, I would switch to this one. But, I am looking forward to the aft wrap on the Glory, with two nice sea days to enjoy it. So it boils down to itinerary vs aft wrap.

Thanks in advance!

That's such a tough choice!! I would vote the Fascination, simply because I like the ports so much more on that itinerary and I enjoy sailing out of San Juan. We tend to cruise mostly for the ports and a little bit based on the ship. I don't know where you live, but from Iowa (my fabulous home state), airfare to San Juan can be a bit pricey. For us, it's worth it because we love those itineraries and islands so much more, but just food for thought.

Fascination is definitely a smaller ship. I guess it's whether you want to see new (and in my opinion fabulous) ports, or repeat a couple ports and see a couple new ones on a bigger ship with more amenities. I vote that you go swim with sea turtles on your birthday (Barbados) and take the Fascination. If you need a couple days of just down time, stay in Puerto Rico for a couple days when you get back. That's what we did as I love sea days for the beauty of doing nothing at all and our most recent cruise had none, just 5 back to back ports from San Juan.

I forgot to mention, too, that I want at least one relaxing beach day, so since we won't have our Roatan cabana if we switch, which of the ports on the Southern itinerary has the best beach, and what would it be?

ETA: thanks sachmo! I appreciate the feedback! I think I will check out the sea turtle swim you mentioned, that sounds like fun. And, while San Juan will be more costly to fly to from Boston, I do think it's another plus because I would rather spend a couple extra days there than in Miami. Another thing to think about.

Edited by bakersdozen12

I'd pick the Sensation cruise. Also is there a big price difference in airfare?

Also why mention its your birthday 7 times in one post? We got it, it's your birthday cruise. You mentioned it more than a girl turning 10.

I'd pick the Sensation cruise. Also is there a big price difference in airfare?

Also why mention its your birthday 7 times in one post? We got it, it's your birthday cruise. You mentioned it more than a girl turning 10.

Wow, seriously?! Why do you need to be as rude as a 10 year old child? I mentioned it more than once because I was pointing out the ports that we would be at on my actual birthday. That's something to consider. Whether I want to be in Belize or Barbados that day. I haven't been to either port, and I was hoping someone could weigh in as to which port is nicer.

And PS: the Sensation doesn't even factor into this discussion. If you are going to belittle me, at least get the ship name right!

Honestly. SMH.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Hi Bakersdozen12,

For me, I would choose the Fascination for the itinerary. I normally book for the itinerary and not the ship. Personally I rather have more days in port than sea days. But, based on your original question and what it sounds like you enjoy, you might be better off staying with what you have already booked. Sounds like you might be second guessing yourself. Always stick to your first choice. You booked it for a reason. We sailed the Glory Western back in Feb. and really enjoyed it.

As far as a beach day, you can go to Little French Key in Roatan. If you do decide to go Southern, go to The Boatyard in Barbados.

Once you do the Southern Itinerary and experience what the Caribbean is truly about, you'll never see the fake, cruise line made ports like Roatan and Cozumel the same way. The Southern itinerary is ALL about the ports of call and truly getting to know the region.

It really boils down to what is more important to you. Personally, if you're concerned about the Fascination out of San Juan, you can always plan on making that your next cruise after the Glory and select a different ship on a different cruise line. Royal, Celebrity, NCL and even Disney offer itineraries out of San Juan, all on much nicer ships.

Edited by Tapi

To me it's a no brainer. Glory is hands down winner. You have FTTF to handle tendering in Belize and Caymans. That itinerary is great plus the ship has all the 2.0 features. We don't cruise on a ship unless they have those features.

Plus I would never give up an aft wrap and pay more!

Edited by wantocruisemore

I'm hoping to get some feedback on these itineraries and ships so that I can make a decision about my 40th birthday cruise!

I am currently booked on the following 7-day cruise on the Glory (11/5/16):

Day 1: Depart Miami, 4 pm

Day 2: Sea Day

Day 3: Grand Cayman, 7:30 am to 3 pm (been here)

Day 4: Roatan, 10 am to 6 pm (NEW port)

Day 5: Belize, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 6: Cozumel, 8 am to 5 pm (been here)

Day 7: Sea Day

Day 8: Arrive back in Miami

Some more details about the Glory cruise: I currently have an aft wrap booked, and will be spending my 40th birthday in Belize. Originally when I booked the cruise, we were scheduled to be in Roatan on my birthday, and this was the selling point for the cruise. I have a cabana booked for Roatan, and was looking forward to turning 40 that day while relaxing on the beach and enjoying the cabana, but we will now be there the day before my birthday. I really enjoyed both Grand Cayman and Cozumel when we were there in Oct, and don't mind going back to each.

I am thinking about changing to this 7-day cruise on the Fascination (11/6/16):

Day 1: Depart San Juan, 10 pm

Day 2: St Thomas, 7 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 3: Sea Day

Day 4: Barbados, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 5: St Lucia, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 6: St Kitts, 8 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 7: St Maartan, 7 am to 5 pm (NEW port)

Day 8: Arrive back in San Juan

A little information on this cruise: the reason that I am thinking about switching to this cruise is that the group I sailed with this past October will be going on this one. Originally they were supposed to go on a different cruise in the beginning of Oct 2016, which I couldn't do since I was already booked for the first week in Nov (for my birthday), but now since they are switching the new dates work for me. It would be really nice to see them again. Would end up spending my 40th birthday in Barbados.

Some thoughts: I was really, really looking for the aft wrap on the Glory! This is going really, really hard to give up. If we switch to the Fascination, we will probably book an aft extended balcony, and I know little about these. I am having trouble finding information on them on the web.

I've only been on the Dream so far, and I loved it! I'll be going on the Conquest next July, and the Fascination will be a step down even further. I'm not sure how I will feel about being on a older, smaller ship.

Dive-in movies: the Fascination doesn't have Dive-in movies. As silly as it may sound to some, that was one of our favorite things to do on the Dream: lay out under the stars, watching a movie. Having a nice, late-night swim while waiting for the movie to start. I will really, really miss this.

Sea days: The Southern itinerary only has one sea day, and I love sea days. While I love visiting ports (seeing new places is why I have gotten hooked on cruising), sea days are my chance to relax and unwind. My last cruise had 3, and I loved them.

Price: since I'm currently booked Early Saver, switching to the Fascination will mean paying $100 for the switch. The room on the Fascination will be $300 less. So a net savings of $200.

FTTF: I have this booked for the Glory. Not sure if it's still available for the Fascination. Not the biggest loss in the world, but still something to consider (for me anyway).

Sorry for such a long post, but I am really looking forward for some helpful feedback. I don't know too much about the Southern itinerary ports, but I know they are popular. If I were going by itinerary alone, I would switch to this one. But, I am looking forward to the aft wrap on the Glory, with two nice sea days to enjoy it. So it boils down to itinerary vs aft wrap.

Thanks in advance!

This is such a tough choice. I have the same cruise booked for January on the Glory and I have to say I'm pretty darn excited about it. It's also a birthday cruise for my husband so I know how much it means to have something fun booked for the day.

The ports listed in your second option sound amazing. I've been to St. Thomas and St. Maarten but not the other 3 and I would really love to.

It does sound like you would rather go on the Glory since you already have FTTF, the extra day at sea that is important to you, the cabin you want and the ship has the upgrades you are looking for. I agree with what another person posted about sticking with your first choice and looking for another ship (possibly on another line) that goes to the southern caribbean for your next cruise.

No matter what you choose, you will have a great time!

Well, I've made a decision and I've decided to switch to the Southern itinerary. I was researching the ports and they just seem too amazing to pass up. Since I had my heart set on spending my 40th lying on a nice beach, I think my options will be better in Barbados than in Belize. Ports are never guaranteed, so this could all change and we could end up someplace else or miss the port altogether, but I can only go with what I know now. Plus, it will be really nice to sail with the same group again.

Since I was disappointed about losing the aft wrap, I came up with a solution: I'm switching my interior on the Conquest in July to an aft wrap, and will just book an interior w/ portholes on the Fascination. (If I want to do two cruises a year, one has to be an interior!)

Anyway, I'm happy the outcome. Now I will just have to try to get FTTF for the new cruise! Not a big deal if I can't, of course. I just like to have my room ready when I board.

Edited by bakersdozen12

Well, I've made a decision and I've decided to switch to the Southern itinerary. I was researching the ports and they just seem too amazing to pass up. Since I had my heart set on spending my 40th lying on a nice beach, I think my options will be better in Barbados than in Belize. Ports are never guaranteed, so this could all change and we could end up someplace else or miss the port altogether, but I can only go with what I know now. Plus, it will be really nice to sail with the same group again.

Since I was disappointed about losing the aft wrap, I came up with a solution: I'm switching my interior on the Conquest in July to an aft wrap, and will just book an interior w/ portholes on the Fascination. (If I want to do two cruises a year, one has to be an interior!)

Anyway, I'm happy the outcome. Now I will just have to try to get FTTF for the new cruise! Not a big deal if I can't, of course. I just like to have my room ready when I board.

Sometimes it just helps to talk it out!:) Glad you have decided and I don't think you can go wrong with those ports of call. As Tapi said, its all about the ports.

Just a little heads up - don't have the same expectations for the Fascination as for the Glory - she's older, smaller and doesn't have even the Bells and Whistles Glory does. That said, I like the smaller ships - they have a more intimate feel about them, and it's easier to get from point A to point B. And I have never been a fan of the multi-layered Lido deck on the Glory and her sisters, and the difficulty created by kitchen placement in traversing Decks 3 and 4.

We've been on the southern itinerary out of San Juan, twice, recently. First on Valor two years ago and just this past September on Liberty. It is, by far, our favorite itinerary and also very scenic. With this itinerary, it's the itinerary that is the "star" of the cruise and not the ship. All of the islands have nice beaches, but St. Kitts' beaches are a little different but we loved them because they were different. But if you want a nice, relaxing beach day, one of the other islands may be your best bet. I do recommend some kind of tour for St. Lucia, whether through Carnival or a local, private tour company, since most of the sights are a good hour and a half from port and just "winging" it by cab would be very expensive. You can "wing" it at most of the other islands. Before both of our cruises, I spent time on the "Port of Call" section here on CC to get ideas, which were very helpful in planning.

In the end, I'm definitely picking the itinerary over the ship. I'm a new cruiser, so I have many places I want to see. Once I've "been there, done that" I think I'll be pickier about the ship.

But, I'm definitely going to go in it with a "the ship doesn't really matter" type of attitude so that I won't be disappointed. I'm not one for huge crowds anyway, so a smaller ship may suit me. Who knows. At least it will be an experience. [emoji4]

Edited by bakersdozen12

In the end, I'm definitely picking the itinerary over the ship. I'm a new cruiser, so I have many places I want to see. Once I've "been there, done that" I think I'll be pickier about the ship.

But, I'm definitely going to go in it with a "the ship doesn't really matter" type of attitude so that I won't be disappointed. I'm not one for huge crowds anyway, so a smaller ship may suit me. Who knows. At least it will be an experience. [emoji4]

If this will help make you feel any better, our first cruise was on a similar itinerary out of San Juan, but instead of going to St. Kitts and St. Lucia, we went to Dominica and Martinique, which are similar. The ship we were on was a Carnival ship that no longer exists, Carnival Festivale. Carnival Fascination is HUGE in comparison. :) We really enjoyed that cruise and that cruise is the one that got us hooked. The others who say it will be a more intimate feel with smaller crowds are correct. I know you hated to give up the cabin you had on Glory, but on our recent cruise out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean, we had a balcony but were hardly ever in it. I hope you have a wonderful time.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

If the ship is why you cruise, than chose the Glory. If you cruise for the ports (like I do), go with the Southern on Fascination! My wife and I took this cruise when the Valor was doing it a couple of years ago and it was AMAZING! Everyone of these islands is unique, and very very enjoyable, and trust me Barbados is a great place to spend your birthday. (I proposed to my (now) wife on the beach in Barbados when we were there on this cruise.)

We actually only booked one excursion on this cruise (St. Lucia), in every other port we just went to a beach and enjoyed the day, so there are LOTS and LOTS of excellent choices for the best beaches on this cruise. I would rate the beach from best to worst as follows:

1. Barbados (clearest water I have ever seen!)

1A. St. Kitts (great, but very very different from Barbados, much hillier island which was the perfect background to the beach. This was the stop we were the least excited about before the trip and even considered just staying on the ship instead, but were so surprised by how wonderful this island was and very glad we did not stay on the ship!)

3. St. Maarten (Maho Beach is worth a quick visit to see the planes, but I wouldn't plan a whole beach day there. Venture over to the French side beaches instead, tops optional!)

4. St. Thomas (Meaghan's Bay is a GREAT beach for small children because the water is completely calm. Its a VERY pretty beach in its own right, but near the bottom of the list for this cruise because of all the competition.)

5. St. Lucia (This is the only one where I would not recommend just planning a beach day. Take a trip to the Pitons instead and if you want there is a small beach in between them to enjoy though the beach itself is nothing to write home about.)

Edited by jwalk03

The Fantasy classes ships most def do not have all the bells & whistles of the newer ships, BUT they do have one feature that sticks out to me as being so much BETTER than the new ships! The AFT Serenity... SOOOOO much nicer than the ones on the Conquest class ships that are all the way FWD! Also its kind of tricky to find for those not familiar with the ship, so I thought it was always way less crowded than on the Conquest class.

If the ship is why you cruise, than chose the Glory. If you cruise for the ports (like I do), go with the Southern on Fascination! My wife and I took this cruise when the Valor was doing it a couple of years ago and it was AMAZING! Everyone of these islands is unique, and very very enjoyable, and trust me Barbados is a great place to spend your birthday. (I proposed to my (now) wife on the beach in Barbados when we were there on this cruise.)

We actually only booked one excursion on this cruise (St. Lucia), in every other port we just went to a beach and enjoyed the day, so there are LOTS and LOTS of excellent choices for the best beaches on this cruise. I would rate the beach from best to worst as follows:

1. Barbados (clearest water I have ever seen!)

1A. St. Kitts (great, but very very different from Barbados, much hillier island which was the perfect background to the beach. This was the stop we were the least excited about before the trip and even considered just staying on the ship instead, but were so surprised by how wonderful this island was and very glad we did not stay on the ship!)

3. St. Maarten (Maho Beach is worth a quick visit to see the planes, but I wouldn't plan a whole beach day there. Venture over to the French side beaches instead, tops optional!)

4. St. Thomas (Meaghan's Bay is a GREAT beach for small children because the water is completely calm. Its a VERY pretty beach in its own right, but near the bottom of the list for this cruise because of all the competition.)

5. St. Lucia (This is the only one where I would not recommend just planning a beach day. Take a trip to the Pitons instead and if you want there is a small beach in between them to enjoy though the beach itself is nothing to write home about.)

Thanks very much for this, I appreciate it! This is very helpful information. In fact, I think I'm going to copy this info into the notes I always keep for my upcoming cruises. These ports seem to be exactly what I want for this cruise: ones where we don't necessarily have to have an excursion booked. I'm looking for a more relaxed cruise instead of one with an excursion in every single port which sometimes makes you feel like you are punching a time clock. Again, thanks!

We have done all these ports and I would take the southern itinerary any day. The ports are better and the beaches are much better. St Thomas and St Maarten have some of the best beaches. My DW will not miss the beaches on either of these islands. As a extra treat these islands also have much better shopping.

If the ship is why you cruise, than chose the Glory. If you cruise for the ports (like I do), go with the Southern on Fascination! )

jwalk , you've summed it up well. We did a Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean cruise and loved every part of it .

As you put it bakersdozen , the ports are amazing . Just one thing , please don't over-hype your 40th birthday experience . Expectations can be built up too high . Have fun .:)

Just one thing , please don't over-hype your 40th birthday experience . Expectations can be built up too high . Have fun .:)

Well, the fun thing is that now I will be sailing with people I sailed with this past Oct, so they can help me celebrate. And really, the whole reason I planned a 40th birthday cruise is so that I don't get too depressed about turning the dreaded 4-0. If I have to turn that age, then I'm going to be on a tropical Caribbean beach when it happens, lol!

If you are looking for a Beach Day for Barbados, check out The Boatyard.

Also I would recommend a short trip out to swim with the Turtles. One of the best experiences I have ever had on a cruise. You can find someone to take you out right on the beach, no need to pre-book. I think we paid $20pp with Neville.

And really, the whole reason I planned a 40th birthday cruise is so that I don't get too depressed about turning the dreaded 4-0.

It's overrated. Personally, being 40 feels exactly the same as when I was in my 30's. But it's still a great excuse to go on a cruise, so by all means, make the most of it! [emoji3]