Back to Burma: a SE Asian sojourn

Flamin_June

Just a few quick notes as we sit in a tropical rainstorm in Port Klang.

V smooth embarkation, compared to chaos of Mumbai last year. Still can,t get used to the size of Sojourn as she sits in dock, compared to the good ol' Liltle sisters. Fearful smell of sewage in the main stairwell - they were taking advantage of the extra day layover in Singapore to mount a major sludge clearing operation. All done and sweet smelling now. Maintenance to one of the rudders, apparently.

A largely older crowd, average age mid 70s, but quite a few baby boomers about too. Good mix of US, European, Aussie and Brit passengers. lively club scene.

The usual first night slow service in MDR ( was asked if I would like some ground pepper with my soup - said yes please, never saw waiter again). Waited 45 minutes between starter and main. gave up waiting for dessert menu. Nobody's fault but head office. MDR clearly somewhat short staffed, everyone worked of their feet - but also ' new crew/team syndrome'. Much better second night, where the grouper with watercress emulsion and Spring vegetables "one of best Seabourn dishes I have had in seven cruises" according to DW.

Memorable sail into Port Klang at midday, busy shipping lane, container vessels and oil tankers mixed with tiny fishing vessels and silver flashes of flying fish.

So, the ship is in pretty good condition. A little scuffed or worn here and there, but not in a bad way - more like an old friend or a comfortable pair of shoes. Crew are great - they seem to be going out of their way to make one feel special, as they always do, but more so, in a quiet, polished way. So far it has been some of the smoothest service we have ever experienced. The only hiccups being the classic first night MDR difficulties and an over-enthusiastic bartender emptying almost half a bottle into my wife's glass when she had asked for a small gin.

Talking of the MDR: it is open for lunch and breakfast every day; only for an hour, but then just how long do you need to eat a soft-boiled egg and some toast? After the first night, the two meals we have had there have been outstanding. I had corn chowder, followed by fresh King fish with asparagus last night, Angie (Mrs. June to you), had the chicken and mushroom pastry topped cassoulet as a main, with a watercress and red beet salad. Both were outstanding. Even the cheese plate was good - it is usually good, but the quality of the cheeses was first rate.

Star staff at the moment: Vladan at the Club bar & Kerriegh, from Glasgow, pouring wines in the Restaurant and making coffee during the day, and Rose, our stewardess, from S. Africa - again - the best we have had in seven cruises.

It is largely an 'old school' crowd - despite all the casual dining dress code and the tropical heat most men are wearing jackets in the Restaurant. Formal night tonight - it will be interesting to see how everyone turns out (have not, myself, brought Tux again, but three jackets and a bow tie).

At sea today, sailing north through the straits of Malaca and heading out of the rainy weather that one usually gets at this time of the year in the southern part of the Malay peninsula. 30 degrees, a few clouds here and there, a scattering of small fishing boats, a flat sea, and plenty of activity around the pool deck. Passengers all starting to feel at ease with one another after the initial day or two of curiosity-driven 'checking out'.

Not a mention, hint, nor or even the shadow of a suggestion concerning of Thomas Keller.

Edited by Flamin_June

So, the ship is in pretty good condition. A little scuffed or worn here and there, but not in a bad way - more like an old friend or a comfortable pair of shoes. Crew are great - they seem to be going out of their way to make one feel special, as they always do, but more so, in a quiet, polished way. So far it has been some of the smoothest service we have ever experienced. The only hiccups being the classic first night MDR difficulties and an over-enthusiastic bartender emptying almost half a bottle into my wife's glass when she had asked for a small gin.

Talking of the MDR: it is open for lunch and breakfast every day; only for an hour, but then just how long do you need to eat a soft-boiled egg and some toast? After the first night, the two meals we have had there have been outstanding. I had corn chowder, followed by fresh King fish with asparagus last night, Angie (Mrs. June to you), had the chicken and mushroom pastry topped cassoulet as a main, with a watercress and red beet salad. Both were outstanding. Even the cheese plate was good - it is usually good, but the quality of the cheeses was first rate.

Star staff at the moment: Vladan at the Club bar & Kerriegh, from Glasgow, pouring wines in the Restaurant and making coffee during the day, and Rose, our stewardess, from S. Africa - again - the best we have had in seven cruises.

It is largely an 'old school' crowd - despite all the casual dining dress code and the tropical heat most men are wearing jackets in the Restaurant. Formal night tonight - it will be interesting to see how everyone turns out (have not, myself, brought Tux again, but three jackets and a bow tie).

At sea today, sailing north through the straits of Malaca and heading out of the rainy weather that one usually gets at this time of the year in the southern part of the Malay peninsula. 30 degrees, a few clouds here and there, a scattering of small fishing boats, a flat sea, and plenty of activity around the pool deck. Passengers all starting to feel at ease with one another after the initial day or two of curiosity-driven 'checking out'.

Not a mention, hint, nor or even the shadow of a suggestion concerning of Thomas Keller.

Sounds like the superb standards we experienced on the recent Athens to Dubai leg are continuing.

Lovely to hear from someone on board the ship. Have a wonderful cruise.

Having sailed on Sojourn on January/February and July this year I am missing the old girl. If Captain Elliot and his lovely wife Gayle are on board you are in good hands. But that is the case with all the Seabourn Captains I have sailed with.

Julie

The only hiccups being the classic first night MDR difficulties and an over-enthusiastic bartender emptying almost half a bottle into my wife's glass when she had asked for a small gin.

That's what happened to me on the Odyssey, the Glenmorangies I had in the Colonnade were like three in one. Certainly no skimping on the whiskey.

Brings back pleasant memories. Enjoy your cruise.

That's what happened to me on the Odyssey, the Glenmorangies I had in the Colonnade were like three in one. Certainly no skimping on the whiskey.

Brings back pleasant memories. Enjoy your cruise.

Not to be pedantic ..... but Scotch is 'whisky' ... no 'e'.

Chef is Tony Eggers - met him last night on the deck out back of the Square. A nice man, doing a great job so far. TK menus will be introduced in a few days.

Captain's Dinner last night, lots of DJs and Tuxs in evidence, most passengers making the effort to dress for the occasion. Very busy in the MDR, but staff coping admirably. Is there any one reading this with a direct line to head office? If there is, can you write and tell them that their policy of making a few extra bucks by cutting Crew numbers to the bare minimum is lousy policy. It gives us no pleasure, in fact creates a feeling of discomfort, to see the crew worked so hard, some putting in 12 hour shifts. They are are all stepping up to the plate, no question, but a few extra hands would make all the difference to them - and, more to the point, to us.

Very busy in the MDR, but staff coping admirably. Is there any one reading this with a direct line to head office? If there is, can you write and tell them that their policy of making a few extra bucks by cutting Crew numbers to the bare minimum is lousy policy. It gives us no pleasure, in fact creates a feeling of discomfort, to see the crew worked so hard, some putting in 12 hour shifts. They are are all stepping up to the plate, no question, but a few extra hands would make all the difference to them - and, more to the point, to us.

Exactly what we found on the Odyssey in November. At times waiting staff were running between tables!

Such a pity as this meant they had no time to stop and talk to pax. And this was one of the delights of earlier cruises on Seabourn

It seems that all crew numbers have been cut and with their long working days and little time off they must be exhausted. Nevertheless, invariably they were friendly, cheerful and doing their very best in what must be very trying conditions.

Good on you crew, shame on you Seabourn.

BTW, much enjoying your despatches. Thankyou.

Edited by MARIANH

So can you say exactly how many crew positions have been eliminated? Seems to me that if in fact the number is fewer than that in their advertisements then they at least need to revise them as their high crew to passenger ratio has always been one of their strong selling points.

So can you say exactly how many crew positions have been eliminated? Seems to me that if in fact the number is fewer than that in their advertisements then they at least need to revise them as their high crew to passenger ratio has always been one of their strong selling points.

For me the answer is no. All I can say is that staff on Odyssey ( as appears to be the position on Sojourn) are clearly overworked , certainly more so than was apparent two years ago. Also the challenge of the TK experiment was adding to the workload on Odyssey.

Perhaps someone with an inside track can provide definitive stats.

They poured a rather strong Zinfandel (15.0) at the Capts Dinner the other night, resulting in a mild hangover when i wrote my last entry, hence the tetchy/grumpy tone. I will try to continue in a more positive frame of mind today.

The much delayed 8.00PM sail-away from Singapore was, on reflection, quite spectacular, the city-state's skyscrapers, studded with lights and adorned with red, green blue neon, slowly receding as Sojourn wound her way through the busy harbour. We took a long careful snake-winding route between tankers and ferries, watching the airliners descend into Changi airport. All this traffic alight with blinking lights, while to the port side a refinery seemed to slide by, a tall solitary flare stack pulsing orange fire.

And so at last out to open sea. We had spent the day shopping; had planned to buy a cheongsam for Angie, but got distracted by the Fabindia shop in Vivocity. Recently arrived from grey cold, wet UK, where everyone seems to dress in sludge grey, brown or black these days, we were clearly colour-starved and easily seduced by the gorgeous dyed and hand printed fabrics, embroidered cottons and silks.

Some very noisy people in the suite next door woke us at 1.30 AM, slamming suite and cabinet doors, having an argument and possibly throwing up (this behaviour continued the next evening, but a word with our stewardess, who left a pre-printed Seabourn note to the offending couple, seems to have quieted them somewhat).

Port Klang is a dull stop if one has already been to Kuala Lumpur. We were parked up next to a gigantic "Something of the Seas" and a middle sized Star Cruises vessel. I mooched around the Boustead Cruise Centre, having messed up the shuttle timings, mingling with the Chinese, Indian and Western passengers, rummaging through the cheap 'local' jewelry and Petronas Twin Towers t-shirts while A tried to catch up on her sleep. Later we watched a golden brown Sea Eagle swoop down over the dock and glide into the verdant green tangle of shrubs and palm trees that lined the distant banks.

Two very relaxing Sea days followed, temperatures in the mid 30s, an endless sparkling azure sea merging into the blue of a distant sky full of cotton-puff clouds.

Today we sail into Burmese waters, (docking at 4.00 pm). The sea has changed to a greeny-brown muddy colour. We sail past fishing boat 'villages': hundreds of small boats with rickety wooden dwelling structures, a pitched roof, sleeping platform and cooking area, stretched out like a giant necklace to the horizon.

Two very minor, trivial cut-back gripes: the flavoured butters at dinner have gone, replaced by a slab or two of ordinary yellow stuff. There is no fruit in the suites - instead a note in the Herald to the effect that fruit of the day is available in the club. None of this matters very much, if you have not sailed with SB before, and probably not much even if you have. We asked our stewardess to provide some grapes for our suite - which she does, every day.

[/i]

Flamin June.

Most evocative. Thank you.

You aren't the first person to have Zinned and suffered retribution!

We found on our recent Odyssey cruise that it only took a word to our room stewardess to have a fruit basket delivered every day So no big deal for us also.

I like the idea of a pre printed note to alert neighbours that their misbehaviour is upsetting fellow pax. Sadly no such note seems to be available to give to smokers.

I look forward to your next report with eager anticipation.

Happy cruising.

Edited by MARIANH

[/i]

I like the idea of a pre printed note to alert neighbours that their misbehaviour is upsetting fellow pax.

My concern is people like Mr Luxury see them as a badge of honour working their way up to some sort of über red card :)

We had fruit of the day left in our cabin on our Med cruise but I will say that often it went uneaten and I suspect had to be thrown away once removed so can see the thinking behind not routinely leaving it.

I am however expecting a tropical smörgåsbord in our PH suite :)

My concern is people like Mr Luxury see them as a badge of honour working their way up to some sort of über red card :)

:)

The note that I usually get is from the Hotel Manager telling me that my spend from the wine list could be improved upon and would I correct it by keeping it above $4000.

This of course leaves more of the undrinkable stuff for you[emoji12]

The note that I usually get is from the Hotel Manager telling me that my spend from the wine list could be improved upon and would I correct it by keeping it above $4000.

This of course leaves more of the undrinkable stuff for you[emoji12]

I'm not sure I like the tone of your accusation there Mr L. On our last cruise I'll have you know we ordered from the premium list and the smellier ensured our bottle of Oyster Bay Followed us around the various dining venues.

Never let it be said......

I'm looking forward to finishing the bottle off when we rejoin the ship later on this month :)

H.

Docked at Phuket port. We have been back on board for a couple of days now, after spending two nights at the Governor's Residence in Yangon. It's in the mid to high 30s and very humid. Stayed aboard today as Sojourn did not dock till 11.00am and tours were nor setting off till midday.Most people went ashore, so it was great to have the ship virtually to ourselves, with lovely views out to sea from the port. Everyone, crew and passengers very languid in this heat. Chefs dinner tonight, with all sorts of nonsense such as chicken soup with triuffled CO2 foamed base and bitter chocolate, so we are doing the colonnade for the first time. Managed to get a reservation to a TK Ad Hoc night in a couple of days.

Will write more later, off on a bat cave exploration on Langkawi tomorrow morning. Noisy neighbours had big row the other afternoon, but now seem to have made up.

Good to read your reports, Flamin - well I believe you are not June, as you are a chap?? Re suite fruit; on Sojourn in October and the previous cruise in the spring we were left a plate of two fruits each morning, with a note, saying they were the chosen ones of the day. I thought it was a good idea, we enjoyed some and it is much less wasteful.

There is a current thread about adjoining suites, with possibilities of disturbance, which was thankfully sorted. I have to say that in spite of smoking on balconies, and some noise through the door of adjoining suites, the one thing which you cannot legislate against and which makes my blood boil is noisy neighbours. In our many SB trips we have only had one real problem - people who came in at 2 or 3 a.m., banging their door and cupboards. When we mentioned it, she said we woke them ( at about 8 a.m.!) and we both agreed to try better. It helped a bit. Hope your neighbours decide to be fond of each other, quietly, in future.