National Express Bus Southampton Port

tbird10

Thanks to "John Bull"; "Bob++"; "Dancer Bob" and "phabric" for your responses.

Let me clarify a couple of points which may not have been obvious in my initial post.

Firstly, my husband's lung condition does NOT require him to be in a wheelchair. It does mean that he just can't walk as fast as others; climbing a LOT of stairs is hard on his breathing; and if the distance from the terminal to the central bus pick-up point was extremely long, it would mean that we could possibly have to stop a couple of times for him to catch his breath. In the responses, someone said that it was a 10-minute walk ( but that is dependent on how fast someone walks) and someone else seemed to indicate that it was long walk. So are we talking about 1km; 2km???

Secondly, we are NOT flying into Heathrow the day of the cruise; we are arriving the day before and spending the night in Southampton. We are seasoned enough travellers to not even risk a same day flight. So time is on our side when it comes to getting through the airport formalities and getting to the bus station. I was just looking for an opinion of how difficult the procedure was and also an estimate of the time to allow when booking a bus reservation.

I am aware of Smiths and they are definitely an option.

So any new insight from any of you would be appreciated.:)

Thanks to "John Bull"; "Bob++"; "Dancer Bob" and "phabric" for your responses.

Let me clarify a couple of points which may not have been obvious in my initial post.

Firstly, my husband's lung condition does NOT require him to be in a wheelchair. It does mean that he just can't walk as fast as others; climbing a LOT of stairs is hard on his breathing; and if the distance from the terminal to the central bus pick-up point was extremely long, it would mean that we could possibly have to stop a couple of times for him to catch his breath. In the responses, someone said that it was a 10-minute walk ( but that is dependent on how fast someone walks) and someone else seemed to indicate that it was long walk. So are we talking about 1km; 2km???

Secondly, we are NOT flying into Heathrow the day of the cruise; we are arriving the day before and spending the night in Southampton. We are seasoned enough travellers to not even risk a same day flight. So time is on our side when it comes to getting through the airport formalities and getting to the bus station. I was just looking for an opinion of how difficult the procedure was and also an estimate of the time to allow when booking a bus reservation.

I am aware of Smiths and they are definitely an option.

So any new insight from any of you would be appreciated.:)

I don't know the Ottawa airport, the Toronto airport is huge and my gate is always at the end. I always request a wheelchair from the airlines for within the airport for my in laws when I book their flights, why walk when you can get a ride to the gate. They feel that they don't need it as they can walk when I mention I have reserved a wheelchair but when they return always glad I did.

The walk to Immigration is a long walk, again I would suggest asking the airline for a wheelchair. On my return to terminal 2, the golf cart was waiting to fill up and I (age 64) was glad for the ride as it was a long long walk. The golf cart only goes so far and you still have an escalator and more walking to the gate.

I can't remember if there was any seats along the way to the National Express, you can always stop and catch your breath, leaning against your luggage.

Why not book your tickets for 3 hours after arrival and if too early or later National Express will change your ticket.

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn West Herbert and Premier Inn West Quay in Southampton.

Since you're not travelling on your sailing day, the 1.15pm (13.15) Nat Express bus to Southampton is the one you want.

If your flight is super-early and you whistle straight through the formalities, at the bus station you can ask to be bumped forward to the earlier bus though that's very unlikely.

From T2 arrivals to central bus station the walk is 10 mins for the average passenger and includes an easy ramp down one level, a moving walkway, and an elevator (lift) up to the bus station.

I suggest you ignore the option of crossing roads - taxis & trucks will have you for breakfast :D .

I get the impression that you'll be fine for just T2 arrivals hall to bus station, but assistance is available if pre-arranged.

But T2 has an extension, called 2B, so the walk from your aircraft to the arrivals hall may be a very long one - longer than the walk to the bus station and including waits at immigration & possibly the baggage hall. Again, assistance is available if pre-booked thro' your airline. And I get the impression you can book this assistance from aircraft thro to central bus station in one hit.

In all cases, the assistance is free of charge.

From what I've seen it's a slow process, but you have an excessive amount of time - about 3.75 hours.

There's refreshment facilities etc at the bus station, but a better choice & environment in the arrivals hall.

http://maps.heathrow.com/index.php?zoom=9&lat=51.471005230512645&lng=-0.4540033887211551&overlaymap=0

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/special-assistance

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Heathrow/Content/Airportguide/Specialassistance/heathrow-we-ll-help-you-fly.pdf

JB :)

Since you're not travelling on your sailing day, the 1.15pm (13.15) Nat Express bus to Southampton is the one you want.

If your flight is super-early and you whistle straight through the formalities, at the bus station you can ask to be bumped forward to the earlier bus though that's very unlikely.

From T2 arrivals to central bus station the walk is 10 mins for the average passenger and includes an easy ramp down one level, a moving walkway, and an elevator (lift) up to the bus station.

I suggest you ignore the option of crossing roads - taxis & trucks will have you for breakfast :D .

I get the impression that you'll be fine for just T2 arrivals hall to bus station, but assistance is available if pre-arranged.

But T2 has an extension, called 2B, so the walk from your aircraft to the arrivals hall may be a very long one - longer than the walk to the bus station and including waits at immigration & possibly the baggage hall. Again, assistance is available if pre-booked thro' your airline. And I get the impression you can book this assistance from aircraft thro to central bus station in one hit.

In all cases, the assistance is free of charge.

From what I've seen it's a slow process, but you have an excessive amount of time - about 3.75 hours.

There's refreshment facilities etc at the bus station, but a better choice & environment in the arrivals hall.

http://maps.heathrow.com/index.php?zoom=9&lat=51.471005230512645&lng=-0.4540033887211551&overlaymap=0

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/special-assistance

http://www.heathrow.com/file_source/Heathrow/Content/Airportguide/Specialassistance/heathrow-we-ll-help-you-fly.pdf

Thank you. Great links and advice.

Merry Christmas!!!

• 1 month later...

Will be on Emerald Princess which disembarks at Southampton on April 16th Saturday.

I know we need to get to the coach station to catch the National Express coach for LHR.

There are a 0945 and then a 1130 departure. Assuming we can catch the 0945 departure, what is the realistic flight departure time I should book? (LHR-MAD, there are 2pm and 3pm departure and of course much later flights too).

For the EU flights on BA departing at T5, how early we need to be at the airport?

Edited by nho9504

Will be on Emerald Princess which disembarks at Southampton on April 16th Saturday.

I know we need to get to the coach station to catch the National Express coach for LHR.

There are a 0945 and then a 1130 departure. Assuming we can catch the 0945 departure, what is the realistic flight departure time I should book? (LHR-MAD, there are 2pm and 3pm departure and of course much later flights too).

For the EU flights on BA departing at T5, how early we need to be at the airport?

No worries, a lot of circumstances are in your favour :)

- It's a Saturday and not a holiday weekend, traffic heading to London will be light so a delay is unlikely.

- T5 is the first airport stop on this route so the journey time is only 1 hr 45, (that's 20 minutes shorter than for Ts 1, 2, 3) and T5 has its own bus stop right at the terminal.

- latest check-in times for European flights are short, for BA I think it's 45 minutes (though that's extremely tight timing if there's a long line for security, and you have to take a short people-mover train from airside to your departure lounge.)

Advice given by the airport is usually to arrive 3 hrs ahead of a flight, but that's way too conservative - especially when folk usually add a further margin. Mebbe they just want to sell more over-priced airport coffees ;)

The 09.45 arrives 11.30 giving you stacks of leeway for a 2pm flight.

The 11.30 arrives 13.15 (1.15pm), that's way too tight for a 2pm flight but OK for a 3pm.

Just to be doubly-safe, if the ship allocates you a late disembarkation slot you should ask for an earlier slot (up to say 8.30) to be sure of making the 09.45 coach.

And do pre-book the coach.

Edited by John Bull

Don't forget to check flights out of LGW as well - you can get a train directly to the airport from Southampton, making it equally as convenient as LHR.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

We can do the walk-off if needed, but do want to have a last good breakfast on board before heading out, so disembark at 8:30 and catch the 0945 bus sounds reasonable. key is the immigration process and the availability of taxi.

I read above that one could even walk to the coach station? We only have 21" roller so walking is not a problem. However my understanding is, only one terminal (City terminal?) is walkable to the coach station. I haven't found out which terminal Emerald would dock on Apr 16th.

To be on the safe side, 3pm flight that is.

Per BA site when I put in LON-MAD, all flights in the afternoon coming up are from LHR, including both BA's and IB's. Since we are using Avios, LHR that is.

Again, thanks for keeping up this thread! Much appreciated!

Edited by nho9504

Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

I read above that one could even walk to the coach station? We only have 21" roller so walking is not a problem. However my understanding is, only one terminal (City terminal?) is walkable to the coach station. I haven't found out which terminal Emerald would dock on Apr 16th.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

Emerald docks at 106 berth, Mayflower cruise terminal.

I'd certainly take a taxi but it's walkable in about 25 minutes. Not an attractive walk but pretty flat & safe enough with sidewalks, & traffic lights to cross the only major road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.905021,-1.4275801/50.9059179,-1.4087054/@50.9035678,-1.4199889,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

Emerald docks at 106 berth, Mayflower cruise terminal.

I'd certainly take a taxi but it's walkable in about 25 minutes. Not an attractive walk but pretty flat & safe enough with sidewalks, & traffic lights to cross the only major road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.905021,-1.4275801/50.9059179,-1.4087054/@50.9035678,-1.4199889,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e2

Thanks John for finding the info.

My husband worries about the availability of taxi because of the short haul that taxi would not come to the cruise terminal for small fares. But if it is walkable within 25 min normal walk, then we can make sure to pad enough time just in case long long line for taxi we can just walk.

Edited by nho9504

Generally speaking, taxi drivers don't mind these short trips. The minimum fare is more than enough to cover the mileage and they will get some tips too (usually just a rounding up - but it all adds up).

Taxis at Heathrow are different in that the airport charges them just for being there. For this reason, a trip to a local hotel may actually lose them money.

This is the official word

http://www.nationalexpress.com/Help-and-advice/coaches/luggage-and-lost-property.aspx

Personally I have never had a problem getting any luggage on and we have had 5 pieces between 2 of us and some of them a bit heavier, as most airlines allow up to 23kg.

Simon

As Simon's answer. You should have no worries unless you're grossly over the limit. If so, then unless the coach is full & a lot of folk have luggage (passengers won't all be cruisers :)) you simply pay an excess baggage fee - but it's nothing like rip-off airline baggage fees.

Only in the very very unlikely event that the driver fears over-loading his vehicle would you be refused boarding with excessive luggage - in that case I guess one or both of you would have to take the train. Frequent train service (starts with a shuttle), same total journey time, tickets about £40 each, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Edited by John Bull

As Simon's answer. You should have no worries unless you're grossly over the limit. If so, then unless the coach is full & a lot of folk have luggage (passengers won't all be cruisers :)) you simply pay an excess baggage fee - but it's nothing like rip-off airline baggage fees.

Only in the very very unlikely event that the driver fears over-loading his vehicle would you be refused boarding with excessive luggage - in that case I guess one or both of you would have to take the train. Frequent train service (starts with a shuttle), same total journey time, tickets about £40 each, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thank you JB and Simon for your replies....very helpful! I'm still debating using National Express bus or paying a little more for the private car service. Smiths for Airports was very prompt is responding to my request for an estimate.

JB, we are currently researching one way flights from the Netherlands to join Harmony 29 May. What are merits of Heathrow v.Gatwick ? Thinking of the Sunday itself. Also thinking of Southampton Eastleigh but flight arrival on Sunday is too tight, so would have to go on Saturday.

Thanks!

JB, we are currently researching one way flights from the Netherlands to join Harmony 29 May. What are merits of Heathrow v.Gatwick ? Thinking of the Sunday itself. Also thinking of Southampton Eastleigh but flight arrival on Sunday is too tight, so would have to go on Saturday.

Thanks!

On a sunday, for public transport to Southampton, Heathrow is a marginally better bet than Gatwick.

Quickest & simplest from Heathrow is the direct National Express bus service, http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

Quickest & simplest from Gatwick is normally the direct train service, but there's no direct service on a sunday - it means a couple of changes. And to compound that, engineering work on rail tracks is usually done on a sunday so a rail journey might also involve a bus shuttle between affected stations.

So on a sunday, from Gatwick the direct National Express bus service is a much better bet.

Journey costs (bus or private transfer) from Gatwick are a little more than from Heathrow, but may be insignificant compared to the cost of air tickets and the convenience of flight times.

I believe that from April there will be two airlines operating direct flights AMS to SOU, Flybe and KLM. For flight costs, do a dummy booking in order to get a cost that factors in luggage etc.

Southampton airport is small & formalities quick (about 30 minutes or less), and it's about a 20 minute taxi ride to the city centre or any cruise terminal.

But yes, there's always the risk of a flight delay - no fun when you have a ship's deadline. If you fly in a day early & book a hotel in the city centre, Southampton has plenty to interest you for a day.

Edited by John Bull

Thanks!

I see that flights to Southampton are cheaper on Saturday which might make up for the hotel cost. Bear in mind that Flybe are a budget airline and may add extra charges for luggage, whereas BA generally do not, and also allow more cabin baggage such as handbags or laptops.

Getting to the port from Heathrow or Gatwick is fairly easy by coach or private hire car, and you should allow two hours for the journey.

Edited by Bob++

Just seen your cruise date. So you know, that is a Bank Holiday weekend. More traffic on the roads (if the weather is nice!). Also, although the Harmony sails at 1800, I think you have to be checked in by 1500 (or 1530), so allowing for possible extra traffic, you don't want to be arriving at LHR much after 1200.

Simon

Just seen your cruise date. So you know, that is a Bank Holiday weekend. More traffic on the roads (if the weather is nice!). Also, although the Harmony sails at 1800, I think you have to be checked in by 1500 (or 1530), so allowing for possible extra traffic, you don't want to be arriving at LHR much after 1200.

Simon

Eek, forgot its a bank holiday weekend! Thanks for the Heads up. We arrive LHR 1045. Hopefully we will be on ship comfortably by 1400....

Eek, forgot its a bank holiday weekend! Thanks for the Heads up. We arrive LHR 1045. Hopefully we will be on ship comfortably by 1400....

Being the sunday of the Bank Holiday, you should have no grief. The roads from London to the coast will be thick with traffic on the Friday pm & Saturday am. On sunday they'll already be where they want to be. :)

• 2 years later...