QM2 Crew - My Observations

Winchester Ranger

Just some general and highly personal opinions on the general crew performance aboard QM2 during her 250th crossing last month (is it already last month :( )

I must say that I was impressed with Joanna Hayley as the Entertainment Director - a simply delightful girl in every sense of the word. My morning routine wouldn't have been complete without her daily briefing and the almost Tai Chi like hand movements she makes as she speaks. She appeared in the MDR one evening for the chef's parade dressed in a dazzling skin tight cocktail dress - and yes, it would be true to say I developed a huge crush on her :o

As for the more junior staff, especially the stewards, I came away with a mixed impression. Most of the Thai/Malaysian/Philippines staff were very pleasant and professional, especially the room maids who were a delight even in spite of their heavy workload - I had a few instances where a male steward would walk past me while resolutely staring at his feet and pretending I wasn't there, but it was unusual. The Russian/Eastern European staff were however notably surly and unfriendly for no apparent reason. One experience typified my experiences with them - I joined a cruisemate for High Tea and we both decided on Earl Grey. Knowing that I would drain the small personal tea pot in no time I asked our Russian steward for 2 pots - one for each of us, and his reaction typified my experience with the Russian/Eastern European staff:

Steward - "why you want 2 pots ?"

Me - "well there are 2 of us"

Steward - "you share one pot then"

Me - "Yes but one pot only makes 2 or 3 cups and we would like some extra please"

With that he rolled his eyes and turned away without saying anything. To be fair he did bring us 2 pots and I thanked him profusely, but his attitude made us feel more like a nuisance than a valued guest, which is not what I'm assuming Cunard is looking for.

I inevitably have to draw a comparison with the staff I encountered aboard NCL Getaway (my/our last cruise) who were absolutely amazing - positive and professional, they made you feel like they really wanted to go the extra mile for you.

As I said, just personal observations but thought I would share.

Oh dear- that guy serving you High Tea- is quite obviously not made for service- I could not believe what I was reading. He needs to learn some manners- and then some!

I agree with your experiences with Russian´s , some of them seem to thing that they are all descendands of the former Imperial family - Rommanov and behave acordingly. While others go out of there way to be helpfull and friendly- so one really can put all into the same drawer!

I have planed a Transantlantic a week after QM2 ´s refit! Can´t wait!

Edited by Germancruiser

We had a very surly wine waiter on the QM2 a few years ago. He was French as it happens and would look down his nose at the 4 of us because I ordered beer and no else had anything with their meal. I was tempted to ask for a glass of Blue Nun or Black Tower !!

Contrast and compare with a wine waiter we had on the QV (who was Russian). He was fantastic ! We were ordering wine but also when we arrived after about the 2nd or 3rd night he had a bottle of Grolsh in an ice bucket waiting for me.

Sometimes I think people for which English is not their first language sometimes come across as being rude/surely when it's just their use of language and how they have been taught it. I've also often heard people speaking English as second language who are overly polite to the point of annoyance.

So when I'm speaking with people whose first language is not English I always make allowances for the above and don't get upset if they appear off-hand (and I'm in no position to criticises anyone's language skills as I can't speak a word of anything else).

Hello, What a very polite and gentle reply Toad. You must be a very nice person to share a dining table with. I only drink beer but never have it on the table. On QE a little earlier this year, after we had changed tables, we were put next to the cabins table. One night one of the " guests " had three pints of Lager on the table.

Why is this web site so dreadfully slow ?.

Rodger.

Edited by branston boy

Just thought I would point out that Afternoon Tea and not High Tea is the light meal that is served between between hours of 4 pm and 5 pm. High Tea is a completely different event - this is the cooked meal (usually cooked) eaten by the working classes between the hours of 5 pm and 7 pm.

We've sailed with Joanna before. I know what you mean. I observed that she seemed to be getting a lot of gentlemen in trouble with their wives. I got a swift elbow to the ribs from my better half on a few occasions.

There's definitely something about the way she moves, seeming to glide rather than walk. I wouldn't be surprised if she was a professional dancer in a former life.

With regards to the Eastern Europeans, I don't think they're intentionally rude, I just think it's that they struggle with our language and their accents can make them sound a tad rude, but I'm sure it's not intentional. We met a waitress from the Ukraine in Queen Elizabeth's Commodore Club this year. She initially came across quite rude, but as we got to talk to her and understand her, we found a really lovely girl with a wicked sense of humour.

Just thought I would point out that Afternoon Tea and not High Tea is the light meal that is served between between hours of 4 pm and 5 pm. High Tea is a completely different event - this is the cooked meal (usually cooked) eaten by the working classes between the hours of 5 pm and 7 pm.

Working classes? That's a bit last century innit.

David.

We've sailed with Joanna before.

There's definitely something about the way she moves, seeming to glide rather than walk. I wouldn't be surprised if she was a professional dancer in a former life.

Joanna was the cruise director on my very first cruise which was on Fred. Olsen's Black Watch. As a new cruiser I had no idea that cruise directors even existed! Yes, she is a dancer and took part in the crew show, displaying her dancing skills. She was hilarious at the cook off between the Captain and the comedian on our last sea day, which was the first time she had hosted it.

I'm not surprised that she has risen to such a high profile position with Cunard in just over 6 years, well done Joanna!

Joanna is friends with a former student (and now friend) of mine who wirked with her on Fred Olsen. When I met up with him in Dubai a couple of weeks ago and I was telling him about my forthcoming Christmas cruise, he said Joanna was Cruise Director on QM2. Am looking forward to meeting her.

Speaking of possible differences in Russian behaviour, I found this explanation interesting:

"...There are some behaviour patterns you may find very different from those you are used to. Some things may shock you initially, but they can usually be explained through Russia's history and your Russian friends will make efforts to help you understand why things are done the way they are. Always remember that what you consider normal behaviour may seem strange to your Russian friends.

Two things that newly arrived expatriates often find particularly troubling are the fact that Russians can seem very rude and that they rarely smile in public. Rudeness in public situations is still common. You may encounter it at supermarkets, at the post office, in public transport. Please do not let this discourage you and always remember that this is nothing personal.

Smiling at strangers is a rarity in Russia. 70 years of history taught people not to trust anybody and to guard their own territory. Just recall the famous Soviet poster "Ne Boltai" (Do not Chatter) and you will understand the roots of not smiling at unfamiliar persons. There is also an inherited notion from "village Russia" that people who smile for no reason must be simpletons. However, while people tend to be introvert or aggressive on the outside, you will find that they are extremely kind and helpful if you get beyond their first suspicion. Keep going to the same supermarket, the same bank and the same dry cleaners over and over again, keep smiling and do say "hello" and "goodbye" every time you arrive and leave - people will eventually start remembering you and most will start smile back. They are often not used to people being polite and nice to them and your efforts will be appreciated. It may just take some time, so don't give up..." copied in part from http://www.expat.ru/s_russian_mind.php

I was only trying to explain the difference between Afternoon Tea and High Tea so that readers of these columns would be aware of the correct name of the meal they were eating. I wasn't a social comment. I have never watched Downton Abbey, to much cap doffing for my tastes.

I am an American who knows the distinction between tea and high tea. When I hear or see someone making a reference to high tea who doesn't understand that high tea doesn't signify an elevated event, it's like a fingernail on a chalkboard. Americans generally don't get the difference. We are worst about it.

we have found the vast majority of crew to be professional and very much adhere to cunard standards........even the supposedly :rolleyes:rude russians:D

Yes, the majority are as you describe, and as they should be if doing their job properly. Unfortunately it is the rare encounters with rude staff that sticks in one's memory as it is unexpected and unpleasant. No particular nationality has a 'mortgage' on brusque or rude behaviour though.

We had a lovely 28 day cruise on QM2 returning 3rd December. All the staff from our cabin steward to our incredibly helpful Britannia MDR staff were all simply fantastic. Couldn't fault them.

Regarding Joanna the entertainment director, she certainly has come a long way since her end of cruise crew productions and her dance of the fans on the Black Watch, but I wasn't impressed when after broadcasting the same thing along the corridors five minutes earlier, Joe then paged straight through to the QM2's State Cabin's speakers full volume to tell us all about entertainment changes. That sort of thing used to happen in cabins on Fred Olsen all the time because Joe certainly loved to broadcast, but this is Cunard! The only thing I want to hear from my cabin speakers is about ship safety (or perhaps if I have won the lottery) It happened at 6.05pm on 1 December 2015, I remember it well because the blast from the ceiling speaker from Joe in my cabin woke me up with a fright. :eek:

We had a lovely 28 day cruise on QM2 returning 3rd December. All the staff from our cabin steward to our incredibly helpful Britannia MDR staff were all simply fantastic. Couldn't fault them.

Regarding Joanna the entertainment director, she certainly has come a long way since her end of cruise crew productions and her dance of the fans on the Black Watch, but I wasn't impressed when after broadcasting the same thing along the corridors five minutes earlier, Joe then paged straight through to the QM2's State Cabin's speakers full volume to tell us all about entertainment changes. That sort of thing used to happen in cabins on Fred Olsen all the time because Joe certainly loved to broadcast, but this is Cunard! The only thing I want to hear from my cabin speakers is about ship safety (or perhaps if I have won the lottery) It happened at 6.05pm on 1 December 2015, I remember it well because the blast from the ceiling speaker from Joe in my cabin woke me up with a fright. :eek:

As much as I liked Jo I must confess that the room broadcast about the postponement of the Flying Wallendas (or whatever they were called) on the cabin speakers was really annoying, especially when they went on to repeat it in other languages. Jo does like to broadcast, this is true.

As an ex-member of the 'Working Class' born and raised not too far from Moston i have never in all my 70+ years heard the meal taken between 5 and 7 i.e. teatime referred to as High Tea. It was simply 'Tea'. High tea was reserved for teatimes usually at weekends on some special occasions and was not usually cooked. It consisted normally of cooked meats, ham especially, beef, potted meat, which I suppose we must now call Paté, salad was often involved and maybe cake.

I certainly never heard my, or anyone else's, mother shouting for us to come in and get our 'High Tea'. Or, 'Your dad will be home for his High Tea soon'.

It's all moot.We call it dinner now. Language changes. Dinner is now lunch or even, heaven forfend, luncheon. Lunch was what you took to school to eat at lunchtime which is now 'morning break' Heaven knows where supper has gone. It used to be the bite just before you went to bed, perhaps a biscuit with your cocoa. Ou est les wossnames de thingy?

MM