Fascination Muster Station Drill

fitoldguyinspeedo

So I've read several posts about the Muster Drill taking forever on the Fascination recently. My question we sail out of San Juan at 10pm and the Muster Drill is suppose to be done immediately after sailing. Seems to me to be a little late to be doing such a drill. Especially if it takes an hour and a half.

Any thoughts?

So I've read several posts about the Muster Drill taking forever on the Fascination recently. My question we sail out of San Juan at 10pm and the Muster Drill is suppose to be done immediately after sailing. Seems to me to be a little late to be doing such a drill. Especially if it takes an hour and a half.

Any thoughts?

I'm going to guess, and it's only a guess, that guests start boarding around noon. The ship doesn't depart until 10. The bars are open. That might cause a delay. I believe every muster that I've done was done just before getting underway.

Is the muster carried out on deck or is it in places like the theater?

Any thoughts?

It's just because people don't show up.

Carnival needs to rethink the place the drill takes place. Other lines bring you to public rooms and not squash you together into 6 rows. Anyone with a disability could never stand that long, especially in such a crowded atmosphere.

As I've stated in many posts about this on virtually every forum here on CC, this is not something that can be changed during the life of the ship. I have never heard of a given ship changing muster locations after newbuilding. The muster locations must be submitted to class society and flag state, studied using crowd management paradigm software to determine if it is suitable for mustering the number of people assigned, and then implemented. Those ships that do indoor musters have had their public spaces studied and designed for proper ingress, egress, storage, physical space per person, and location in relation to the lifeboat embarkation locations, as well as possible relocation due to fire in the zone of the muster location.

Additionally, all ships will have a special needs muster location, which is available to anyone requiring it, and one accompanying guest, which will be indoors, have seating, and be provided with extra crew and usually a nurse.

Post Costa Concordia, the muster must be done prior to departure. For evening departures, it is generally done late afternoon or just before dinner.

If it is done just before dinner, what happens when a passenger boards at 8:30 pm for a 10 pm departure?

We were on Fascination in October. Muster drill was not lengthy at all. Don't be afraid of the posts you've read. I believe that was an anomaly.

They are not lengthy. Why the post being referenced to took so long certainly was not all instruction on how to put on a life jacket. If I had been there, I'd put up a major complaint. It's not a mega sized ship.

Carnival needs to rethink the place the drill takes place. Other lines bring you to public rooms and not squash you together into 6 rows. Anyone with a disability could never stand that long, especially in such a crowded atmosphere.

Depends on the class of ship. Most muster stations on the Fantasy class meet in the lounges on deck 9 then goes to the lifeboats. One does muster on lido. Other classes muster outside. The HAL ships we've sailed muster outside. Princess musters in lounges but doesn't go to the lifeboats. I like knowing where to load the lifeboats.

Disabled usually have their own arrangements.

Delays in the muster process are most likely caused by your fellow pax not following directions.

Edited by SadieN

As I've stated in many posts about this on virtually every forum here on CC, this is not something that can be changed during the life of the ship. I have never heard of a given ship changing muster locations after newbuilding. The muster locations must be submitted to class society and flag state, studied using crowd management paradigm software to determine if it is suitable for mustering the number of people assigned, and then implemented. Those ships that do indoor musters have had their public spaces studied and designed for proper ingress, egress, storage, physical space per person, and location in relation to the lifeboat embarkation locations, as well as possible relocation due to fire in the zone of the muster location.

Additionally, all ships will have a special needs muster location, which is available to anyone requiring it, and one accompanying guest, which will be indoors, have seating, and be provided with extra crew and usually a nurse.

We've been on over 30 cruises and never heard of any special place for special needs guests. DW doesn't go and we tell the cabin steward and he brings a paper for her to read. As far as places being studied for proper... the last Celebrity cruise we were shuttled to the theater and at least two hundred people wound up standing along the walls. In the event of a real emergency the crew is in the hall giving directions.

We've been on over 30 cruises and never heard of any special place for special needs guests. DW doesn't go and we tell the cabin steward and he brings a paper for her to read. As far as places being studied for proper... the last Celebrity cruise we were shuttled to the theater and at least two hundred people wound up standing along the walls. In the event of a real emergency the crew is in the hall giving directions.

Every ship and every line will have a special needs muster station. You need to request it at guest services upon boarding.

My question regarding your Celebrity cruise, you say you were "shuttled" to the theater, does this mean the theater was not your muster station, and you were taken from the muster station to the theater? If you were sent to the theater for a video or instruction in lifejackets, that is something other than the muster. There is no requirement that seating be provided for everyone, its not about comfort, its about having the passengers in a controlled area where they can then be accounted for, and if necessary, dispatched to the boats.

When we were on the Pride the staff saw DW's cane and directed her to a place inside for the muster drill (near the exit but there were places to sit). On the Gem our muster station was in the theater.

If it is done just before dinner, what happens when a passenger boards at 8:30 pm for a 10 pm departure?

Having done several cruises from San Juan with a 10 PM departure (not on the Fascination), my safety drills have always happened around 9:30. So the passenger you referenced would have no problem making it. They may, however, have a problem finding an outlet for dinner. The MDR closed at 8:15 and the steakhouse closed at 7. Lido was still open until 9.

P.S. I've never had a safety drill last anything approaching an hour and a half. 35 minutes is as long as I've experienced. Maybe I've been lucky?

For me on two occasions the muster drill took an hour or more, once on the Victory and once on the Ecstasy. On the Ecstasy it was the worst because our muster station was inside the China Town lounge and it was VERY hot and uncomfortable with all of the people in there. By far the worst muster drill I've participated in.

I've also been on the Sensation where the muster drill took place as we sailed away from Port Canaveral. An hour + muster drill can seem like an eternity when your beer glass is empty :)

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Every ship and every line will have a special needs muster station. You need to request it at guest services upon boarding.

My question regarding your Celebrity cruise, you say you were "shuttled" to the theater, does this mean the theater was not your muster station, and you were taken from the muster station to the theater? If you were sent to the theater for a video or instruction in lifejackets, that is something other than the muster. There is no requirement that seating be provided for everyone, its not about comfort, its about having the passengers in a controlled area where they can then be accounted for, and if necessary, dispatched to the boats.

We were directed to the theater and roll was taken. The presentation and emergency instructions were given. we were then dismissed. That fulfilled the required muster drill.