Valid/Active Passport

buckeye rob

How can one tell if a passport is valid ? Example: A passport was presumed lost and then found. A replacement was issued in the interim. Is the "old" passport still valid also, (don't think so), How can one tell if a passport is valid ? I think I destroyed the "old" one, but having second thoughts about the one in hand. Also, when you register with the cruise line do they check the validity of the passport #s entered ? I am 100% complete in check in progress if that means anything. Not sailing until August 20 but would hate to not do anything about it all these months and then have to spend Saturday night again in Miami due to a defunct passport. Thanks Gerry

Edited by buckeye rob

How can one tell if a passport is valid ? Example: A passport was presumed lost and then found. A replacement was issued in the interim. Is the "old" passport still valid also, (don't think so), How can one tell if a passport is valid ? I think I destroyed the "old" one, but having second thoughts about the one in hand. Also, when you register with the cruise line do they check the validity of the passport #s entered ? I am 100% complete in check in progress if that means anything. Not sailing until August 20 but would hate to not do anything about it all these months and then have to spend Saturday night again in Miami due to a defunct passport. Thanks Gerry

They would have cancelled the old passport when they issued the new one, so the new one is the valid one. I suppose if you wanted to you could call the State Department (I would check their website for phone number) and ask them if it's valid. If you are on a closed loop cruise you could bring your birth certificate as a back up in case the passport does turn out to be invalid for some reason.

I assumed that you registered the cruise with the old passport when you made the reservation. Then you lost your passport and applied for a new one. When you received the new one, you also found the old/misplaced passport. The new one is the valid one. Don't even try to use the old one as you will have a big headache in today's world. If you need to light the BBQ grill in the summer, it might come in handy.

When the replacement was issued the original was made invalid. If you have any idea when you got the replacement, then the new one would be valid for 10 years from that date. The old one was valid for 10 years from when it was issued. If you can't remember when you got the replacement you are going to have to contact the US State Department for assistance.

Why are you having second thoughts about the one in hand?

Doesn't matter where the old pp is or why you got a new pp....the point is you got a new pp so that is your only valid usable pp

The other has been cancelled so either destroy it or keep it somewhere safe if you insist.....

But.....your only VALID pp is the replacement one you got

Also your replacement pp has the date of issue on it. You do recall when you ordered the replacement pp right?

You had to pay for it by check so just look at you bank statement

I must assume this whole replacement deal was recent. However if it happened a few years ago and you are just getting around to using you pp again perhaps a phone call to the pp agency is needed

Thanks folks for the help. Keith, the phone number you gave solved my paranoia. My passport was replaced about two years ago, however when I went to the safe to check it to submit my cruise numbers I had second thoughts about its validity. I then realized I had several countries with dates stamped in it which I would not have had from cruising. Closed loop, being unstamped from a cruise. Still wonder though if when you submit your passport numbers to the cruise line if they do anything with them. i.e. checking for validity. Thanks Gerry

Thanks folks for the help. Keith, the phone number you gave solved my paranoia. My passport was replaced about two years ago, however when I went to the safe to check it to submit my cruise numbers I had second thoughts about its validity. I then realized I had several countries with dates stamped in it which I would not have had from cruising. Closed loop, being unstamped from a cruise. Still wonder though if when you submit your passport numbers to the cruise line if they do anything with them. i.e. checking for validity. Thanks Gerry

I believe that they do have a way to verify that a passport is valid and of course the passport number is submitted to CBP on the passenger manifest (I am not sure if the validity check is done when you enter the info for online checkin or if they wait until you physically checkin to check it).

Edited by sparks1093

Still wonder though if when you submit your passport numbers to the cruise line if they do anything with them. i.e. checking for validity.
The cruise line is not able to check for validity (aside from checking the expiration date and that sort of thing), but they have to submit all passenger information to CBP or whoever requires it before the ship is allowed to set sail.

They are checked when while you cruise. That is one of the many reasons that the manifest is submitted to CBP prior to departure.