Staggered boarding time expands...Dream & Elation

Elaine515

I think what you are doing is very sweet and considerate. But I'll be honest, I live less than an hour away from the port. I'm way to excited and if the hubby would let me, I would be camped out by the door. This will be my first cruise with a balcony and I get him to myself without work calling. I admire what he does (CSI) but he is mine for one week. So that is why I picked the earliest I could. You really are being sweet and at least with the back to back you can enjoy the sights. I LOVE cafe de monde. Grew up going there. Messy but oh well. Enjoy your cruises. I'm jealous :) .

No I think you misunderstood. I'm not being selfless by choosing the last boarding time. It simply doesn't make any difference since I don't intend to get off the ship between cruises. Instead I enjoy that time between when everybody leaves the ship and everybody starts getting on. For an hour or two you feel like you're the only passenger on the boat!

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of controlling the numbers in the facility? A simple example: you go into a restaurant and you see numbers on the wall, "Maximum capacity 200". This is what they are trying to do. How does anyone showing up at a time they didn't choose help? You can fit only so many people in the room at one time. Yes, it does say priority and FTTF show up when you want, but if you have a clue what time you are going to show up, just pick it on the screen. It is not helping anyone out by leaving the earlier times available. When the capacity is reached, all over the allowed number will be waiting outside until the line moves anyway.

I do have FFTF. I choose the time I plan on coming. I know (most)everyone wants to get on the ship ASAP, but you can only fit so many sardines in the can at once!

Just my .02 cent and humble opinion.

No, not really because those with priority almost always have a separate waiting area dedicated to their status that would not impact the capacity of the general boarding passengers.

No, not really because those with priority almost always have a separate waiting area dedicated to their status that would not impact the capacity of the general boarding passengers.

I have found there is usually a separate Plat/Diamond lounge, but not always/usually a separate area for FTTF. FTTF often waits with general boarding.

It does affect General Boarding because the same lines for security feed into each other. At least they did in Galveston last year.....

I'm going on Elation next Nov 2016 but I see no way to chose a time. I have checked in, including adding a credit card, etc.

I have not added a traveling companion yet so maybe that is why?

Am I supposed to be able chose a time slot this far out ?

Go online to manage your booking

Select edit online check in

Over to the left it should say my check in time (underneath listing of current guests)

I'm going on Elation next Nov 2016 but I see no way to chose a time. I have checked in, including adding a credit card, etc.

Go online to manage your booking

Select edit online check in

Over to the left it should say my check in time (underneath listing of current guests)

Nope. All it says is my name & then TBA guest name.

Then it says "on board expenses"

Then it says "cruise contract"

If that's where it is supposed to be located, then maybe my Elation sailing is not allowing boarding times yet. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep checking.

Thx.

Yeah, that is where it is supposed to be. I don't know all the rules yet like if you need all guest names or final payment needs to be made before you can select, etc. Maybe it has something to do with that. Ours is in March and already final payment time so none of those applied and it popped right up.

Nope. All it says is my name & then TBA guest name.

Then it says "on board expenses"

Then it says "cruise contract"

If that's where it is supposed to be located, then maybe my Elation sailing is not allowing boarding times yet. Oh well, I guess I'll just keep checking.

Thx.

Yeah, that is where it is supposed to be. I don't know all the rules yet like if you need all guest names or final payment needs to be made before you can select, etc. Maybe it has something to do with that. Ours is in March and already final payment time so none of those applied and it popped right up.

Oh. I didn't think about that. I don't plan on paying my final payment nor adding my friend's name until forced to do so.

I have found there is usually a separate Plat/Diamond lounge, but not always/usually a separate area for FTTF. FTTF often waits with general boarding.

It does affect General Boarding because the same lines for security feed into each other. At least they did in Galveston last year.....

I've cruised out of 6 different ports (albeit not Galveston) and there has been a separate check in line for priority passengers, a separate waiting area designated for Diamond/Plats and a separate waiting area designated for guests with FTTF. The only time it was a problem was when terminal employees became lax and allowed the general boarding passengers to overwhelm the available space.

If Galveston doesn't have similar infrastructure, perhaps all the more reason they started the staggered check-in process in that port to deal with the limitations of that port facility and anticipated that it was a process that could be applied to other ports as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Elation will be out of Jacksonville in November (We sail on Halloween) which hasn't started assigning times YET.

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't open up the time slots until 3 months or so to go.

I think I read some where that all ports will roll out staggered times in 2016. It started in Galveston as a trial.

I'm sailing on Elation in March and I went ahead and checked in to see if it would be in NOLA. It didn't show up. A couple weeks later I received an email stating I had to chose a time. So I went back under there and there was a place to choose time.

It could be Jacksonville hasn't started it yet, but it's coming.

I think I read some where that all ports will roll out staggered times in 2016. It started in Galveston as a trial.

I'm sailing on Elation in March and I went ahead and checked in to see if it would be in NOLA. It didn't show up. A couple weeks later I received an email stating I had to chose a time. So I went back under there and there was a place to choose time.

It could be Jacksonville hasn't started it yet, but it's coming.

So we leave from Miami on Saturday am I correct that this does not apply to us? I have gone back and rechecked my online check-in and it says nothing about choosing a port arrival time. Only ships leaving Galveston and NO at this point in time have to do this right?

That is correct, this only applies to Galveston and New Orleans departures at this time.

So we leave from Miami on Saturday am I correct that this does not apply to us? I have gone back and rechecked my online check-in and it says nothing about choosing a port arrival time. Only ships leaving Galveston and NO at this point in time have to do this right?

We are sailing on Elation on Jan 23. We selected 11-11:30 boarding time. We shall see how this works out, but I expect mayhem at the terminal with people expecting to check in when they show up perhaps not knowing the new boarding policy.

• 2 weeks later...

We just received an email from carnival a few weeks ago about choosing our staggered check in time on the Carnival Dream for a June Sailing out of New Orleans. I swear I read somewhere on the carnival site that they wouldn't let you on the ship until 12:30, even if you chose a check in time before that. I can't find that now. We have 5 cabins in our group and we are all new to staggered check in. We want to check in between 10:30-11, but don't want to have to wait until 12:30 to board. Will it potentially take an hour and half to check in, and if not, will they make you wait until 12:30 to walk on? Does anyone have any insight?

It's possible the 12:30 boarding time is only for the Jan 24th cruise because the Dream is at sea doing a Journey's cruise prior (10+ days) instead of the normal 7 days, with the crew needing more time to prepare for the next cruise. Just a hunch on my part.

If anyone that is scheduled on the Dream AFTER the Jan 24th cruise got an email in regard to a 12:30 boarding time, then my hunch is incorrect.

I am on the Jan 24th cruise and got that email.

I have the same question and despite multiple phone calls to Carnival, I still have not received a clear answer. I am cruising with my sister who has two very young kids and are scheduled for the 10-10:30 am slot, but Carnival had sent me an email in December saying that no one could actually board the ship until 12:30. Does that mean we'll have to wait for over 2 hours with a 2 and 4 year old before we're allowed to board, even though we also booked FTTF?! No one at Carnival seems to know.

I have the same question and despite multiple phone calls to Carnival, I still have not received a clear answer. I am cruising with my sister who has two very young kids and are scheduled for the 10-10:30 am slot, but Carnival had sent me an email in December saying that no one could actually board the ship until 12:30. Does that mean we'll have to wait for over 2 hours with a 2 and 4 year old before we're allowed to board, even though we also booked FTTF?! No one at Carnival seems to know.

I can tell you after 20 Carnival Cruises what I have learned: boarding typically begins first with wedding parties then with platinum and gold then faster to the fun then the first boarding zone starting between 11 and 11:30 a.m. so although your check in time is listed as 10 to 10:30 a.m. you won't actually be allowed to board until closer to 11:30am. You still need to arrive well before 11:30 a.m. to check in. After all you must go through security and then they prepare your sail and sign card. If you are not qualified for priority boarding but have the first staggered check in time of 10 to 10:30 you should be able to get on board fairly promptly after boarding starts. The only way you would get to board sooner is to purchase faster to the fun.

I can tell you after 20 Carnival Cruises what I have learned: boarding typically begins first with wedding parties then with platinum and gold then faster to the fun then the first boarding zone starting between 11 and 11:30 a.m. so although your check in time is listed as 10 to 10:30 a.m. you won't actually be allowed to board until closer to 11:30am. You still need to arrive well before 11:30 a.m. to check in. After all you must go through security and then they prepare your sail and sign card. If you are not qualified for priority boarding but have the first staggered check in time of 10 to 10:30 you should be able to get on board fairly promptly after boarding starts. The only way you would get to board sooner is to purchase faster to the fun.

Actually I do not think that will be of much advantage. I purchased FTTF and have read the threads about the "new" check-in and boarding "feature".

Once the ship is open for boarding the priority boarders and the FTTF boarders will get on first, but they will be immediately followed by the other passengers. One poster said she was first by about 10 minutes.

One can only hope that CCL does start boarding by 11AM or so and not the published 12:30PM. I will not be happy if that is the case, and passengers with children that are left sitting for hours will be even less pleased.

It's possible the 12:30 boarding time is only for the Jan 24th cruise because the Dream is at sea doing a Journey's cruise prior (10+ days) instead of the normal 7 days, with the crew needing more time to prepare for the next cruise. Just a hunch on my part.

If anyone that is scheduled on the Dream AFTER the Jan 24th cruise got an email in regard to a 12:30 boarding time, then my hunch is incorrect.

I am on the Jan 24th cruise and got that email.

I doubt that. The port docking time is still listed as 8AM, as it is every cruise. The turn over time to ready the ship will be the same. If the 12:30PM time is going to be the actual boarding time, I do not see how the new staggered check-in will alleviate terminal crowding.

I am on the same cruise and I expect chaos and unhappy fellow cruisers.