Excursion through Carnival - FYI - be aware

phils127

So before everyone flames me, I am posting this for information only and to make people aware of what I have encountered.

I am booked on the glory for this upcoming Saturday and we are doing the western Caribbean. I purchased and excursion 2 months ago for XPLOR as a surprise for my daughter (12) who loves zip lining and adventure. being this was an all day excursion and we needed a ferry, I booked through the ship to be safe. (price on our own was about 10.00 cheaper per person) but wanted the sense of not being left if a ferry problem in Cozumel.

Exactly a week before we leave I get an email saying my excursion was cancelled and I would be refunded. I immeadietlry called CS to find out what happened and could not get a straight answer. After numerous call and emails, I was told there was and error in the system and some excursions were cancelled in error, and I should just go on and re-book it.

I found the error was intentional as I tried to re-book the excursion it had gone up in price 15.00 per person. When I called to get the old price that was paid for and confirmation, I was told that I would have to book by the new price as the old price is no longer available.

I refused to re-book this and our cruise will still be fantastic. Like the title says, just be aware that if they want to change a price on a excursion they will delete and refund you and make you re-book at the higher price.

Regards,

Edited by phils127
spelling

You can also take advantage of the Shore Excursion Price guarantee. You have to book it through Carnival, if you find the same tour cheaper they will give you 110% of the difference in OBC. I have done this on the last 3 cruises with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few things Phil, it's the same ferry whether you use Carnival or a private tour. #2, so you are going to punish your daughter over $15? You said she really wants to do this tour. Book it on your own, same tour, same ferry, same people.

That's awful. But go ahead and check out competitors for comparable excursions. We also got the 110% guarantee and had money put as OBC for 1 of our excursions. There were 4 of us and we saved enough that one ended up free. If you find cheaper you could book carnivals higher price but get more back.

You should have an email where it has the purchase with original price. I would call back and ask for a supervisor and let them know that, even though it is a small amount (to them, not you) it is unacceptable that they will not honor the original price. I would also state that you did not cancel it, their system generated the cancellation notice to you. Whatever they state - let them know that it is unacceptable. I have had things like this happen before and I just keep stating (not saying anything else but...) "That is unacceptable." Let them know you will only accept booking at the original price.

Just an update - I found a really nice Zip Line and cave tube in Belize that we are doing, and she is really happy with it.

I know about the guarantee and I always book of the boat, as it is cheaper. I was more concerned about missing the last ferry and missing the boat back home that is why I booked through them.

I was more upset that they did this 7 days prior to cruising, thinking I would just re-book and pay the higher amount. They should have called and said the cost for this excursion has increased due to whatever, and asked if I still wanted it to pay the difference. That would be proper customer service.

No worries and everyone is happy.:D

Just an update - I found a really nice Zip Line and cave tube in Belize that we are doing, and she is really happy with it.

I know about the guarantee and I always book of the boat, as it is cheaper. I was more concerned about missing the last ferry and missing the boat back home that is why I booked through them.

I was more upset that they did this 7 days prior to cruising, thinking I would just re-book and pay the higher amount. They should have called and said the cost for this excursion has increased due to whatever, and asked if I still wanted it to pay the difference. That would be proper customer service.

No worries and everyone is happy.:D

Glad you found something! Go have a wonderful cruise and great daughter's birthday!!! And we love Belize, one of our favorite places.

The companies that you see mentioned on here will assure you make the tender. When you said ferry I thought you were talking about Cozumel. In Belize you tender off ship. If you do not have FTTF and excursion is private, just line up early for tender tickets.

So before everyone flames me, I am posting this for information only and to make people aware of what I have encountered.

I am booked on the glory for this upcoming Saturday and we are doing the western Caribbean. I purchased and excursion 2 months ago for XPLOR as a surprise for my daughter (12) who loves zip lining and adventure. being this was an all day excursion and we needed a ferry, I booked through the ship to be safe. (price on our own was about 10.00 cheaper per person) but wanted the sense of not being left if a ferry problem in Cozumel.

Exactly a week before we leave I get an email saying my excursion was cancelled and I would be refunded. I immeadietlry called CS to find out what happened and could not get a straight answer. After numerous call and emails, I was told there was and error in the system and some excursions were cancelled in error, and I should just go on and re-book it.

I found the error was intentional as I tried to re-book the excursion it had gone up in price 15.00 per person. When I called to get the old price that was paid for and confirmation, I was told that I would have to book by the new price as the old price is no longer available.

I refused to re-book this and our cruise will still be fantastic. Like the title says, just be aware that if they want to change a price on a excursion they will delete and refund you and make you re-book at the higher price.

Regards,

It is great that you are keeping the big picture in sight and have a positive attitude. I had a similar thing happen with an excursion for my niece a few cruises back. We didn't re book either. It was still a great cruise, but it definately left a sour taste in my mouth.

Search Google for the Carnival exec team e-mails and make your concerns known to them. A business has every right to change terms to make extra money, but it doesn't make it right. Carnival values it's reputation so I'm sure if you contact the right people they'll make it right. You may not need the excursion anymore but Carnival will normally find other ways to compensate you for the inconvenience.

Good luck!

Yeah that was pretty sneaky on Carnival's part. Whether the excursion had been cancelled intentionally or not, they should have allowed you to rebook at the original price.

I see you have to watch excursion prices constantly. I booked a cabana in Amber Cove the day they became available. About a month later, Carnival lowered the price of each cabana type by $75. If I wasn't anal and just poke around the site almost daily, I never would have noticed and Carnival clearly had no intention on saying a word. I got my price adjustment after first being told to take it up with the excursions desk IF the price was still lower when I boarded. Ummm, no what you gonna do is adjust the price now. They did.

Glad it worked out for you OP. Hope your daughter enjoys the adventure!

Regards,

Intentional, how did you determine that?

Intentional, how did you determine that?

I'd say if they didn't honor the price that she had already paid that it sounds pretty darn intentional to me! If it had been unintentional they would have honored the price that she had already purchased the tour at rather than refunding her.

I'd say if they didn't honor the price that she had already paid that it sounds pretty darn intentional to me! If it had been unintentional they would have honored the price that she had already purchased the tour at rather than refunding her.

So you are assuming it was intentional?

So you are assuming it was intentional?

The OP said it was intentional based on the way the whole thing happened. But I don't see how that matters whether it was or not. Once the OP was able to go back in and rebook an excursion that Carnival cancelled, the original price should have been honored. That it wasn't is 100% wrong on Carnival's part.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Regards,

Sounds to me you had some bad luck and got yourself an idiot. :rolleyes:

Call back.

I checked mine after seeing your thread and realized was in the same boat... So I called, loaded for bear... but no need, they did not even bat an eye.

I just received this now:

Done.

Please know the refunds have been processed through our system and should show on your account within 5-7 business days, depending on your financial institution.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise,

Best Regards,

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Lines

You're missing the point....they didn't want a refund...they wanted the tour at the original quoted price.

Correct. I got the refund - no issue. The issue was refunding me and making me re-book at a higher cost. Learned my lesson, recovered like a champ to my daughter and plan to enjoy our cruise in 4 days.

thank you all for the comments and thoughts.

The OP said it was intentional based on the way the whole thing happened. But I don't see how that matters whether it was or not. Once the OP was able to go back in and rebook an excursion that Carnival cancelled, the original price should have been honored. That it wasn't is 100% wrong on Carnival's part.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Not disagreeing that it was wrong on Carnival's part; just want to know how it was determined to be intentional. Nothing that has been said yet is more than making an assumption.