1st time cruiser - addicted now - ask me anthing

teebird150

We recently came home from our first cruise and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the sea days. There's something totally hedonistic about it, heading to a breakfast someone else has prepared, being slothful around a pool while someone brings you cocktails, you know the drill! And that's coming from someone who normally suffers from itchy feet.

Also hooked, had a wonderful FIRST cruise - Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale 2015, and so enjoyed the Panama Canal transit. Sea days were great, never enough time in ports to do them justice, which is a shame.

Have just booked 55 days Part World Cruise - Osaka to Ft Lauderdale on MS Amsterdam 2017. This is my going to be my retirement cruise - solo!!

Huge expense due to currency exchange against the US $ but hey what an experience it will be.

recently returned from my first ever cruise and now I'm addicted to it. i know i was overwhelmed when planning and the unknown so feel free to ask me anything. :)

Cruise: Carnival Victory, West Caribbean.

We are going on my first cruise on the Victory next month!!!! I can't wait!! I know I will be addicted as well.

• 4 weeks later...
Ocho Rios Jamaica and Grand Carmen Is. but it was actually the Sea Days i loved. did not expect that going in :)

Interesting, seems to be a common misconception among cruising newbies, who understandably want to cram in as many ports of call as possible.

Veterans understand that the quality of ports of call is more important than the quantity, and that sea days are an awesome and much needed break in between ports, where you can truly lounge around and enjoy the stupid amount of amenities and activities a modern cruise ship offers. As well as stay up late the night beofre, and sleep in, since you know you don't have to be in the lineup for the tender at 0700.

That, and being able to just watch the sea go by. It can put you in a trance, and you begin to understand why many people prefer to work and live at sea rather than on dry land.

Edited by Dunnik

...Veterans understand that the quality of ports of call is more important than the quantity, and that sea days are an awesome and much needed break in between ports...

...That, and being able to just watch the sea go by. It can put you in a trance...

Exactly right. Initially, when we started cruising back in the 1980's, we felt almost obligated to do something in each and every port. Then we took a 7 day cruise in the early 90's on the earlier version of the Star Princess which had 6 ports in 7 days. We discovered how much we preferred quiet time on the ship rather than trying to find something about a port that we had any interest in.

Interesting, seems to be a common misconception among cruising newbies, who understandably want to cram in as many ports of call as possible.

Veterans understand that the quality of ports of call is more important than the quantity, and that sea days are an awesome and much needed break in between ports, where you can truly lounge around and enjoy the stupid amount of amenities and activities a modern cruise ship offers. As well as stay up late the night beofre, and sleep in, since you know you don't have to be in the lineup for the tender at 0700.

That, and being able to just watch the sea go by. It can put you in a trance, and you begin to understand why many people prefer to work and live at sea rather than on dry land.

Exactly. I've only been on one cruise so far but some of the ports were disappointing. I loved the sea days though.

Also hooked, had a wonderful FIRST cruise - Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale 2015, and so enjoyed the Panama Canal transit. Sea days were great, never enough time in ports to do them justice, which is a shame.

Have just booked 55 days Part World Cruise - Osaka to Ft Lauderdale on MS Amsterdam 2017. This is my going to be my retirement cruise - solo!!

Huge expense due to currency exchange against the US $ but hey what an experience it will be.

Congrats on a wonderful retirement cruise! I love cruising solo, so I am a bit jealous. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

No cash onboard, everything goes on your card the cruiseline will issue you when you board. Use a credit card onshore and carry $40 just in case. Going ashore carry 1 picture ID and the ship card.

Do sheep shrink in the rain?

Edited by WupperAV

THis is for OP and any other experienced cruisers. We have a balcony cabin on Oasis of the Seas, deck 11. For Sailaway, would the cabin balcony be better, or should we experience the ambience of a group somewhere on the ship. If that is the case, where is a good place on the ship to be with people, but not a huge crowd?

I saw it from the back of the ship to middle at the top and my balcony as well then went to dinner , liked all spots but I think I liked the back over looking a pool and the wake of the ship

Edited by Hawka

Congrats on completing your first cruise! I still remember the adrenaline rush of embarkation day. Heck, I STILL get that adrenaline rush! Cruising is one of the BEST vacations out there. I love getting out onto the ocean and just standing at the rail looking out over the vast expanse of water with no other ships in sight. I love the rocking to sleep at night. I hope you have started researching your NEXT cruise! Because the next best thing to cruising is planning that next cruise!

recently returned from my first ever cruise and now I'm addicted to it. i know i was overwhelmed when planning and the unknown so feel free to ask me anything. :)

Cruise: Carnival Victory, West Caribbean.

Hey there! First time cruising for us. Carnival, Glory.

Wondering about an average price for a soda/juice drink for the kids

Our kids don't consume soda on a daily basis (pretty much never), so we are curious if we bought them a drink or 2 a day is it more cost effective to buy the package of $5 a day or buy the drinks individually when they want them?

Thanks!

Hey there! First time cruising for us. Carnival, Glory.

Wondering about an average price for a soda/juice drink for the kids

Our kids don't consume soda on a daily basis (pretty much never), so we are curious if we bought them a drink or 2 a day is it more cost effective to buy the package of $5 a day or buy the drinks individually when they want them?

Thanks!

That is a tough question. My experience with my twin boys was the drink pass was the bargain of the cruise! I didn't have to worry about what they were doing and gave them free reign on board. Did they drink too much pop? Probably! But, we were on vacation, so who cares! They were 12 at the time.

We now have senior cruise booked for them and they will even have their own cabin. What a vacation it's going to be for us!

PAGGS