Carnival to Roll Out For-Fee Room Service Fleetwide

LauraS

Unless you have inside information no one can say with any certainty whether it will or won't happen. I agree with the other poster that this is probably the lead into what will be a charge for all room service. They test it out on a few items to see how receptive people are and then roll it out to everything. It's less of a change and less likely to get complaints if they do it little by little.

I don't see it as a good or a bad thing. How many people order room service and waste the food? Having to pay for it probably cuts down on waste. But I do find it amusing that not that long ago people here were bashing royal for charging a small fee for room service from 12am to 5 am. How it was looked at as nickel and diming and now that carnival is doing something similar it is no longer a bad thing. Lol.

Your right nobody knows for sure and you are correct again you can think anything you like. From there, we pretty much disagree. Your logic of doing it slowly and that will be more easily accepted has so many holes it I cannot find a place to start. Oops, we kind of agree on another point, Royal is he king of nickel and diming and had been doing it much longer than anyone else. I would be happy to debate that one with you. For the record Carnival does not charge a fee for their standard room service no matter what time of day it is. They charge for new and enhanced things, which you can either do or not do.

I'll buy it gladly if I so choose. And I'm sure at some point in our upcoming cruises we will.

Many food items we enjoy remain free of charge on the room service menu. So we will undoubtedly order both the free and for- fee items. Sorry you're unhappy with the change. I don't like every change either - like being kicked out of the past guest party. Lol. But I still very much enjoy Carnival. I could see if the entire menu went to fee based but it's not. They may get to that point but at least they aren't going from 0-60 with it all at once like other lines have done.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Amen! I do not mind paying $3+ for coconut shrimp, sliders & fried cod in Red Frog Pub. Been that way long time. Tom

Your right nobody knows for sure and you are correct again you can think anything you like. From there, we pretty much disagree. Your logic of doing it slowly and that will be more easily accepted has so many holes it I cannot find a place to start. Oops, we kind of agree on another point, Royal is he king of nickel and diming and had been doing it much longer than anyone else. I would be happy to debate that one with you. For the record Carnival does not charge a fee for their standard room service no matter what time of day it is. They charge for new and enhanced things, which you can either do or not do.

Look how many people here are saying it's ok because there are still some free items or they arent items they would want. And when it rolls out to all room service people will say well they already have for fee items so no biggie. Done in small steps it is less impactful.

And to say Royal is the king of nickel and diming just shows how biased you are. ALL the cruise lines have the exact same free options and ALL the cruise lines have for fee additional options.

Why some feel the need to justify their choices by bashing others is beyond me. One line is not better then another. It's all personal preference.

Edited by BeachChik

Why would it be easier to slowly implement. Just do it (charging for everything which is what I assume you think they will do). That way they get more revenue sooner. On the other hand my logic to tells me this is for enhanced items which makes sense (to me anyway) and keep the rest (existing) as it has always been.

Carnival is close to the last to adopt any for fee room service. Same could be said for maintaining a true MDR experience. I could list a lot of other things along this line. That was the basis of my question, I would say it be a very low probability of happening.

On Holland America and Royal Caribbean (with the exception of it's new mega ship) the true MDR experience is alive and well. They both have "your time" of some sort available as CCL does but fixed dining is still happening. Last time we sailed them, there was no fee for room service.

On HAL's room service you could order hot breakfast and for dinner you could order items off the DR menu for that night.... included in the cruise fare.

Edited by summersigh

On Holland America and Royal Caribbean (with the exception of it's new mega ship) the true MDR experience is alive and well. They both have "your time" of some sort available as CCL does but fixed dining is still happening. Last time we sailed them, there was no fee for room service.

On HAL's room service you could order hot breakfast and for dinner you could order items off the DR menu for that night.... included in the cruise fare.

how about quantum class?

The point is that royal (with the new class of ship and NCL are driving people to spend more money on food for what sued to included in fare. HAL, which is part of Carnival it is alive and well, just like it is on Carnival, again, maintaining the MDR experience.

how about quantum class?

Most of the dining on RCCL's quantum class is a type of your time dining ... BUT ... it must not have totally worked for the financial bottom line (meaning they were losing a good sized demographic that cruises often).

I copied and pasted the following from the RCCL web site:

Dynamic Dining Classic is a new option for guests who prefer the traditional main dining style. Classic accommodates diners in a choice of early or late seating, assigning guests to a preset lineup of our complimentary main restaurants. Guests get the traditional experience of the same dining time each night, with the same wait staff and dining companions throughout the cruise.

Most of the dining on RCCL's quantum class is a type of your time dining ... BUT ... it must not have totally worked for the financial bottom line (meaning they were losing a good sized demographic that cruises often).

I copied and pasted the following from the RCCL web site:

Dynamic Dining Classic is a new option for guests who prefer the traditional main dining style. Classic accommodates diners in a choice of early or late seating, assigning guests to a preset lineup of our complimentary main restaurants. Guests get the traditional experience of the same dining time each night, with the same wait staff and dining companions throughout the cruise.

Thanks having read reviews of how it started, I would estimate they will be redoing it. The complimentary restaurants would not be considered adequate to me. It is not a bottom line issue more of a the guests hated it.

They had plans to roll it out to the newer ships and that was put on hold indefinitely. I truly consider this a nickel and dime strategy. Add to that when you are on theses ships and order a pina colada it costs $14 bucks. What a ripoff.

They had plans to roll it out to the newer ships and that was put on hold indefinitely. I truly consider this a nickel and dime strategy. Add to that when you are on theses ships and order a pina colada it costs $14 bucks. What a ripoff.

I just got off a ship and I'm curious where these $14 pina coladas are.

The complimentary restaurants would not be considered adequate to me.

We're the type that think the complimentary restaurants are fine and never seem to leave the table hungry :) No mainstream cruise line has "fixed seating" for the pay restaurants so I'm not sure what you mean in your comment here since we're talking about options for comp dining facilities.

It is not a bottom line issue more of a the guests hated it.

It is a bottom line issue in my estimation since passengers who hate something about a cruise line don't book that cruise line anymore - taking their $$$ with them.

Can't be considered that much of a rip-off or nickel-and-diming strategy if you consistently keep giving them your money.

I'll never quite understand those critical of every aspect of a particular cruise line but continue sailing with them. It puts the complainer's viewpoint into a crystal clear perspective.

If I were that dissatisfied I would take my business elsewhere.

Can't be considered that much of a rip-off or nickel-and-diming strategy if you consistently keep giving them your money.

I'll never quite understand those critical of every aspect of a particular cruise line but continue sailing with them. It puts the complainer's viewpoint into a crystal clear perspective.

I think there's some confusion with this post in relation to the post you quoted. Or maybe I'm confused. Lol.

I did, this is a carnival thread right? Check out my past cruises at the bottom off my posts. Lastly, it sure is nickel and diming. How does charging 3.95 for "fresh squeezed " orange juice be considered anything else. 3.50 for a tiny bag of popcorn, charging a la carte for Johnny Rockets be considered anything else than that?

I did, this is a carnival thread right? Check out my past cruises at the bottom off my posts. Lastly, it sure is nickel and diming. How does charging 3.95 for "fresh squeezed " orange juice be considered anything else. 3.50 for a tiny bag of popcorn, charging a la carte for Johnny Rockets be considered anything else than that?

But charging for additional room service items isn't nickel and diming? Or charging people so they can be at the front of the line with fttf? Ok

As I said all the cruise lines offer the same free items some just offer more for fee options. Why that is so offensive I don't know. You can get free oj and a free burger on Royal.

You feel the need to constantly critique rc to justify your choice to sail carnival. It's quite amusing.

But charging for additional room service items isn't nickel and diming? Or charging people so they can be at the front of the line with fttf? Ok

As I said all the cruise lines offer the same free items some just offer more for fee options. Why that is so offensive I don't know. You can get free oj and a free burger on Royal.

You feel the need to constantly critique rc to justify your choice to sail carnival. It's quite amusing.

Just comparing from my point of view. Those were listed as examples of nickel and dime. While it is true, you will not find pay for on on Carnival or for guys burgers. Don't compare that to the pile of burgers that were cooked yesterday at windjammer. Guys is comparable to Jr. Carnival is free rccl charges (and to make it worse, they went from a "seat charge" whatever the heck that is) to a la carte cost. You can like it or or not or sail them or not. Fttf is an option, which they, offer for free to their "loyal" clients and a fee for others. All of the things I mention are facts of differences to me and why I sail Carnival much more so than Royal, although I have tried them. Your opinion of what you prefer may differ.

Lastly, one more time, offering the standard items on room service (which they do not charge a fee for after midnight I might add) has not changed. Offering enhanced food options for a fee is more, hence the charge to include it but not be the only offering, so no, I don't think it to be nickel and dimming. My preference for who I sail on or commenting on may be humorous to you which is fine. I might have gotten lost tho...... Am I on a royal board bashing them?

I think there's some confusion with this post in relation to the post you quoted. Or maybe I'm confused. Lol.

I thought I got lost as well. Sometimes head scratching or it might be a full moon.....

I thought the same thing, sad they do this, felt sort of cheap and looking for the pennies on the floor type of selling...........