Why is your suitcase so heavy my Dear ?

6666oz

My Missus costs me a fortune in excess baggage fees, when we travel we have an agreement that she can take anything she wants BUT she has to carry or drag her own bags , I've seen some ridiculous packing lists suggested in forums, but I try to travel light, on our last cruise I think I discovered the answer to why her suitcase is so heavy, can anybody pick it ? :D

hers9.jpg.a58def6f45b06032db138948d41a8676.jpg

mine2.jpg.e74d9a848f215b3171baa7603af10f66.jpg

I admit to having a slightly heavier case than hubby but I certainly handle my own bag as well - I like a variety of options when it comes to clothing.

But shoes for men are often quite heavy I find - I can get in 3 pairs of sandal/evening type shoes for one pair of his loafers/dress shoes weight & space wise!

Womens clothing though like long evening dresses especially can have a lot more fabric in them than a pair of trousers & shirt for example, so this can increase the weight.

Plus we drive up to Sydney to cruise, so no airport baggage weight issues to consider, as long as I can get my bag on/off the train to circular quay from where we park at the domestic airport & down to the dock it's all good! :D

We just did a 12 night cruise with 1 night in Sydney and 3 in NZ, my case weighed 13kg and DH's 17kg, but we split out clothes over the 2 and he gets the medication case in his lol. I packed 3 pairs of shoes, runners, black ballet flats and flip flops, it's all I ever need :)

We just did a 12 night cruise with 1 night in Sydney and 3 in NZ, my case weighed 13kg and DH's 17kg, but we split out clothes over the 2 and he gets the medication case in his lol. I packed 3 pairs of shoes, runners, black ballet flats and flip flops, it's all I ever need :)

My wife and I can travel for 6 or 7 weeks that include touring and cruising with 13kgs each (case included) and 5 kgs carry on each. That includes things like the tux and her formal wear with various shoes and such. It is not that hard to keep under weight restrictions for the airlines but it does take some thought about packing and coordination of clothing (tops, etc).:D

You are well organised Mic, and we are working on getting better at it ;)

We have a dear friend that is doing a 3 night sampler soon. Said to her - "well you should be right with a carry on." She looked at me horrified! "I am taking my big suitcase and my carry on." Oh dear. We have nicknamed her "Princess" in the past.

We each have our own priorities, but I must say that ANY items of clothing I purchase these days is looked at with the gauge of how good it will be in a suitcase, what cruise clothing it matches with, and how easy it might be to wash on board :)

Edited by goodycruising

You are well organised Mic, and we are working on getting better at it ;)

We have a dear friend that is doing a 3 night sampler soon. Said to her - "well you should be right with a carry on." She looked at me horrified! "I am taking my big suitcase and my carry on." Oh dear. We have nicknamed her "Princess" in the past.

We each have our own priorities, but I must say that ANY items of clothing I purchase these days is looked at with the gauge of how good it will be in a suitcase, what cruise clothing it matches with, and how easy it might be to wash on board :)

Yes, I think quick dry and iron free makes a great clothing attributes. I tend to buy a lot of clothes that fit into these categories.:D

For the sampler that we are doing it will be carry on.:D

Yes, I think quick dry and iron free makes a great clothing attributes. I tend to buy a lot of clothes that fit into these categories.:D

For the sampler that we are doing it will be carry on.:D

Unfortunately as we cruise more over the last few years, I need to cut your wording to "buy clothes that fit" :) Haha, you are on the same sampler as our friend. She will be (maybe) the only one dragging a big case behind her, and a carry on :) She will look fantastic in the MDR however. She loaned me some tops on our second cruise and I felt like a princess then.

I think my hubby has the shoe fetish.....he has to take his brown RM Williams boots to go with jeans and his black to go formal :rolleyes: They weigh a ton, so this next cruise I have packed our shoes in a small hard case wheelie as carry on and everything else in two medium hard cases, just weighed them at 15kgs each:D thats for a 13 night cruise.

I am loving our new hard cases, and Eagle creek packing cubes, even scaled down the toiletry bag.

We have learned to travel lighter these days, but find it easier on Princess for the longer cruises as we can wash and iron when needed......Royal it's wash in the basin and drip dry:p

Chez

Oh dear I can't travel light... I've tried and tried, culled, culled and then culled again and still have a pretty loaded suitcase. Maybe there would be a business opportunity for someone to organise packing for cruisers!! My last trip was 24 nights in the Med, and only took one suitcase, but ended up buying another on the return journey...yep hate to say it I am out of control, I wonder if there is a self help group for over packers!!!:D

Oh dear I can't travel light... I've tried and tried, culled, culled and then culled again and still have a pretty loaded suitcase. Maybe there would be a business opportunity for someone to organise packing for cruisers!! My last trip was 24 nights in the Med, and only took one suitcase, but ended up buying another on the return journey...yep hate to say it I am out of control, I wonder if there is a self help group for over packers!!!:D

Google is your friend:p

I have learnt a lot about packing light, it's amazing what people can get into a carry on:eek:

Chez

Unfortunately as we cruise more over the last few years, I need to cut your wording to "buy clothes that fit" :) Haha, you are on the same sampler as our friend. She will be (maybe) the only one dragging a big case behind her, and a carry on :) She will look fantastic in the MDR however. She loaned me some tops on our second cruise and I felt like a princess then.

I will look out for the well dressed lady with the whopper bag.:D

Google is your friend:p

I have learnt a lot about packing light, it's amazing what people can get into a carry on:eek:

Chez

Yes, I have learnt many a good technique for packing. I also wear my heaviest clothes (jacket, jeans and shoes) when travelling so that my case is lighter.:D

Yes, I have learnt many a good technique for packing. I also wear my heaviest clothes (jacket, jeans and shoes) when travelling so that my case is lighter.:D

Hubby is wearing his jeans and boots for the flight, when we get to the hotel it is shorts and t shirt!!....luckily the weather is cooling down this week:p

All jokes aside we learned about frugal packing in our younger days. We used to do all our touring on a BMW motorbike, and all we could carry was what fitted in the pannier bags and rear box.

Our best trip was Central Coast NSW, Adelaide, Esperance, Albany, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Whyalla, Broken Hill, and Home. 10,500Km in 24 days.

All jokes aside we learned about frugal packing in our younger days. We used to do all our touring on a BMW motorbike, and all we could carry was what fitted in the pannier bags and rear box.

Our best trip was Central Coast NSW, Adelaide, Esperance, Albany, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Whyalla, Broken Hill, and Home. 10,500Km in 24 days.

That is some road trip.:D