Celebrity Summit Cabin Selection/Motion

IrieMRP

Hello fellow cruisers! I have a few questions regarding cabin selection on the Celebrity Summit, and was hoping a few of you seasoned cruisers would be able to chime in! :)

1) We have booked a Southern Caribbean cruise next year on the Summit in cabin 7166. I had a hard time finding many reviews, or pictures for this specific cabin when searching the forums. As far as I can tell, it has a slightly larger angled balcony. I know that none of the balconies rival the extended 1-A's on the Solstice class, but we were hoping for a wee bit of extra space. I did find a video of this same room (pre-solsticization) on the Infinity, so I am assuming it would be identical in layout/size? Has anyone stayed in this room recently or have any pictures/thoughts?

2) I know that no one can predict the ocean conditions, but I was wondering if this is potentially too far aft for someone who experiences a bit of motion sickness. A bit of backstory: We took our first cruise ever earlier this year on the Silhouette, and had a midship cabin on the hump angle on deck 7. Since it was our first cruise, I don't have anything to compare it to, but I did experience some symptoms on our last sea day (in the Florida Straits headed back to FLL). I will mention that we had a medical emergency onboard, so we were headed back at full speed. The captain also advised ladies to refrain from wearing heels on our final night. I am hoping that these circumstances were a bit out of the norm! I am also hoping that the calmer waters of the southern Caribbean will help alleviate fact that the summit is a much smaller ship. Does anyone who also experiences motion sickness have any experience with the Summit? How was the ride?

Thank you in advance for any advice!:):

The cabins are exactly the same from one M class ship to another (within a couple inches).

It certainly seems you had a cruise with some issues. If going full speed the stabilizers can not be used and obviously going another 5 knots makes for a rougher ride. Certainly worth it for the sick passenger.

Motion is very simple. The further forward or aft the more motion. Aft also creates some minimum of vibration from the props - especially at full speed. Also the lower the deck the less side to side movement.

Best on whatever you decide. Personally I have never experienced what I would call a rough ride on any of 9 M class cruises and did have some weather in Antarctica. Ride is similar to S class ships as they are close in size being only about 10% shorter and 5% narrower.

Thank you az tchr! I am glad to hear you felt the ride was similar to the S class ships, for some reason I had it in my head that the smaller gross tonnage would play a big difference in the ride. We played it safe on our first cruise with a low midship cabin, so I am hoping moving a bit towards the aft will work out! One day I would love to try an aft facing room! Like you noted, the increased speed surely contributed to the rocky conditions, but it was certainly necessary in a medical emergency.

Keep in mind that the fulcrum of the ship is not the center point, as there is more weight aft (from the engines). Therefore the cabins with the least motion will be slightly aft of center. Your cabin isn't all that far from the fulcrum, so it should be fine. You're also fairly low down on the ship, which will also minimize the motion of the ocean. It looks like a great cabin to me!

I was on the same cruise as tangerinebunny. It was my 3rd cruise on the Summit among other cruises on the rest of the M class fleet. She correctly pointed out several important factors. The distance between ports can be very minimal depending on the itinerary. The Summit did two different itineraries this year and I presume will do so again next year. Both are along the Caribbean/Atlantic ridge. You will not sail in the Florida straits/Gulf of Mexico which can exhibit more movement. The only time we sailed at medium speed was to Barbados at a height of 15 knots for a portion of the sailing. We have sailed before at full tilt which I imagine you were doing to compensate for the medical emergency. That would be about 22 knots or so. Several of our evening sails were at 6 knots and the ship seemed to be sitting still.

We generally sail in cabins aft of the mid-ships elevators. BTW the M class ships have three elevator/stairs banks which you should enjoy. Your cabin is well placed and unless there is some unusual weather you won't notice either vertical or lateral movement.

Hope you have a great Roll Call to help you plan your cruise.

We did an aft view room Southern Caribbean on the Summit and felt no motion at all and I am not the best cruiser! We also some years ago did a B2B Caribbean on the Millie out of Miami in an aft cabin and again no problem. If you can be brave enough to try we found aft views amazing, so much so we have two future aft view rooms booked.

Thank you Host Jazzbeau, Alcpa1, and chemmo for your helpful comments! I am now feeling confident that our cabin will work out just fine :)

Host Jazzbeau- Thank you for the information regarding the fulcrum! I still have a lot to learn regarding ships, but this information was very helpful! I know I will probably never be able to book a forward room, but I am feeling confident about moving towards the aft a bit!

Alcpa1- Thank you for including the information regarding the ship speed. You are correct, we were cruising around 22 knots to get back to FLL in a hurry. We are on the Barbados-St. Lucia-Antigua-St Maarten-St Thomas route, so looks like we will max out around 15 knots on the way to Barbados just like you mentioned!

Chemmo- Glad to hear from someone who also isn't the best cruiser! I have high hopes for this trip, and hope it goes well enough to give me the confidence to one day book an aft facing room! I think the views alone might help me overcome any motion worries :D