MSC Difference

duegwb

We would really like to try MSC, but the air prices to MIA or FLL are ridiculous from Nashville or Knoxville.

Any suggestions?

Is driving out of the question? Only reason I ask is because we've made that drive from Tampa to Nashville twice with no problems.:) With two toddlers in tow!

Edited by bdonovan17

We would really like to try MSC, but the air prices to MIA or FLL are ridiculous from Nashville or Knoxville.

Any suggestions?

Totally understand, try flying from Canada. I always do what other posters have mentioned. I book my cruise and immediately check flights, typically will be $700-950USD, will be checking everywhere I can and i know my price point is typically $400-550USD.

With the price savings in trying an MSC cruise I am ok with maybe spending a little extra on airfare

Have you tried Allegiant Air from Knoxville to Ft. Lauderdale? They are usually pretty cheap flights.

This. Allegiant is spotty in that they don't fly everyday, but check them out and see if it works for you. We have used them many times for cruises with good results and they have great rates.

Oh and it's a minor thing but really did get on my nerves - always signing for drinks, even if the total was $0. One of the perks to a drink package for me on Celebrity was not having to deal with the paper.

I'm guessing there are two main reasons for signing ...

1) Provide the guest with the opportunity to leave an additional gratuity

2) Quality Control ... to make sure a bar tender is not scanning your card to give another guest a drink on your package

Edited by SDLong329

We just got off the Divina a week ago, out of Miami. Lots of announcements were in 5 languages, most of them were just in English. ...

I read that "safety" announcements are made in multiple languages ... could that have been the case?

The food was very good, in the dining room there was escargot, lobster, steak, several fish dishes - and pasta too. ...

Does the menu change nightly? We sailed Royal Caribbean in 2014 ... disappointed to see the appetizer, soup and salad menu did not change for the entire week. Interestingly enough, just because there was something on the menu did not mean it was available. At dinner on embarkation day, I selected escargot - only to be told it was not available and that there was "none on the ship." Within 48 hours, escargot suddenly became available - without the ship having to take on provisions.

The desert choices on the buffet were actually better than in the main dining room, but all tasted delicious.

More choices, better tasting, or both? Were any of the Main Dining Room desserts also served at the evening buffet?

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Try flying to MCO / Orlando ... then rent a car ... especially if you are flying in the day before, or want to check out a bit of Miami. The prices to MCO are almost always lower, and there are far more flights available.

Does the menu change nightly? We sailed Royal Caribbean in 2014 ... disappointed to see the appetizer, soup and salad menu did not change for the entire week. Interestingly enough, just because there was something on the menu did not mean it was available. At dinner on embarkation day, I selected escargot - only to be told it was not available and that there was "none on the ship." Within 48 hours, escargot suddenly became available - without the ship having to take on provisions.

More choices, better tasting, or both? Were any of the Main Dining Room desserts also served at the evening buffet?

The menu does rotate nightly in the dining room and buffet. Sometimes the MDR entrees were in the buffet, but never the desserts.

As for RCL, they have both a nightly menu and an "always available" menu; it sounds like your waiter dropped the ball.

The menu does rotate nightly in the dining room and buffet. Sometimes the MDR entrees were in the buffet, but never the desserts.

As for RCL, they have both a nightly menu and an "always available" menu; it sounds like your waiter dropped the ball.

If I remember correctly, the left side of the menu was the appetizers, soups and salad ... that page never changed. The right side included the entree's ... which did change daily. I guess it's possible the server goofed ... but I would have expected him to figure it out at some point during the cruise.

I sailed on the Divina Dec 5. Then I cruised Celebrity Constellation on December 12th. I preferred Celebrity - but differences were not big. Divina had the Connie beat with entertainment. Big Time!

The biggest negatives for me on the Divina . . . the buffet was extremely chaotic!!! . . . many many chair hogs everywhere! . . . . breakfast menu was VERY limited . . . . dinner was fine but often lukewarm.

It's a beautiful ship. I do think the benefits & goodies for being a Black Card are kind of silly/lame/ ? I had 2nd dinner. So I wasn't through until after 10 - 10:30pm. A bottle of bubbly delivered in ice along with chocolate covered strawberries. But at 11pm? Next morning, they took away the ice bucket for my bubbly? I did squeeze it in frig, and then shared at my dinner table the next 2 nights. No place to put the strawberries! And I was full from dinner.

Second to the last night - a chocolate ship delivered once again late - after dinner. It was on a plate - I chipped it off and stuck it in a baggie.

On Celebrity - cocktail hour and snacks before dinner!!!!! Much better!

I also used the free laundry. (30 pieces!)

Pool Butlers on Celebrity were actually removing towels from chairs! Sweet!

Divina just seemed too crowded! (and more grouchy and pushy people) No issues with waiters, guest services, cabin attendants, etc.

Divina embarkation - terrible. Celebrity embarkation - the best I've ever experienced.

Both had fine debarkation . . . . .

I wish flights were priced better! I flew in Miami, and left via Fort Lauderdale.

Edited by crilski

To complete the whole picture, perhaps you may also want to compare MSC cruise price to Celebrity. Are they close?

I can only answer for my cruise, and I know I'm not the one you were asking, but we paid more per day for an MSC Grand Voyage in an aurea balcony, than a Celebrity repositioning in a Concierge Class balcony w/ drink package, so fairly apples to apples.

From what I heard on board, to non-Americans the price gap is significant between the cruise lines. But to us MSC was more.

To complete the whole picture . . . . . . .

I sailed solo.

MSC: I paid $628.81 for an inside and $50 OBC.

Celebrity: I paid $922.34 for a balcony and $350 OBC. ($300 from Celebrity)

My first MSC cabin was horrible, and guest services worked with me in a good way to move me to a better interior. Quiet and larger.

Edited by crilski

Drive the 4 hours to Atlanta and fly- MUCH cheaper prices! (Especially on spirit if you don't mind flying with them)

I live in Atlanta and I am very blessed its a max of 7 to 9 hr to drive to any port in FL. So I always drive and never fly.

I can only answer for my cruise, and I know I'm not the one you were asking, but we paid more per day for an MSC Grand Voyage in an aurea balcony, than a Celebrity repositioning in a Concierge Class balcony w/ drink package, so fairly apples to apples.

From what I heard on board, to non-Americans the price gap is significant between the cruise lines. But to us MSC was more.

I do not see that as apples to apples! Repositioning cruises are not priced the same ... and Aurea Class is not Concierge. MSC Divina is listed as a 4-star ship, while Constellation is listed as 5-star. I'd think comparing Yacht Club to Concierge on a similar cruise would be better - and no more than a 1/2 star difference in rating.

What made me consider MSC was their expansion into the Caribbean market (4 new ships, $5,300,000,000) and Ocean Cay. The MSC Seaside is supposed to replace the Divina in late 2017. I believe the Seaside will be an entirely new playing field for MSC. What cinched the deal was their willingness and ability to match my loyalty perks on another cruise line. Let's face it ... we get into a rhythm and are sometimes afraid to change ... especially if we have to start from the bottom again.

Edited by SDLong329