Private tours for "active" cruisers

karli_ratte

Hello,

My partner and I (38/39 years old) will be cruising Hawaii in Sept. 2016 with celebrity. we've cruised 6 times before, mainly taking ship tours, because we like to play it safe. We prefer tours labeled as "strenuous" and, while we are the lazy types on the ship, we want to get out, see stuff and don't mind some active walking, sportive activities during our excursions. Also, those strenuous tours tend to have smaller groups, which we like.

Unfortunately, those tours we choose tend to get cancelled very regularly due to lack of interest in them (it happened to us so far at least once, if not twice per cruise).

I have found quite a few suggestions for private tours on this board, but I have a hard time judging the level of activity and was hoping some of you could direct me towards more active tours. We really want to make the most of this trip, see as much of Hawaii's nature and the islands etc as possible.

We don't mind hiking, getting wet etc. it's a once in a life time trip and we don't want to spend more time on buses than actually seeing things...

Any suggestions are welcome. Our ports of call are Kailua Kona, Hilo, Lahaina overnight (jippie!!) and then Honolulu, where we'll spend an extra 4 nights (not necessarily in Honolulu, but Oahu).

Thank you very much in advance!

Unless you look private, you aren't really going to find good tours that fit your ideas with a cruise ship excursion.

I would suggest you, rent a car and make your own plans. Bonus of this is also your own time.

There are multiple hiking areas to consider, Waimai Canyon is a possibility, Volcanoes National Park?

There are excellent guide books available, start with the Revealed books, one for each island. Try your library. Finding out what each island is about and known for, goes a long way in you, narrowing down your interests and getting a good plan for YOUR priorities.

Hello,

Any suggestions are welcome. Our ports of call are Kailua Kona, Hilo, Lahaina overnight (jippie!!) and then Honolulu, where we'll spend an extra 4 nights (not necessarily in Honolulu, but Oahu).

I find Maui loaded with touring opportunities and find Oahu less so. A suggestion would be to exit the ship in Maui, stay another night then fly to Oahu. :)

Get a guidebook, decide what you want to do..then go do it! Hawaii is very easy to get around on your own....do you NEED a guide??? As long as your watch is set to ship's time (which should be local time, too), you are really in no danger of missing the ship!

From Maui, we took a catamaran to the island of Lanai for snorkeling, a beautiful lunch on the beach on linen with silverware, and a tour of Lanai.....then a sail back to Maui late afternoon....we saw whales on the trip over. The catamaran provided coffee and DELICIOUS homemade cinnamon rolls on the trip to the snorkel location. (I found the water too rough to snorkel, but sunned on the beach instead of fighting the waves snorkeling!) It was a most memorable day!

I can't remember the name of the company, but there you should be able to find a similar description if you search. This was a land vacation...not a cruise excursion, tho.

Edited by cb at sea

Dear all,

Thanks for your quick replies. Yes, private is the way we want to go on this cruise :-)

I think I'm slightly overwhelmed with all the info available, but I'll definitely take your suggestions into account. Must do's are anything to do with the volcanoes (hiking, a guide might be good for that to get close and stay safe. Helicopter ride...).

Yes. I'd rather end the cruise somewhere else than Oahu, from what I've heard, but I'm not sure on leaving the ship early (logistics and such)...

Dear all,

Thanks for your quick replies. Yes, private is the way we want to go on this cruise :-)

I think I'm slightly overwhelmed with all the info available, but I'll definitely take your suggestions into account. Must do's are anything to do with the volcanoes (hiking, a guide might be good for that to get close and stay safe. Helicopter ride...).

Yes. I'd rather end the cruise somewhere else than Oahu, from what I've heard, but I'm not sure on leaving the ship early (logistics and such)...

You do NOT need any "guide" for hiking at Volcanoes National Park. Get a car at Hilo and drive yourself there. Stop at the visitor center, where friendly Park Service employees are delighted to help you. pick up a map. And GO. :0 That simple. http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

Yes you can usually leave the cruise early on this itinerary.

Dear all,

Hi! Flying back to another island after the cruise ends in Oahu is pretty easy and not expensive. We stayed a night in Waikiki and then flew to Maui. Hope you have a great trip!

Agree with the others that renting a car in each port would be ideal.

With 9 months to plan, I think you'd be able to come up with some great 'active' activities for each port - e.g. hiking at Haleakala (on Maui), hiking at VNP (from the port of Hilo), catamaran snorkelling trip, etc.

There is little risk to DIY port days in Hawaii ... the worst that can happen if you miss the ship is having to do a half hour flight to the next island to catch up with the ship. Hiking at Volcanoes National Park isn't risky either as there aren't any lava flows in the park that you'd be able to hike to, but if you want to do a tour to learn more about the area - have a look at http://www.nativeguidehawaii.com/ - he often gets recommended on the Island of Hawaii Tripadvisor forum when people are looking for private guides at VNP.

Good luck with your plans.:)

One of the most thrilling and exhilarating things I ever did on my Hawaiian cruise was take the bike tour down Haleakala at sunrise. No longer do the tours start the descent from the very top (which it did when I went) however I think it would be considered a "once in a lifetime" experience. I booked independently and was off the ship meeting the tour at some ungodly hour (I really think it was around 4am), was picked up in a van and went to the bike location where we had coffee, fruit and muffins. We were each fitted to a specialized downhill bike (seat height, handlebar adjustment, etc.), given helmets and rain gear (including goggles) and then the van took us up the 10k feet to watch the sunrise. That alone would have been worth the price. But THEN we all got on our bikes (fully donned in rain gear which was a blessing!) and with a guide at the front of the pack and one at the back we made our way down the mountain. Once we hit "upcountry" we stopped for a full meal and we were only 1/2 way done. By this time it was maybe 9am. The sun was out and we all stripped down to shorts and tank tops. The van picked up all our rain gear. We continued the ride trough the gorgeous countryside, through an old sugar plantation, and finally (nearly 50 miles from the top of the mountain) ended at the beach. We swam and took "victory pictures" and marveled at what we'd done! The van took us back to Lahaina and I got back to the ship as many were heading out for the day. I was exhausted and also felt like I was some kind of superwoman to do this at 45! :p

THAT'S what I would say to do!

One of the most thrilling and exhilarating things I ever did on my Hawaiian cruise was take the bike tour down Haleakala at sunrise. No longer do the tours start the descent from the very top (which it did when I went) however I think it would be considered a "once in a lifetime" experience. I booked independently and was off the ship meeting the tour at some ungodly hour (I really think it was around 4am), was picked up in a van and went to the bike location where we had coffee, fruit and muffins. We were each fitted to a specialized downhill bike (seat height, handlebar adjustment, etc.), given helmets and rain gear (including goggles) and then the van took us up the 10k feet to watch the sunrise. That alone would have been worth the price. But THEN we all got on our bikes (fully donned in rain gear which was a blessing!) and with a guide at the front of the pack and one at the back we made our way down the mountain. Once we hit "upcountry" we stopped for a full meal and we were only 1/2 way done. By this time it was maybe 9am. The sun was out and we all stripped down to shorts and tank tops. The van picked up all our rain gear. We continued the ride trough the gorgeous countryside, through an old sugar plantation, and finally (nearly 50 miles from the top of the mountain) ended at the beach. We swam and took "victory pictures" and marveled at what we'd done! The van took us back to Lahaina and I got back to the ship as many were heading out for the day. I was exhausted and also felt like I was some kind of superwoman to do this at 45! :p

Wow, that sounds fantastic [emoji2]

Karli - be sure to read reviews on Tripadvisor about the bike ride down Haleakala if you're considering doing it - a lot of people end up wiping out on the wet, slippery road because it's a downhill ride with numerous switchbacks, and rain isn't uncommon. There are no bike lanes, so you're sharing the road with tourists who are driving it for the first time too. While many people are successful in doing the ride without injuring themselves, there are far too many people who aren't so lucky ... when they go to the ER to get 'patched up', they hear the stories from the doctors and nurses about how busy the clinics and ER's are with these riders.

A better option would be to drive up and hike part way into the crater ... the landscape is spectacular ('moonlike'), and well worth having an hour or two to take in the scenery by hiking in the crater, rather than just having a brief amount of time to view it at sunrise from the observation area. It's a completely different landscape in the crater than on the slopes riding or driving down ... google 'Haleakala crater photos' and you'll get an idea.:)

Karli - be sure to read reviews on Tripadvisor about the bike ride down Haleakala if you're considering doing it - a lot of people end up wiping out on the wet, slippery road because it's a downhill ride with numerous switchbacks, and rain isn't uncommon. There are no bike lanes, so you're sharing the road with tourists who are driving it for the first time too. While many people are successful in doing the ride without injuring themselves, there are far too many people who aren't so lucky ... when they go to the ER to get 'patched up', they hear the stories from the doctors and nurses about how busy the clinics and ER's are with these riders.

I am myself not all that keen on going downhill on a bike (due to all the reasons you list), but my partner is a very good biker (riding daily) and would love to do something like that for sure.

I am myself not all that keen on going downhill on a bike (due to all the reasons you list), but my partner is a very good biker (riding daily) and would love to do something like that for sure.

As long as he's ok with 'braking down' instead of 'riding down':)

Volcano National Park on the Big Island is something you probably would want to experience. It's breathtaking to watch the plume of smoke rising out of the volcano and see the steam vents around the park. You'll probably think like I did at the time. Someday this whole mountain is going to explode and I just hope I'm not there when it does...

At any rate, it's a lot of driving so you might not have a lot of time for hiking, still worth going. There is also a beautiful black sand beach on the south road back to Kona. It's a state park and there are signs on the highway. When we were there, about a dozen sea turtles were nesting in the sand. It's another nice place to visit.

As long as he's ok with 'braking down' instead of 'riding down':)

Everyone rode their brakes (specialized for these downhill rides) going down! There was no choice - However once you reach a certain distance, it becomes flat land and open road, and the ride (an easy ride, I am NOT a bike enthusiast!) is pleasant and enjoyable. In addition, the guides keep everyone riding in single file on the descent.

OP there are a couple of tours that would provide the biking for your partner and allows for you to passenger along in the van, which might be of interest to you. :)

Everyone rode their brakes (specialized for these downhill rides) going down! There was no choice -

I agree - you'd be out of control if you didn't. But an avid rider might not appreciate a group ride at a pace set by the leader to accommodate riders of all levels - and my point in that post was that he might prefer a ride that involved more actual biking.

He might like the challenge of biking up Haleakala, which we usually see some very fit people doing whenever we've driven to Haleakala summit.

There is also a beautiful black sand beach on the south road back to Kona. It's a state park and there are signs on the highway. When we were there, about a dozen sea turtles were nesting in the sand. It's another nice place to visit.

Punaluu Black Sand Beach, is a County park, not a state park.

Hmm... For Kona on the Big Island you might want to DIY. You can hop in a taxi and go to Bike Works on Luhia Street. They rent very nice road bikes for $40-50/day. Then bike south from the pier along Ali'i Drive. There are numerous pocket beaches and nice bays to swim as well as historic sites and heiau (temples). You could stop at Kahalu'u Beach (4.5 miles from the pier) and snorkel or surf (or take lessons). There's equipment for rent there so you won't have to lug it. Bike all the way to Keauhou Bay by the Sheraton (6 miles from the pier), and have lunch at Akule Supply Co. at the small boat dock there. At 12 miles round trip, with plenty of history, activity, and places to eat and rest along the way, this would just about fill the day in port for active cruisers.

Edited by coyboy1971

• 4 weeks later...

I never got around to say thank you for all the ideas and tips with the holiday season keeping me busy. So thanks!! We have one tour booked with Warren from Native Guide Hawaii (very excited about that!) and I will now start looking into options for the other stops. I like the idea of just biking around the island very much!

Hi Karli - I hope you enjoy your day with Warren!

The bike shop mentioned is less than a mile from the pier, so you could walk to it - the route mentioned would be 6 miles south on one road, back on the same road - along the coast. I think there are bike lanes - but you can get a street view from google maps to check it out if you want.

Kailua Kona is currently in the category of 'moderate risk' for Dengue infection - so an alternative plan could be to get a rental car and drive north to the S. Kohala coast (beach area).

Enjoy!:)

This sounds amazing! I tentatively had planned to rent a car when we got off the ship and head to the Kula Lodge (after some touring) for an overnight so that we could experience the Haleakala sunrise without having to travel so far at such an early hour from the ship. I wonder if there would be a way to meet up with his group from the Kula Lodge? What is the name of the tour group?

This sounds amazing! I tentatively had planned to rent a car when we got off the ship and head to the Kula Lodge (after some touring) for an overnight so that we could experience the Haleakala sunrise without having to travel so far at such an early hour from the ship. I wonder if there would be a way to meet up with his group from the Kula Lodge? What is the name of the tour group?

Maui Downhill - (808) 871-2155 mauidownhill dot com

I just was looking at my pictures from that day and really it still brings a huge smile!