Tipping for Room service

teigenes

Is one expected to tip the Steward when they deliver ones breakfast to have in your cabin.? If so how much is expected. Will be on the Aurora in Jan/Feb.

You will get many answers on this., dependant on peoples point of view on tipping.

We used it once on our cruise for breakfast and once for a sarnie... We did not tip extra.

If you were going to use it every morning for breakfast then maybe, but it is not your steward who delivers it..you will have different people each day.

In which case you would have to look at tipping each time, for someone doing their job. If they spread a fine line tablecloth each time and laid out the best silverware and crockery then maybe. In actual fact it will be a person bringing a tray to your cabin. If you think that merits a tip, then £1 a time?

We had room service brekkie on Oriana in October as we had a couple of real early shorex. It is very rare for us to have room service as in my opinion, staff have better things to do. However, it was early in the morning, to wit 0700, half asleep and I got my pounds, dollars and euros mixed up in my wallet, so no wonder the brekkie steward looked ecstatic when he saw he had a £5 note in his hand. He must have thought 'generous Aussie, I thought they were tight tippers!!') LOL.

Edited by NSWP

We take a little purse with £1 coins in, collected before we go and we use for room service tips usually £1 but if we get particularly special service we give £2. We get ice and lemon delivered most nights, an occasional breakfast and lunch.

NSWP - thought on P&O there were crew assigned to do room service. They certainly on the whole seem a pretty happy bunch and always very pleased to get a small tip

We take a little purse with £1 coins in, collected before we go and we use for room service tips usually £1 but if we get particularly special service we give £2. We get ice and lemon delivered most nights, an occasional breakfast and lunch.

NSWP - thought on P&O there were crew assigned to do room service. They certainly on the whole seem a pretty happy bunch and always very pleased to get a small tip

Same as us! We save up £1 coins to take with us :)

Is one expected to tip the Steward when they deliver ones breakfast to have in your cabin.? If so how much is expected. Will be on the Aurora in Jan/Feb.

On our first cruise with P&O we didn't tip.

We then went on 3 Celebrity cruises and got used to giving a dollar or 2 when breakfast was delivered as was suggested on the Celebrity thread.

This year on 2 P&O cruises we gave a small tip just as a thank you - only about a £1. The staff always seemed very appreciative of the gesture.

Having said that, I don't think there is any need to - I think our US cruises have got us in the habit of saying small thank you. :)

Edited by Presto2

Why not offer to help wash the dishes? That'll give them even more time for those "better things to do". :)

Take me to the scullery, I am an all rounder. I saw them doing the dishes on the 'Behind the Scenes Tour' on Oriana, I doubt the dish washers got any of the £75 fee though, all goes to Carnival Corp coffers in the US of A.

Thanks for the feedback, as we are joining the ship in San Francisco and disembarking in Auckland the need to buy UK Pounds just for tipping doesn't make sense. Plus the hideous exchange rate NZ$ to UK pounds makes me think we will just take US dollars. As this is a world cruise, I think US dollars would be readily accepted in most countries. More so than the NZ dollar! Tho they could spend NZ$ while in the ports visited here!. That is of course if they have shore leave.

Edited by teigenes

We always tip £1 it is almost always the same person who brings the order (especially at breakfast time). Each to their own, no right or wrong answer but if you do tip you can guarantee it is bang on time [emoji23]

Florry on the odd time when I have had brekkie room service they have always arrived with in 5 mins of the start of my slot. I do not tip. I smile and say thank you and am polite.

I don't know maybe the sleeping snoring monster in the corner of the room scares them off.!!!! (that's OH not me)

We have room service so rarely I don't think we have the same person.

Thanks for the feedback, as we are joining the ship in San Francisco and disembarking in Auckland the need to buy UK Pounds just for tipping doesn't make sense. Plus the hideous exchange rate NZ$ to UK pounds makes me think we will just take US dollars. As this is a world cruise, I think US dollars would be readily accepted in most countries. More so than the NZ dollar! Tho they could spend NZ$ while in the ports visited here!. That is of course if they have shore leave.

For crew, the currency of choice is most definitely the US dollar :D

Florry on the odd time when I have had brekkie room service they have always arrived with in 5 mins of the start of my slot. I do not tip. I smile and say thank you and am polite.

I don't know maybe the sleeping snoring monster in the corner of the room scares them off.!!!! (that's OH not me)

We have room service so rarely I don't think we have the same person.

Ah like me you are the one who gets to open the door [emoji53] whilst the OH sleeps through the knocking! Got my own back one year though - brought a breakfast card home, completed it, hung it on the bedroom door and made sure I retired first so he would know! Got it too [emoji4]

Edited by Florry

We more or less said the same ----- I think.

I would like to be liked too as it is Christmas :D:D:D

Of course I like you too Presto........Well at least we agree about tips :)

And maybe the fact we also cruise with Cunard and Princess has made us feel more that we should tip extra to crew who provide good service. The pound coins are easy for us but once we get to the Caribbean it may well be $1 bills