Not impressed pre-cruise

KirkNC

OK, I have two voyages booked. One is the Norway up and back on the ferry and the other is Christmas in Antarctica. My experience so far in trying to get questions answered has not been very good. Problems include multiple attempts to initiate chats (get kicked off) and multiple emails (no responses). I have a user ID which has the Norway cruise but not the Antarctica cruise. So I call and they basically say they can't hook them both to my ID because one was booked in euros and one in USD...what???? I booked both of them through the Hurtengruten site. They say they have multiple systems and they don't communicate. I was willing to setup a separate user account for the Antarctica cruise but they can only use email addresses and I am not setting up another email account as a work around. Seems pretty lame to me. This experience has not created a lot of confidence on my part about traveling with them. I do take some comfort that most have had good actual voyages.

I think their internet communication has gone a downward spiral with the arrival of the new website. I have a good communication by telephone and email with the French Hurtigruten representative and never through the website, so I'm not sure I fully understand what your particular problem is, but if this problem prevents you from getting information about your trips then it is not good.

I have been 6 times with them on the Coastal Express trip in Norway and three times on an Explorer voyage (Antarctica twice and once in Svalbard) and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the trips themselves (on the contrary, everything was very professional, efficient, comfortable, and altogether awesome) so hopefully you can be reassured about that.

I have been 6 times with them on the Coastal Express trip in Norway and three times on an Explorer voyage (Antarctica twice and once in Svalbard) and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the trips themselves (on the contrary, everything was very professional, efficient, comfortable, and altogether awesome) so hopefully you can be reassured about that.

Thanks, that is reassuring!

• 1 month later...
OK, I have two voyages booked. One is the Norway up and back on the ferry and the other is Christmas in Antarctica. My experience so far in trying to get questions answered has not been very good. Problems include multiple attempts to initiate chats (get kicked off) and multiple emails (no responses). I have a user ID which has the Norway cruise but not the Antarctica cruise. So I call and they basically say they can't hook them both to my ID because one was booked in euros and one in USD...what???? I booked both of them through the Hurtengruten site. They say they have multiple systems and they don't communicate. I was willing to setup a separate user account for the Antarctica cruise but they can only use email addresses and I am not setting up another email account as a work around. Seems pretty lame to me. This experience has not created a lot of confidence on my part about traveling with them. I do take some comfort that most have had good actual voyages.

After you have done your Norwegian Coastal Voyage, you'll need to link that cruise with your cruise to Antarctica, because Hurtigruten give a discount for a second cruise. Try a letter, if your emails/phone calls are unsuccessful.

Hurtigruten is not known for its paperwork! However, its cruises are wonderful.

BTW You won't see any polar bears at Christmas, but lots of penquins, seals, birds, etc.

Edited by MMDown Under

As with a lot of these companies, the experiences the people on the ground (deck!) offer are far, far superior to those which the 'back office' offer! Unfortunate, but true.

I managed a retail branch of a Bank and the Regional General Manager had some great sayings to keep people's mind on the business:

1. 'The only difference between your branch and the corner shop is that we won't allow your branch to run out of cash ...'

AND

2. If you're not serving a customer, make sure you're serving someone who is ...

Sad that many businesses' back office function have lost sight of number 2, and, in so doing, contribute to the chances of number 1 happening!

After you have done your Norwegian Coastal Voyage, you'll need to link that cruise with your cruise to Antarctica, because Hurtigruten give a discount for a second cruise. Try a letter, if your emails/phone calls are unsuccessful.

Hurtigruten is not known for its paperwork! However, its cruises are wonderful.

BTW You won't see any polar bears at Christmas, but lots of penquins, seals, birds, etc.

You are the first to see that, I realized my mistake after I created it.:eek: