Peloponnese Peninsula as Top 2016 World Attraction!!

TLCOhio

From the London/UK Telegraph newspaper yesterday, they have this headline: "20 destinations you must visit in 2016". This includes tips, ideas and details for Greece's scenic and interesting Peloponnese area.

Here are a few of the story highlights about this historic area: "Old and new can make intriguing bedfellows. And there’s no doubt that the Peloponnese delivers when it comes to 'old'. This colossal peninsula, swelling for more than 8,300 square miles at the south-west corner of Greece, was the arena in which many of the country’s ancient dramas played out. Remnants of this halcyon era are manifold: the iconic fourth century BC amphitheatre at Epidaurus, its acoustics as glorious today as they were when designed; the ruins of Sparta, the obstreperous city-state that rose as a rival to Athens in the fifth century BC; and the sanctuary of Olympia, where the Olympic Games threw and ran. But what of “new”? The innovation for 2016 is wider accessibility. April 30 will bring the launch of a twice-weekly British Airways connection to the southern city of Kalamata from Heathrow.".

Lots of great memories from when we circled around the Peloponnese Peninsula with our private driver/guide. Below are a few of my visual highlights for what we saw, experienced and loved.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/12063983/20-destinations-you-must-visit-in-2016.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 207,539 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Historic Roman ruins are in Ancient Corinth, including this portion of the Temple of Apollo and the mountains over this site. This historic area is 48 miles southwest of Athens. It was a city-state on the Isthmus of Corinth that joins the Peloponnesus to mainland Greece, roughly halfway between Athens and Sparta. In classical times, Corinth rivaled Athens and Thebes in wealth, based on the Isthmian traffic and trade. Apostle Paul first visited the city around AD 51-52. He lived here for eighteen months, including writing two of his epistles on the difficulties of maintaining a Christian community in such a cosmopolitan city with so much sin and corruption existing in this city.:

CorinthHills.jpg

The Corinth Canal is right on the route as we were circling the Peloponnesian Peninsula and nearby to the famed, ancient, historic city of Corinth. This canal is a unique engineering job carved through about 260' of rock. The canal is four miles in length, 75' wide and was built between 1881 and 1893:

CorinthCanal.jpg

These Mycene ruins go back 2700 years from a spectacular empire. As a major center of Greek civilization, this military stronghold dominated much of southern Greece. The period of Greek history from about 1600 BC to about 1100 BC is called Mycenaean in reference to Mycenae's power during this "bronze age". Much of the Mycenaean religion survived into classical Greece in their pantheon of Greek deities. Lots of "real" history here!!:

MyceneRuins.jpg

Example of Mycene gold in the museum at this historic site:

MyceneGold.jpg

Looking down upon Nafplion from the historic Palamidi military fortress that overlooks the town and its harbor. This fortress is on the crest of a 216-metre high hill. It was built by the Venetians during their second occupation of the area (1686-1715).:

Nap.jpg

Epidaurus is the famed outdoor theater with super great acoustics on the Peloponnesian Peninsula. Their local prosperity enabled Epidaurus to construct civic monuments including this huge theater that had dramatic performances, ceremonial programs, etc. It was designed in the 4th century BC. The original 34 rows were extended in Roman times by another 21 rows. As with many Greek theaters (and as opposed to Roman ones), the view on a lush landscape behind the performing areas was an integral part of the design. It seats up to 15,000 people. The acoustics permit almost perfect intelligibility of un-amplified spoken word from the proscenium. A 2007 study by Georgia Tech scholars indicates that the amazing acoustic properties are either the result of an accident or the product of advanced design . . . rows of limestone seats filtering out low-frequency sounds and amplify/reflect high-frequency sounds from the stage.:

GreekOutThTwo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We did a 10 day driving tour from Athens and back this past September. Had a wonderful time. We especially liked the Mani Peninsula. It was our first time there even though we have been to Greece and the Greek Islands several times.

We hopped over to Hydra for a night/day. We left the car in Metochi and took the short ferry to Hydra. Much more convenient (and less expensive) that taking the ferry from Pireaus.

• 1 year later...

From Travel+Leisure magazine this month, they have this headline: Best Places to Travel in 2018with their highlighting of "The Peloponnese, Greece".

They featured these key details: "The Greek highway system has seen several recent upgrades, with a new route making the 2,000-year-old olive trees and lesser-visited ruins of the Peloponnese, the country’s southernmost swathe of mainland, more accessible. Completed in late 2016, the new A71 highway from Lefktro to Sparta shaves off two hours of driving time from Athens, and has also connected the Lefktro region to nearby Kalamata Airport. Ports have been expanded at Gytheio and Katakolon. Farming is still integral to the region, and agritourism resorts like Eumelia constantly refresh their food and wellness-themed workshops, in addition to serving local dishes like maniatiki pasta with dry mizithra cheese, and moustokouloura, or cookies made with grape molasses."

After a January-February 2018, first visit to Southeast Asia, we are planning a late November, 2018, Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania. This would include our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. BUT, I look forward to any and all suggestions, tips, insights, secrets, etc., for options in and around Athens. It will be our first visit back there since June 2006. Lots has changed and happened during the past decade or so of Greek history and economics.

Full story at:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2018#nacujam-bay-croatia

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

We love Greece, But could be getting cool in November. We are going to visit Meteora this year. You could arrange a tour there of those skyscraping monasteries from Athens along with Delphi, Mycenae etc.

How long do you have? We also really like Crete amd you could easily spend a couple of weeks there prior. Lots to see and do. Phaestos, Knossos, Malia, You could fly into Crete and then to Athens prior to your cruise.

We love Greece, But could be getting cool in November. We are going to visit Meteora this year. You could arrange a tour there of those skyscraping monasteries from Athens along with Delphi, Mycenae etc. How long do you have? We also really like Crete amd you could easily spend a couple of weeks there prior. Lots to see and do. Phaestos, Knossos, Malia, You could fly into Crete and then to Athens prior to your cruise.

Appreciate these great comments and follow-up thoughts from our "neighbor" to the north in Canada. Yes, very helpful!! We have not yet done our air bookings. Probably will need to be more narrowly focused on air arrangement. The flights will be provided by our cruise line as a part of the overall package for this into Athens and out of Dubai trip. Plus, timing in more limited for us in early to mid November.

During our 2006 trip, we had three days in Athens and was able to see Mycenae during our day in circling the Peloponnese area. Delphi could be of interest for us. Lots to consider and great options being available for Athens and Greece prior to the cruise's start. After completing our SE Asia "adventure", we will turn the page in March and focus more for our options during this late 2018 trip. Keep it coming by sharing such keen insights.

For Athens and nearby, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples from this city that is so great for seeing its great history, style and architecture. This posting is now at 17,668 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

Good news about the highway system upgrade. I find myself in Athens quite often at the beginning or end of a Med cruise and have visited just about every nearby site. However, a trip to Sparta and Mystras is high on my list, either from Athens or from a closer cruise port (although even the closest one is a bit of a drive, I think....) I'll keep this on my radar.

Terry, Delphi is spectacular. If you have to prioritize one thing while in Athens, I'd make it this. Ideally it deserves more than one day but it CAN be successfully done on a long day trip from Athens.

Glad to be of help. Let us know your plans as they evolve and I can offer some more suggestions. Google the Meteora monasteries, they have been on My list for ages and are truly spectacular.

Good to know about the new highway, although the driving on the highways in Greece is quite creative! They make four lanes out of two as you need to drive in the shoulder to avoid a head on. It all works well once you realize the system.

Would also love to hear about your Asia adventure as that too is on the list!

Epidaurus, Corinth, Mycenae and Nafplion are in the northern Peloponnese, easily accesible from Athens and on the usual tourist site lists, as well thy should. But the southern Peloponnese is fascinating. Two of its jewels are Mystras and Monemvassia. Mystras is very near Sparta and easily accessible from Gytheio or from the new A71 road. Monemvassia is harder to get to, but a real beauty. Gytheio itself is charming. Sparta can be underwhelming. The Diros caves are fascinating and about 45 minutes west of Gytheio.

Bennybear - I am sure you know Meteora is in northern Greece, but it could be confusing to others who may think it is in the Peloponnesus.

Marazul, I am aware but good to clarify. I have seen tours out of Athens that visit both Delphi and Meteora. I just think Meteora would make a great overnight trip. Appreciate your info on the Peloponnesus. So much to see and do in Greece!

bennybear, yes, Meteora is a great place for an overnight trip. We stayed at the Pension Artenis and had a wonderful time. They made a fabulous barbecued lamb for dinner and had fresh figs for desert. The figs may be gone by the time you go, but it was a really good place to stay. In fact, Delphi and Meteora are good for a trip with two overnights: one in Delphi and one in Meteora. Or, if you leave early to go to Delphi (2 hours from Athens), then go on to Meteora (4 hours away) that same afternoon and stay two nights there. You need a full day (or two half days) for the monasteries. On the way back from Meteora, you can make a brief stop at the springs of Thermopylae. Be mindful that Meteora is 5 hours from Athens. Of course, if you can, plan on three nights.

For those going to the southern Peloponnese, I recommend staying in Gythion at the Hotel Aktaion, facing the sea. If you have an option I would definitely stay there rather than in Sparta.

Also, there are some cruise lines that stop at Gytheion and Monemvassia. You can do the excursion to Mystras from either port, although it is a lot closer from Gytheion.

Edited by marazul

Also, there are some cruise lines that stop at Gytheion and Monemvassia. You can do the excursion to Mystras from either port, although it is a lot closer from Gytheion.

I've looked at doing it from Monemvasia (a truly beautiful place) but it seemed a long way for a day trip, especially as I'd want to to justice to Sparta -- even if not much is there, I'd enjoy visiting the place -- and to Mystras.

Guess I'll have to look for a cruise that stops at Gytheion.

We found the roads to be just fine. We took ten days. Picked up the car in Athens, dropped it at the airport prior to taking the airport bus to Pireus.

We were very thankful that we did it this way. Day trips would have considerably lessened the experience. Highly recommend this approach. There are a few tolls as you exit Athens on the dual highway towards Corinth.

I agree with iancal. The best way is by road and 10 days would be ideal. Start with Corinth, Epidaurus and Mycenae and overnight in Nafplion. Then down to Mystras and Sparta and head to Gytheo or Monemvassia. From Gytheio, head west to the Diros caves, explore some of the tower houses in the Mani peninsula and drive North along the shore to Kalamata. From there on to Messene and Olympia. The choice here is interesting. Either back towards Athens along the Lousios gorge, or up to Patras and crossing the bridge over the Gulf of Corinth towards the mainland - then Delphi, Meteora?

The roads are good, the landscapes are beautiful. And the places I mentioned are just a few of the highlights.

There is So much to see in Greece. We really like Crete and have visited three times, two weeks each trip. We also have spent several weeks on a number of the islands. Agree about exploring by car. We are going to explore northern Greece hopefully this spring. We hope to visit Meteora, Ioannina, Vergina, Kastoria, Parga and Chaldiki. This time we will fly in and out of Thessaloniki. Any advice?