Review: Independence 12/19 sailing (detailed!)

blonde375

If you had told me 6 months ago (or ever for that matter) that I'd be lucky enough to take a family vacation on a cruise the week of Christmas, I would have laughed at you.

Yes, the ship was crowded and sold out; yes, there were 1,140 children onboard! We all agreed to pack our patience in return for getting to travel at this time of year and no matter what, make the best of any obstacle that came our way. Fortunately, there were only a couple glitches.

We had a great trip, each one of us. Cruising really is a great way to share family time and please everyone. The boys were never bored, never hungry, and were ever so impressed with the crew and their hard work and dedication to serving the guests.

Even made a believer out of my husband, who told me on Day 3 to book the next one while we were onboard!! Of course, I did as I was told....Fall Break Family Vacation.....Allure of the Seas 10/23/16, here we come!!!!!!!:cool:

Thanks for your great review! My family and I are sailing on Independence of the Seas a week from today and we are so excited! We will be going to Belize and Cozumel too. I am excited that we booked our excursion in Belize through RCCL so that we do not have to deal with the tender line. I was wondering if you ever went to the Pyramid Lounge in the evening? I was on Independence in March and that was a hot spot for dancing. Also, did they not offer lobster on formal night? I noticed that you said it was on the 4th night. Thanks for your review!

Lobster was only served on Day 4.

Not sure that the tender situation would make me book thru RCCL next time, but I would definitely let the joys sleep in an extra hour LOL

Enjoy your trip, Tiggercat!! You'll love the ship.

DH purchased wifi on Day 3 after we returned from Cozumel. He paid $35 for the remainder of cruise for 1 device. He said the connection "sucked". He was using his iPhone 6s+. he really thought he wasted the money. People were complaining at Guest Services about it.

It does suck ... badly .. as well as the internet in the computer/internet room they have. Slow as molasses.

RC has some balls for charging people for this service that is so bad.

Great review!

Edited by F27TW

Thanks for the review and the pics. Looking at your sig you haven't done freedom class before what was everybody's impressions? Too big? Just right?

CanadaRob, the closest in size that I had gotten was the Navigator. I didn't think it was too big and for the most part, I'm a small ship girl....I love the Serenade and the Radiance and the Grandeur.

We all liked the Indy though a lot. The boys had nothing to compare it to and their only complaint was that we had to leave. DH only had the Grandeur as a comparison. But for me, I really liked the Promenade area, I liked the very separate pool area for the smaller children. I didn't like the position of the Diamond Lounge as it didn't have great viewing space and it was tucked up over the sports court The Schooner Bar was a little open for me; didn't have that intimate feel like on the ships I mentioned before. Those would be my only "complaints". I did still feel like I was on a cruise ship with places to sit/walk and stare at the big blue ocean.

I purchased a watch a few yrs Ago same thing,Good thing was as they took us to customs Private room we passed 100s of people on line,handed in my form they charged less than 50$,I would of of 50$ to cut all those exit lines. LOL PS. Our form was correct also.

Do you remember who the entertainers were in the Schooner and in the pub??

The singer/guitar player, Damian Joyce, in The Dog and Badger played a nice set list. The Schooner Bar piano player was Simon John, good as well!

CanadaRob, the closest in size that I had gotten was the Navigator. I didn't think it was too big and for the most part, I'm a small ship girl....I love the Serenade and the Radiance and the Grandeur.

We all liked the Indy though a lot. The boys had nothing to compare it to and their only complaint was that we had to leave. DH only had the Grandeur as a comparison. But for me, I really liked the Promenade area, I liked the very separate pool area for the smaller children. I didn't like the position of the Diamond Lounge as it didn't have great viewing space and it was tucked up over the sports court The Schooner Bar was a little open for me; didn't have that intimate feel like on the ships I mentioned before. Those would be my only "complaints". I did still feel like I was on a cruise ship with places to sit/walk and stare at the big blue ocean.

Was the diamond lounge not just off the sky lounge and did it have a key card entrance,we are going next May from Southampton,also is there also the option of three free drinks for diamond members at other bars which I understand RCI have brought in to try and ease the numbers in the diamond lounge? Regards and thanks for the excellent review.

Was the diamond lounge not just off the sky lounge and did it have a key card entrance,we are going next May from Southampton,also is there also the option of three free drinks for diamond members at other bars which I understand RCI have brought in to try and ease the numbers in the diamond lounge? Regards and thanks for the excellent review.

Yes to both questions.

Thank you for the very informative review. We are going in April and I'd like to know which night if formal night. thanks.

Formal night was Sunday evening....just one formal night on the 5 night cruise. MDR menu items that I can remember for that night were Beef Tenderloin and Shrimp Ravioli (delish!)

Lobster was served on Tuesday night.

• 2 weeks later...
Formal night was Sunday evening....just one formal night on the 5 night cruise. MDR menu items that I can remember for that night were Beef Tenderloin and Shrimp Ravioli (delish!)

Does anyone know if room service on formal night would include the tenderloin and ravioli? My partner and I are not into getting that dressed up... rather not pack a jacket.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh so formal night didn't have lobster?