Planning Questions

yvonneh

We are traveling for our first time to FP and to our first PG cruise. :D

We are staying in Tahiti 1 night and then traveling to Moorea for 2 nights before the cruise.

Is a taxi the best way to get to the hotel when we arrive at 9:40 PM? Then to get to the ferry port the next day? Or would we be better off renting a car (price wise)? What about Le Truck?

Where do you suggest car rental in Moorea? And how do we get from the dock to the car rental place?

Also, we are going to do this crazy thing the last day and get off the ship, plan to rent a car and explore until our late night flight. Any suggestions with this? Are there car rental offices by the port in Tahiti, or just the airport? What are some things we can go do and see?

Thank you in advance for any tips and suggestions!

We are staying in Tahiti 1 night and then traveling to Moorea for 2 nights before the cruise.

Is a taxi the best way to get to the hotel when we arrive at 9:40 PM? Then to get to the ferry port the next day? Or would we be better off renting a car (price wise)? What about Le Truck?

Where do you suggest car rental in Moorea? And how do we get from the dock to the car rental place?

Also, we are going to do this crazy thing the last day and get off the ship, plan to rent a car and explore until our late night flight. Any suggestions with this? Are there car rental offices by the port in Tahiti, or just the airport? What are some things we can go do and see?

A cab is best when you arrive in Tahiti to get to your hotel. Don't know which hotel it is, of course. Then to the ferry port the next day, yes. Le Truck would be a bit problematic with luggage I think, and I don't think they operate at night.

We used Albert's for a car rental on Moorea, but there's also Avis. Just google Albert's Cars, you'll find it. They will pick you up at the ferry dock and take you to the rental office

What time does the ship get back to Papeete the last day? The sun sets at 6 p.m. down there, and then it's dark, not much exploring to do in the dark.

Regarding the last day the best person to give you advice is tahitiBigKahuna as I recall he has done this a few times. You can drive around the island ie circle island drive that people enjoy. Otherwise you can book Patrick Aventure to pick you up at the ship and take you around the island dropping you off at the airport.

You may want to consider staying the 1 night at Fare Suisse. An inexpensive pension (about $100). They include the pick up at the airport as well as the drop off at the ferry the next day. They are located about 1-2 blocks from a large supermarket so you could stock up on snacks, if you want, before you head to Moorea.

Thank you Wendy, Emdee and flightmedic555! I appreciate the suggestions.

I have us booked at Le Meridian right now, but I have put in a request with Fare Suisse. Since we are not going to even be at the hotel but to sleep that night, the B&B sounds like a much better choice. Thanks!

Just be aware that Fare Suisse is very plain. A simple, clean room which was fine for the night but in no way is this a fancy place. There is also a hotel or 2within about 2 blocks of the ferry. I have not stayed in them but perhaps others have some 1st hand experience. I think one is Tahiti Nui. If Fare Suisse does not work out a hotel near the ferry might be good as it would only involve the one taxi ride from the airport to the hotel as you can walk to the ferry in the morning.

Just be aware that Fare Suisse is very plain. A simple, clean room which was fine for the night but in no way is this a fancy place. There is also a hotel or 2within about 2 blocks of the ferry. I have not stayed in them but perhaps others have some 1st hand experience. I think one is Tahiti Nui. If Fare Suisse does not work out a hotel near the ferry might be good as it would only involve the one taxi ride from the airport to the hotel as you can walk to the ferry in the morning.

Are there mossies there? Always worried about dengue in Tahiti.

We stayed in the Tahiti Nui hotel several years ago for three nights. It is a 'boutique' like hotel. The rooms and bathrooms are comfortable, there is a small pool and a restaurant in the hotel. The hotel is next door to a Shell gas station which has a fully stocked convenience store where you can purchase somewhat reasonably priced food. In November we met a German woman officer of the Bramin, an expedition passenger cruise ship who was staying at the Tahiti Nui and found it to be quite comfortable. It is definitely well situated to the port and

walking around exploring the area.