Any benefits to a Handicap Suite?

kevingastreich

Our experience was a little different. Booking ten month ahead of our cruise, we asked for a Signature Suite on the Noordam. Our TA advised that we were offered Cabin 6108, an accessible cabin. That it would be a larger cabin, and had an angled balcony.

We understood that it would be a different configuration than the standard SS we had enjoyed on the Zuiderdam. We were told that if someone else needed it, we would be moved to another comparable cabin. Fair enough. In the end no one else needed the accessible cabin, so it was ours.

I preferred the bath room layout in the regular cabin, with two sinks, a shower and a bath. The cabin was nice and was larger because of it being at the point where the ship bumps out. The larger and angled balcony was wonderful, better than a straight balcony. Lots of storage space.

There was a switch on the headboard, on my better half's side of the bed. It controlled the curtains as they had electric motors to open and close them. She thought that was great.

We are going to be on the Oosterdam in about seven weeks, and have a Signature Suite guarantee. We could end up with either type of cabin, and I don't think I will be troubled either way, both were nice cabins.

John

The cabin doors all along the hall were way too narrow to fit his scooter. Actually, I highly doubt that any scooter could get through the doorways.

The doorways are just wide enough to allow a scooter to fit through, with about 1" clearance on each side. If someone had an oversize scooter, it would not fit.

The problem with most of the inside/outside cabins is that beyond the doorway is the line of closets and the bathroom wall. It's a long way to try to maneuver the scooter, and there's no way to turn it around or park it once inside.

There are some cabins, though, with a different configuration. There's a little space once inside the doorway. If you back the scooter in, there's room to park it, and you can then drive right out when exiting the cabin.

I've done this on the S-, R-, Vista, and Signature ships. But! I have to have the right cabin!

Lots of misinformation on this thread.

There are TWO HA Neptune suites on Vista and Signature ships.

On Vista, they are SC. ON the others, they are SA.

NO travel agent should book a person into one of the HA cabins if the passenger does not need it.

I have to laugh at people's vision of these great ships sailing with numerous empty HA cabins, if they are limited to handicapped pax only. Seriously? The larger ships have about 2 dozen HA cabins across all categories.

We have to book HA cabins as DH is in a wheelchair. We almost always book about a year out, so we can get a HA cabin in the category we choose.

Imagine if all you able-bodied folks had to do that!

Sometimes even that isn't enough, and we have to book a different week, or ship, just to find a HA cabin.

I have no problem with HAL releasing the HA cabins to the general inventory at some point around final payment.

But you know what? I understand that many people who book guarantees do not want to land in a HA cabin.

They don't like the toilet/shower combo (as previously described), they don't like the single sink (and limited storage) or the fact that the tub is not jetted.

The balconies are NOT bigger in HA cabins.

In fact, the balconies for the SY cabins all the way forward are SMALLER than the standard SY cabins.

Biggest myth of all: if an able-bodied person books a HA and someone needs it, they will be moved.

NOT true.

If you are able-bodied and book a HA cabin, it's removed from inventory.

Call HAL's Access & Compliance people and ask.

Edited by Oceanwench

In the past we have been shut out of cruises because there were no HA cabins available.

I've asked HAL customer service if all the cabins were occupied by people who needed them.

The answer? " Of course. We would not let someone book one who didn't need it."

A WA room should be kept for wheelchair access only. For HAL to foist those on anyone at anytime, or at the last minute because they are available, is wrong.

The SY 5002/1 are total crap for anyone paying an SY fare (unless one actually needs it).

They have no whirlpool bath, a tiny couch, windy verandah, and the location is quite poor.

nuff said......

I'm glad we rejected it at the time. :)

A WA room should be kept for wheelchair access only.

Wrong on two counts.

First, there are handicapped people who need some of the amenities of a HA cabin, but don't use a wheelchair. They should also feel free to book a HA cabin when there is nothing else suitable.

Second, HAL has every right, and responsibility for that matter, to fill the cabin with non-handicapped passengers when it is getting close to sailing date. After final payment is reasonable.

A WA room should be kept for wheelchair access only. For HAL to foist those on anyone at anytime, or at the last minute because they are available, is wrong.

The SY 5002/1 are total crap for anyone paying an SY fare (unless one actually needs it).

They have no whirlpool bath, a tiny couch, windy verandah, and the location is quite poor.

nuff said......

MOST of the time if you do not book a guarantee, it will not happen to you.

Choose the cabin number you want at the time you book.

Lots of misinformation on this thread.

There are TWO HA Neptune suites on Vista and Signature ships.

On Vista, they are SC. ON the others, they are SA.

NO travel agent should book a person into one of the HA cabins if the passenger does not need it.

I have to laugh at people's vision of these great ships sailing with numerous empty HA cabins, if they are limited to handicapped pax only. Seriously? The larger ships have about 2 dozen HA cabins across all categories.

We have to book HA cabins as DH is in a wheelchair. We almost always book about a year out, so we can get a HA cabin in the category we choose.

Imagine if all you able-bodied folks had to do that!

Sometimes even that isn't enough, and we have to book a different week, or ship, just to find a HA cabin.

I have no problem with HAL releasing the HA cabins to the general inventory at some point around final payment.

But you know what? I understand that many people who book guarantees do not want to land in a HA cabin.

They don't like the toilet/shower combo (as previously described), they don't like the single sink (and limited storage) or the fact that the tub is not jetted.

The balconies are NOT bigger in HA cabins.

In fact, the balconies for the SY cabins all the way forward are SMALLER than the standard SY cabins.

Biggest myth of all: if an able-bodied person books a HA and someone needs it, they will be moved.

NOT true.

If you are able-bodied and book a HA cabin, it's removed from inventory.

Call HAL's Access & Compliance people and ask.

While it wasn't until my DH's last cruise he needed a wheel chair, we never had a HA cabin by choice but ended up in one on Rotterdam VI for Millenium Christmas/New Years Cruise with notice given day before we boarded while we were already in FLL. (We had NOT booked a guarantee. We had booked the cabin we were assigned, however, the ship had just come out of dry dock and while there they converted our cabin to HA. We understood but did not like the cabin and you can imagine how much we paid for two weeks Millenium :eek: in "SA" cabin.)

However, we almost always booked all our cruises a year in advance or more in order to get the cabins we liked. Many people book that far out. My husband was a professional who could arrange his calendar but once he made certain commitments, they were close to 'carved in stone'. We were fine with booking that far out.

Edited by sail7seas

Wrong on two counts.

First, there are handicapped people who need some of the amenities of a HA cabin, but don't use a wheelchair. They should also feel free to book a HA cabin when there is nothing else suitable.

Second, HAL has every right, and responsibility for that matter, to fill the cabin with non-handicapped passengers when it is getting close to sailing date. After final payment is reasonable.

OK, fine.

First: I meant HA not WA.

Second: A pax should have an unchallenged right of refusal if assigned an HA cabin of any class.

Hope this helps with any conniption suffered :)

There is less storage space, a smaller couch (if you have one at all) and other detriments for passenger who does not require a handicap cabin but advantages for someone confined to a wheelchair. I am actually surprised that your PCC booked you into one if you don't need it.

I, too, am surprised that your PCC, a HAL employee, would book you in one if you don't need it. IMO, they should be saved for people who are truly mobility challenged.

In addition, they have a roll in shower for a wheelchair. Why would someone not needing that want one? Most that I've seen when walking by have limited furniture. No sofa, etc.

No advantage that I can see for a person w/o mobility issues.

Edited by innlady1

OK, fine.

First: I meant HA not WA.

Second: A pax should have an unchallenged right of refusal if assigned an HA cabin of any class.

Hope this helps with any conniption suffered :)

Again, if you book a guarantee, you take a risk.

While HAL does reserve the right to move any passenger, should they deem it necessary, passengers do come exceedingly close to that standard.

All they have to do is book a specific cabin, and have the booking marked "Do not upgrade".

But when they book a guarantee, they are voluntarily giving up the right of refusal of any cabin in their chosen category, or above. It's their choice.

Again, if you book a guarantee, you take a risk.

On that point, HAL PCCs or TAs should explain when booking, that a guarantee SY suite may be an HA cabin with no jet tub, no full couch, not in the center of the ship, has a toilet in the shower etc, etc,

Odds are the potential pax would not book a guarantee with that information.

My world is not that perfect. :D

In a perfect world, sure......

But those reps get much wrong and that is not necessarily the worst of it.

Isn't there some responsibility for the cruiser to ask? It is not always someone else's fault. If you ask and get the wrong answer, that is one thing. If you go merrily on your way and don't ask, you (meant generally - not specifically you) have to take some responsibility.

Edited by sail7seas

On that point, HAL PCCs or TAs should explain when booking, that a guarantee SY suite may be an HA cabin with no jet tub, no full couch, not in the center of the ship, has a toilet in the shower etc, etc,

Odds are the potential pax would not book a guarantee with that information.

I entirely agree. Many people would be totally unknowing about the fact that it might be a HC cabin, or what that entails, when booking a guarantee in any category. The PCC or TA is supposed to be the professional that you can trust to take care of your booking and give you the information on which to base a decision.

Sail,

Yes, you might have booked a year out because you wanted a specific cabin.

I understand that - if a person really, really wants 7056 ... and no other cabin will do ... then he/she has to book in advance.

My point was that a person requiring a HA cabin doesn't always have the option of booking closer to the sailing date -- say when there's a sale, or a promo, or when friends decide to cruise and invite them along.

Not everyone who cruises HAL has a specific cabin he/she wants -- Most people I know want a certain category or location, but the cabin number is not important to them.

But with a person who has no option but to sail in a HA cabin - because of mobility or other issues - there is not always the luxury of choosing closer to the sailing date.

That is our lament -- too few HA cabins, and when able-bodied folks book them, assuming they are going to get "perks," it just makes fewer cabins available to those in need.

Edited by Oceanwench

[quote name='innlady1'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]I, too, am surprised that your PCC, a HAL employee, would book you in one if you don't need it. IMO, they should be saved for people who are truly mobility challenged.

In addition, they have a roll in shower for a wheelchair. Why would someone not needing that want one? Most that I've seen when walking by have limited furniture. No sofa, etc.

No advantage that I can see for a person w/o mobility issues. [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

All of the HA staterooms we have stayed in on HAL ships -- VA to SA - have had sofas.
Most have too much furniture, too.
We just sailed in 6108 on Westerdam, an SS.
We had to ask the steward to remove a chair and a coffee table, so DH could go from one side to the other of the room in his wheelchair.

It's only when we book a suite that we don't request they take away furniture.

The roll-in shower feature is a real annoyance in the mini-suites and suites for HA staterooms.
I would much prefer the separate shower as in the standard rooms, if I had the choice!
The HA roll-in showers make a mess - you have to remember to remove the rolls of TP or they will get soaked!:eek: