Open dining question

JPH814

As an open diner I wish they wouldn't do this either. It's been my experience that usually you end up being sent upstairs a bit later than the start of the fixed dining so you are rushed. Getting your open wine seems to be a problem. I've had it happen on gala nights too when I'm wearing a long dress and heels and have had to walk up the stairs with that situation. Not good. I've asked them to not put me upstairs if it can be helped. I think it's a good idea to mention the issue on your evaluation. It's also not fair to the waiters who may get thrown off.

You are absolutely right! It puts a lot of stress on the stewards who have the likes and dislikes of the table "regulars" down pat. It upsets their timing and efficiency!

I agree with you completely, Ruth. I've been sailing the Prinsendam over the past three years, and the only "beef" I've had with that ship was that at my "fixed/early" seating, table for six or eight, they would place one or two people from open seating at our table if one or two of the "regulars" were dining elsewhere. It changes the ambience. If I wanted to have to introduce myself continually to new tablemates, I would have opted for "open seating" to start with! I, and the others at my table, made our feelings clear about that in our evaluations.

I had it happen once on a lengthy cruise, and decided it wasn't going to happen again. We were all very nice to the one-timers, of course, but after the meal I spoke with the Maître d' and explained why it wasn't a good idea---with exactly the points you made. It changes the ambiance, and is not what I signed up for.

I had it happen once on a lengthy cruise, and decided it wasn't going to happen again. We were all very nice to the one-timers, of course, but after the meal I spoke with the Maître d' and explained why it wasn't a good idea---with exactly the points you made. It changes the ambiance, and is not what I signed up for.

Actually I remember when we were booked for the PG and I had let the waiters know. I had a call from the DR manager asking if we were doing it and they could let someone else have our seats. I told them ONLY if it was ok with our table mates.

No one replaced us we were told.