Crown or Westerdam?

want2retire

As you can see I have been to Alaska a few times. We were considering the Crown but a poster here said there is no retractable roof on the one pool on the Lido deck. I guess I consider it a must for Alaska. Nice place to view the scenery without getting cold. Also, as we know, it rains in Alaska so this would be useless space on a ship with 3,000 people. If the buffet area is full you can always bring your food out there and find a table too.

I have been on the Amsterdam and really enjoyed it...so I am leaning toward Westerdam just for that area on the ship alone! Any thoughts? Thanks.

It looks like you've made up your mind.... if the pool area is so important, by all means, forget the Crown. The Crown is a beautiful ship, has new great entertainment but it probably won't be enough since a covered pool area is a deal breaker.

Alaska is fabulous. Enjoy whatever ship you choose!

I have to say I do prefer ships with a covered pool in Alaska.

If you have been on the Westerdam and enjoyed it - I would say go for it. I think the Crown Princess feels crowded in colder climates due to having 500 more passengers than the Grand class ships and not having a covered pool area for people to go when it is cooler.

Edited by Coral

As you can see I have been to Alaska a few times. We were considering the Crown but a poster here said there is no retractable roof on the one pool on the Lido deck. I guess I consider it a must for Alaska. Nice place to view the scenery without getting cold. Also, as we know, it rains in Alaska so this would be useless space on a ship with 3,000 people. If the buffet area is full you can always bring your food out there and find a table too.

I have been on the Amsterdam and really enjoyed it...so I am leaning toward Westerdam just for that area on the ship alone! Any thoughts? Thanks.

We would not sail HAL even if it's for free.

We would not sail HAL even if it's for free.

I thought my HAL cruise was fine. In some ways, they had some better features than Princess. They have smaller ships, they have a better space ratio, they had a great spa pool, they have a couch in every cabin, most cabins contain tubs, they had made to order items in their buffet..... It was a decent cruise. I found the age demographic pretty similar to Princess cruises the same time of the year.

Edited by Coral

We've been on both ships (Crown numerous times) and I would say go for Westerdam if the pool issue is important - I do like that HAL pools have this option.

We loved all our cruises on these ships and feel HAL and Princess are pretty comparable. We got a fabulous deal for the Westerdam and splashed out for a full suite which was divine - though felt the ship was showing her age a little. You will miss the Princess pizza (if you enjoy that, we do!) as the HAL pizza is glorified cardboard. HAL has lots of other things going for it, like hot room service breakfast and great passenger/space ratios.

I thought I posted a reply yesterday, but it didn't post. :( I have sailed on both, and I would chose the Westerdam without any hesitation. Besides the aforementioned Lido Pool with magrodome roof, the Westerdam also has a forward observation lounge (Crown doesn't), a nicer MDR, a better thermal suite (no thalassotherapy pool on Crown) a better passenger to space ratio (Crown: ~3,000 pax; Westerdam ~1,900 pax). Good luck with your choice.

It looks like you've made up your mind.... if the pool area is so important, by all means, forget the Crown. The Crown is a beautiful ship, has new great entertainment but it probably won't be enough since a covered pool area is a deal breaker.

Alaska is fabulous. Enjoy whatever ship you choose!

I'm booked on the Crown for May. That roof over the pool would have been nice, but I suppose the pools are heated and I've put in a request for a robe. I'll survive :D

Thanks to all. Will go with the majority in my group....but looks like they want the covered pool option.

I'm booked on the Crown for May. That roof over the pool would have been nice, but I suppose the pools are heated and I've put in a request for a robe. I'll survive :D

I like the covered pool area, not necessarily for the pool feature but it gives people another area to be when it is cold outside. When it is cold, everyone congregates inside and the covered pool area is another warm room and makes the other areas less congested. On the ships with out this, it seems more crowded to me.