03/01/16-24/01/16 - Norwegian Epic Live - Haven Spa Suite (H9)

SwissLe

Hello Cruise Critic'ers,

Welcome to my 1st live trip report. I really enjoyed reading some of the live trip reports on here over the last year and vlog/blog most of my travels in real time on other media; so thought this time I'd also add Cruise Critic into the mix.

Together we are going to be travelling on a back to back cruise on the Norwegian Epic departing Barcelona on the 3rd January 2016 for 21 nights. We're going to be travelling on the Morocco and Canary Islands itinerary for 10 nights and then around the Western Mediterranean for 11 nights. We'll return back to Barcelona on the 24th January for our flight back home.

As an early disclaimer there isn't going to be much culture of sight-seeing on this thread. I have been to most of the ports many times, and really using this cruise as a relax, chill and a resort in itself.

We are travelling in a Haven Spa Suite (H9) for the duration, so will have access to the Haven and Spa areas. You'll be hearing in detail about these areas as they will be heavily used. As a result of this category selection we have UBP (Ultimate Beverage Package) and UDP (Ultimate Dining Package).

Here is the journey in more detail, and what we've planned for each of port and booked using myNCL 100 days out on-board:

Sun Barcelona, Spain

We're flying into Barcelona on the morning of the cruise (nail biting for some, but we have lots of flight options as I am currently in London for the holiday period). Our flight departs London Heathrow, Terminal 3 at 07.55. We will be travelling to the airport the night before and staying at Terminal 4 (Hilton, London Heathrow). Our flight is with British Airways, so catch up with us in the lounge for a bacon roll and glass of champagne bright and early.

We've booked a Mercedes transfer from the airport for ease (always nice to have someone waiting with your name on the board and prix fixe). This was booked through Sun Transfers, who sometimes get a hard time on this site, who I've used before with success and good pricing.

A relaxing first day will be broken with a pina colada, come rain or shine, and a walk around the ship before a relaxing first night dinner; probably in the main dining room for flexibility of timing.

Mon At Sea

Our first day will be a relaxing start, due to the weather it will most likely be a lie in. The first activity will be the meet and mingle (see you there if you're onboard in person with us) and then a spot of lunch in the main dining rooms.

The cocktail party will probably take place this evening so we'll make the effort with a blazer and shirt. After the reception dinner for us will be our first speciality; with Le Bistro being our first taste of premium dining.

We've also a booking for Burn the Floor tonight, whether we'll get to it remains to be seen.

Tue Tangier, Morocco

Oh my, we've actually planned a tour here. It's my first time in Tangier, so I've planned a 4 hour whistle-stop tour of the area. I expect to be sold a carpet, be ripped off in the spice souk but balance this with some beautiful buildings and scenery.

We'll use the spare time in port to take advantage of the slides on deck, as this is probably one of the only fair weather ports on this cruise. Lunch today will be in the buffet, please don't 'hate on' me - we like the variety and all-you-can munch nature of the buffet when quiet. Not forgetting those incredible crepes!

Our restaurant tonight will be selected at random, risking the freestyle roulette. This is is due to our first time viewing Priscilla in the theatre and wanting to get good seats.

Wed At Sea

More of the same sea day action, some pool deck and spa time with a long lie in. Tonight will be our first Teeppnyaki of the cruise, it's a formulaic novelty - but I love it.

Thu Las Palmas, Canary Islands

Hopefully the rain will hold off today as we have our first port without a tour booked. We'll start the morning with an on-shore jog and then into the spa for a cool down. We're eating in Le Bistro again tonight, purely because myNCL wouldn't let me book a suitable time in Cagneys on this night, we may change this on-board.

Fri Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands

Another port without a tour, but I've been here before and really love the city. A stroll around to see some of the marvellous buildings (old and new) and do some shopping for tax-free cosmetics and Zara.

We'll be dining in Moderno tonight, I am still unsure about this restaurant and it's speciality status. I've had much better meats and salad selections on-land, at much the same pricing. As it's 'free' why not give it another chance though, right?

Sat Funchal, Madeira

My favourite port. A European cruise is never complete without a visit to this beautiful, lush Island. We're going to skip the cable car and basket ride this time. I've injured my back last year and don't fancy running over the tarmac this time. We'll stay in the town, wandering around looking at the shops and probably take a visit to Blandy's wine lodge for some sweet, sweet wine.

I hope you've brought your towel as tonight we're going to get our meat sweats on at Cagneys. Truffle fries are making my mouth water just typing this out.

Sun At Sea

Sorry if this is getting boring now, but we're heading to the spa and gym once we've had a lie in today. A lot of nothing is happening on this cruise right?

Another visit to Teeppnyaki is planned for tonight, but unsure if we'll actually eat there again so soon after the last visit.

Mon Granada (Malaga), Spain

Ah beautiful Malaga. No formal tour planned, but we'll be wandering around the shops, having some Estrella and taking in the beauty of this bustling little city.

We may take a trip further in land to grab a healthy meal and smoothy from a little Terra Sana to balance the damage being done later at our visit to Le Bistro again for dinner

Tue At Sea

Can you guess yet? Sleeping, eating and relaxing. No plans for dinner tonight, maybe another outing to Cagneys? We've plenty of time to decide.

Wed Barcelona, Spain

Annnnd we're back in Barcelona. What a great city this is. Today we're going to take a GoCar around the city. Mixed in with a couple of Torro Blanco beer and Tapas. We'll be back on board to meet all those joining us on the 13th sailing. If you're still with me at this point we've another 11 days of this 'heavy schedule'.

Tonight we're going to dine again in the main restaurants for ease.

Thu At Sea

No prizes for this one sorry, we're very predictable aren't we? Predictably relaxed by this point. Perhaps another shave today?

For dinner we've booked Teeppnyaki, plans subject to change.

Fri Cagliari, Sardinia

We're going on a morning run here, but we don't have much planned other than this. We're expecting fair to cold weather on this rotation, so maybe an impromptu walk around the local sights?

Dinner tonight in La Cucina, for that real italian feel ... urrr ... well more like for something different to do! Will it be better or worse with the tree gone?

Sat At Sea

Need we say more? By this stage we'll even be too fat for the repelling wall, so a kindle and cocktail?

Dinner tonight is in Cagneys, so you better like it beefy.

Sun Palermo, Sicily

Ayyyyyyyeeee, we'll be taking a walk around the town and then have lunch off shore. Some beautiful fresh food in a cafe/bar sounds great to me, what about you?

Dinner tonight is in Le Bistro, c'est bon!

Mon At Sea

As above. Drink and repeat.

No plans for dinner tonight, maybe you can choose?

Tue Naples, Italy

I am not a fan of this particular port. We'll be spending the day onboard again, with a few spa treatments and some relaxing quiet time with everyone else on shore.

Again no firm plans for dinner, lets be European and not plan too much!

Wed Rome (Civitavecchia)

Good news, you'll have something to read at this port. We're going to catch the train into Rome, and then take a walk around some of the sights. This is the best time to take in Rome as far fewer people here at this time of year.

We'll be eating in the main dining room or even the buffet tonight after an exhausting day.

Thu Florence/Pisa (Livorno)

More good news, you'll have something to read at this port. We're going ON A TOUR! A jam packed day with a visiting both locations in one day. Get ready for the obligatory photo holding the leaning tower and trying to work out which one is the fake David.

We'll be eating in the main dining room or even the buffet tonight after an exhausting day.

Fri At Sea

Phew, after those two full on days we'll be needing another cocktail and spa day, you're welcome!

We've another Teeppnyaki tonight if we can escape the spa.

Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain

Oh we love Palma, a quick run up to the cathedral and then a mooch about town, last chance to grab some cut price Zara before we head home. Good job we've got excess luggage on the flight home!

No plans for dinner tonight as myNCL was being tricky, perhaps a main dining room for the last day?

Sun Barcelona, Spain

Oh dear, it's all over! We'll be dragging our oversized bodies and luggage off the ship as late as possible before using the port to airport luggage service. A day exploring the city before our flight home at 10pm.

If you have any questions or want me to find anything out for you onboard, just let me know. Please keep it friendly :D

will so enjoy reading your report especially the second half, we will be on the ship with you for the first leg of your journey

and like yourselves we will be enjoying the delights of the haven

only a few more sleeps now and I have cases everywhere with very little packed in them :eek:

Sat Palma, Majorca, Spain

Oh we love Palma, a quick run up to the cathedral and then a mooch about town, last chance to grab some cut price Zara before we head home. Good job we've got excess luggage on the flight home!

No plans for dinner tonight as myNCL was being tricky, perhaps a main dining room for the last day?

Sun Barcelona, Spain

Oh dear, it's all over! We'll be dragging our oversized bodies and luggage off the ship as late as possible before using the port to airport luggage service. A day exploring the city before our flight home at 10pm.

If you have any questions or want me to find anything out for you onboard, just let me know. Please keep it friendly :D

Hi! I will be thrilled to read your live post, we're hopping on at the end of January with the same itinerary.

I've already got two questions for you!

1) can you give us the name of the concierge once onboard?

2) cut price Zara... Got to know where!

Cheers and looking forward to your live report...

Hi! I will be thrilled to read your live post, we're hopping on at the end of January with the same itinerary.

And a follow up question to #1, how much longer will they be on the ship?

We will be on the second half of this with you. Our first time to Europe and our first cruise of longer than 7 nights. Can't wait! Are you not planning to eat in the Haven restaurant any night? We really enjoyed that on our Escape cruise a few weeks ago. Spending 2 days in Barcelona pre-cruise. Any suggestions for sight seeing?

Also, for those that asked, I am pretty sure Monica will be the Concierge. We had her one time before and liked her.

Bon Voyage and see you soon!

I'm sailing on the Epic 1/13 from Barcelona, so we'll be onboard at the same time :)

I'd love it if you could post what temperatures I should expect. I've been looking at average temps, but a firsthand account of whether I should be packing tights and jumpers, or plan for bare legs and dresses with cardigans would be extremely helpful.

I look forward to following this thread!

Edited by ExpatBride

Hello from London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Thanks for all your kind messages so far. I'll answer the questions next but I wanted to give you some pre cruise experience at the hotel.

We've been allowed early check in and upgraded to an executive room thanks to our HHonours status.

The room is comfortable, newly refurbished in a retro style with lots of plane/travel elements. It's a little dark but we do have a view of the airport (many of the rooms look internally into the hotel atrium).

Set your alarm as we're getting a cab to T3 at 5.40am tomorrow morning.

c94cab3c1e8f97fac2662ca2d25a2339.jpg

7406d8752ac91f5b1aa606410982a003.jpg

57194987ba503756860f99f3bfc97f2f.jpg

ef7ac87834362b8b7c23eef5819f22f2.jpg

Zara is much cheaper in its home market of Spain/Euros than it is in other places in Europe or USA (especially United Kingdom). There are large stores in most of the Spanish ports. I recommend the one in Tenerife or Malaga for their size and range. They also have really good sales at this time of year.

Will be sure to find out the name of the Conceirge and do a selfie so you can easily identify.

I'm sailing on the Epic 1/13 from Barcelona, so we'll be onboard at the same time :)

I'd love it if you could post what temperatures I should expect. I've been looking at average temps, but a firsthand account of whether I should be packing tights and jumpers, or plan for bare legs and dresses with cardigans would be extremely helpful.

I look forward to following this thread!

Oh gosh! I've brought everything. I am expecting warm-ish and dry for the first sector and then cooler (but not cold) for the second half. Europe is currently having a lot of rain so I have layers that are waterproof but can strip away. The temps in Rome etc should be around 10-15oC which is OK for Europeans but freezing for those from New Mexico!

Onboard during the evening I am normally warm so have some short sleeved shirts but with a cardigan to prepare for someone pumping up the AC.

Oh and disclaimer, I am a man [emoji12]

We are looking at the Family Haven. Can you tell me if the Speciality Dining is for guests 3 and 4 and 5 in the room as well?

No, at least not with the European terms and conditions. For guests 1 and 2 only.

You can purchase the package for the other guests using myNCL.

We will be on the second half of this with you. Our first time to Europe and our first cruise of longer than 7 nights. Can't wait! Are you not planning to eat in the Haven restaurant any night? We really enjoyed that on our Escape cruise a few weeks ago. Spending 2 days in Barcelona pre-cruise. Any suggestions for sight seeing?

Also, for those that asked, I am pretty sure Monica will be the Concierge. We had her one time before and liked her.

Bon Voyage and see you soon!

I tend to breakfast and occasionally lunch in the Haven. It can get a little same-y for dinner, but that's just my personal view. I can see why many love it.

Barcelona is a great city. There are the usual sightseeing opportunities - going inside sagrada familia is a really special experience with the light coming through.

For something a little different have a look for the tapas tours. They are really fun to meet other tourists and also have an experienced guide with you to show the ropes.

The cable car to the beach is great, as is the W hotel for dinner.

Hey Swissle! I'm on the roll call so I recognise you from there, but guess what, I'll be on the same flight as you :D

We haven't set off yet (like to stay a bit later for the cat) but will be heading off in a couple of hours to check into the Renaissance Heathrow. Very excited and want to be off now!

Hey Swissle! I'm on the roll call so I recognise you from there, but guess what, I'll be on the same flight as you :D

We haven't set off yet (like to stay a bit later for the cat) but will be heading off in a couple of hours to check into the Renaissance Heathrow. Very excited and want to be off now!

Small world! Look forward to seeing you.

Enjoy your cruise and relaxation in an H9! Hoping for some decent weather for you, we canceled this cruise for a warmer land based vacation because of the fair chance on moderate weather. Having Spa access is a must if the weather goes wrong. :D

Also don't let the uninformed spa staff ruin your first spa day, from personal experience and some reports on CC they don't always recognize the Haven Spa suite access and it takes some unnecessary phone calls to get your complementary access honored by them/to get your Mandara Spa sticker on the back of your card. Sad but true.

Further more, interested in any noise issues you might experience from the pool deck on 15. We experienced some in #14135 but not much. A bit of a design flaw to put the most expensive Spa staterooms under the pool deck. :)

Fijne reis en veel plezier!

Thank you for your well wishes, unfortunately I am a legal alien in the Netherlands and don't speak Dutch.

It's my first time in a spa suite on Epic, but been on Getaway/Breakaway in one, will report back on the noise. It's not unusual for this location below the sun deck to be chosen for suites on many vessels.