Advice re: Ventura pricing please

genian_travels

Hello everyone and happy new year! I'm thinking of trying P&O for the first time on the Ventura 2nt taster on 16 Jan and have been watching the prices for the past 6-8 weeks.

As other cruise lines usually drop in this period and we're fairly flexible, we thought we'd wait it out and book late - however the price for a balcony has now gone up from £159 to £219.

In your collective experience, is P&O likely to reduce the price within 2 weeks of sailing or is this likely to be the final pricing now? I appreciate a similar sort of question was asked on the boards in Nov and I understand the supply and demand argument, but was hoping for an insight on very last minute bookings.

I'm not desperate to do the sailing and think £219 is a bit pricey as it is, but if the price is likely to drop I'll keep an eye on it, otherwise will know for next time :) Thanks

As prices have risen that suggests they have been selling the cabins OK, maybe only a few left, which is why they are not desperate to sell at a cheap price.

I would say if its gone up, it will not go down this close, and if you leave it there will not be cabins left at the grade you want.

I've watched a few short breaks and I must say they don't go down a lot - especially ones with Amsterdam in! I'm guessing a 2 nighter is probably Bruges and they go there a lot. I agree with you for 2 nights it's not that great a deal - don't think I'd ever go on a 2 nighter - just seems too short!

As prices have risen that suggests they have been selling the cabins OK, maybe only a few left, which is why they are not desperate to sell at a cheap price.

I would say if its gone up, it will not go down this close, and if you leave it there will not be cabins left at the grade you want.

Agree, the price rise indicates to me that they have sold enough cabins at that grade and do not need to sell anymore at the cheap level. So will they come down again, unlikely.

I suspect a number of people will add this on to the 28 night cruise that follows.

Contrary to, what a number of people, would like to happen the companies cruises are selling well now and the very cheap deals of the past few years are dropping in number.

I've watched a few short breaks and I must say they don't go down a lot - especially ones with Amsterdam in! I'm guessing a 2 nighter is probably Bruges and they go there a lot. I agree with you for 2 nights it's not that great a deal - don't think I'd ever go on a 2 nighter - just seems too short!

I have also noticed this. Although it looks as though the price has increased what has probably happened is that the lower grade cabins have sold and so you are left with higher grade prices which probably won't drop.

I should say £159 per person on a Balcony on a two nighter to Bruges is cheapest it will ever go. If you like Guernsey I think you can get there for the same money on a two nighter but the on board Duty Free shop opens on cruises to this port (unlike Bruges where there are complications like a 20% hike on perfume etc.) and you can get 200 cigarettes per passenger for £23.00 - £35.00. In my local shop these are £70.00 - £85.00 a saving of nearly £50.00 per passenger but as a non-smoker I do not smoke the cigarettes I buy. You are not allowed to sell these on to work colleagues at a good price at all but you can give them as gifts like I do.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I have also noticed this. Although it looks as though the price has increased what has probably happened is that the lower grade cabins have sold and so you are left with higher grade prices which probably won't drop.

Thanks for all your responses - the above makes sense, but I was hoping P&O would still lower the price to make some money rather than sail with the cabins empty...?

I generally don't pay more than £100/night for a balcony cabin, so £219 is more than I'm prepared to pay for a taster cruise on a line I've not sailed with before and not sure about. I've sailed more than a dozen cruises, mainly with Celebrity and Princess.

I recently sailed on the Norwegian Escape one night taster having never tried NCL before, and paid £139 about 10 months before the sailing - as it was a new ship I thought it was worth the extra - but then over the summer a cruise company offered me the trip for £49pp, so I'm wary of getting stung again.

Thanks for all your responses - the above makes sense, but I was hoping P&O would still lower the price to make some money rather than sail with the cabins empty...?

I generally don't pay more than £100/night for a balcony cabin, so £219 is more than I'm prepared to pay for a taster cruise on a line I've not sailed with before and not sure about. I've sailed more than a dozen cruises, mainly with Celebrity and Princess.

I recently sailed on the Norwegian Escape one night taster having never tried NCL before, and paid £139 about 10 months before the sailing - as it was a new ship I thought it was worth the extra - but then over the summer a cruise company offered me the trip for £49pp, so I'm wary of getting stung again.

Do you ever stay in hotels?

To pay less than £100 per night for a good room, in a decent hotel , with all food thrown in , in the UK , you would be hard pressed to do.

If you think you are being stung then ofcourse do not book it.

Basically though P and O is a business, and has to make money. If it sells the cabins too cheap, and the people who book them do not spend a lot on board, they will actually be more out of pocket.

I do not follow prices to the Nth degree, but if ships are being filled more at the higher fares, then maybe the really really cheap deals will go.

I for one would not complain. I do not want P and O to go too far down the greasy pole of cheap prices and cutting corners.

Do you ever stay in hotels?

To pay less than £100 per night for a good room, in a decent hotel , with all food thrown in , in the UK , you would be hard pressed to do.

If you think you are being stung then ofcourse do not book it.

Basically though P and O is a business, and has to make money. If it sells the cabins too cheap, and the people who book them do not spend a lot on board, they will actually be more out of pocket.

I do not follow prices to the Nth degree, but if ships are being filled more at the higher fares, then maybe the really really cheap deals will go.

I for one would not complain. I do not want P and O to go too far down the greasy pole of cheap prices and cutting corners.

Funnily enough, I do stay at very good spa in the UK where you get bed, breakfast, lunch, dinner and treatments thrown in for £99pppn - so that's how I set my benchmark really (especially given how expensive spas are on ships).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - I've not even booked the cruise so I have nothing to complain about! I'm merely trying to gather information so I can be better informed for next time as I missed the boat, so to speak, this time.

With that in mind, another question on topic - aren't 2nt taster cruises designed to entice first-timers to the line/ship and therefore would make some financial sense to be offered at attractive prices in the hope it brings return business and loyalty, even if they have to take a slight hit?

The previous response about only the higher grade cabins being left now in this instance makes total sense though.

From posts in the past 2 nighters tend to be seen more as party cruises,with hens/stags.

If a newbie comes on the board and asks about going on one to test the water, most of the replies are along the lines of, go on a 7 nighter. It gives a much better idea of what a cruise holiday is like.

Everything is rushed on a 2 nighter, and its not really like a proper cruise.

I am pretty sure you will not be able to get the price you are hoping for demon-princezz and to confirm what the others say, these 2 nighters are promoted as party cruises rather than tasters as they are very different in nature to even a cruise of 4 /5 nights.

I do these very often as I live near Southampton and I really enjoy them, but they are quite rushed as everyone is trying to cram a lot in to a very short time.

There have been lots of groups/families celebrating birthdays, anniversaries and of course, hens and stags. Having said that, my experience with these groups has always been good. They are fun and add to the atmosphere of what is essentially a party cruise, not a taster of the real thing. Yes, you sample a couple of nights on board, but the pace is very different.

We look on it as a weekend away in a floating hotel with a trip to Bruges thrown in and usually have a lovely time.

Thanks again for all your responses. I don't really mind if the 2-nighter is rushed - it was more to get an idea if we'd like P&O after all the other cruises we've done and not have to commit to too much time/money while doing it.

I guess I'll chalk this one up to experience and keep my eyes peeled for the next one. :)

Edited by demon_princezz

I'd recommend doing a four nighter with P&O to give you a taster. Two day cruises are so different to what it's really like on P&O ships and I know if we'd done such a short cruise we'd never have gone with P&O again but we can now accept them for what they are

Hello everyone and happy new year! I'm thinking of trying P&O for the first time on the Ventura 2nt taster on 16 Jan and have been watching the prices for the past 6-8 weeks.

As other cruise lines usually drop in this period and we're fairly flexible, we thought we'd wait it out and book late - however the price for a balcony has now gone up from £159 to £219.

Well.... don't and don't.

I'd view it as a lucky escape. If you want a real sample of P&O do at least 4 nights - our first cruise was that long and looking back it was just like a real cruise, just shorter. Many people report that 2/3 night cruises have a lot of hen parties.

There are pointers. Fred Olsen for example normally charge £10 pppn for included drinks. On their micro-cruises this rate triples, which is highly likely to be connected to consumption levels.

Don't try to wait for a bottom price ; it is pretty much guesswork. Buy when you are happy with the price. If you are not too fussed about it, then maybe hang on for a last minute deal, but if you actually really want to be on the cruise, don't.

It is a fools game worrying about what everyone else has paid. It is probably a certainty (or would be if it wasn't logically incorrect :) ) that there are a fair chunk of people who have paid less than you. What matters is are you happy with what you paid for what you got.

Hi, we have done long and short cruises. The only disappointment I've ever had with a short cruise is that you have to get off too quickly. I think it will give you a taste of the facilities on the ship and you will be able to ascertain whether you would want to cruise for longer with P&O - I am booked on a 3 nighter with Princess in April for the same reason. If you get groups on short cruises they tend to be hens rather than stags with a varied age range, you only really notice them for two reasons: printed tee shirts etc. at embarkation and the fact they really go to town with beautiful dresses on the formal night. I have never seen any trouble from groups on a short cruise they just bring a fun aspect. Also on short cruises because you get more infrequent or first time cruisers, they look on the experience through their fresh eyes and therefore moan a lot less because they aren't comparing ships or how much better things were 15 years ago. I also look for the best deal, shop around, set myself a benchmark and try to use my judgement when booking, this helps me to be more content that I made an informed decision at the time and got what I wanted. I agree that they do hike the prices on short cruises to maximise profit - if you think about it you tend to be able to splash out on a short cruise so they help you along, the things I have noticed are more expensive sail away drinks and more expensive hydro pool - not sure about the rest. Have a great time [emoji3]

Edited by Florry

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give an update for reference, the price of this sailing did end up dropping late last week to £179 and my cruise agent could do it for £169 so we booked and are due to set sail later this afternoon :)

I appreciate the previous comments about the best length for a taster cruise, but we've done enough of them now to be able to judge if we'll like the ship for its amenities, cabins, food, service etc and if it's a ship we'd like to go on again.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and advice on this topic.

Just to give an update for reference, the price of this sailing did end up dropping late last week to £179 and my cruise agent could do it for £169 so we booked and are due to set sail later this afternoon :)

I appreciate the previous comments about the best length for a taster cruise, but we've done enough of them now to be able to judge if we'll like the ship for its amenities, cabins, food, service etc and if it's a ship we'd like to go on again.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and advice on this topic.

Have a good time - pleased you got a bargain in the end!