St. Thomas as departure port

cruising_family

Hi cruisers,

I have a question and wasn't sure where to post it. According to one article I read, it lists St Thomas as a departure port for cruises. The way the article was written it means you start your cruise on the ship there as opposed to starting in Ft Lauderdale, Miami, etc. Do you know this to be true and if so, what cruise line? I appreciate your info.

Thanks,

Hi cruisers,

I have a question and wasn't sure where to post it. According to one article I read, it lists St Thomas as a departure port for cruises. The way the article was written it means you start your cruise on the ship there as opposed to starting in Ft Lauderdale, Miami, etc. Do you know this to be true and if so, what cruise line? I appreciate your info.

Thanks,

Google first hit for cruises departing St Thomas says:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/cruises-from-st-thomas-us-virgin-islands.html

ex techie

It really isn't very practical for the huge ships to embark/disembark in STT.

The flights from many cities are pricey, the schedules may be limited for people going/coming from certain locations, the STT airport isn't as able to handle flights so many like Miami and FLL. If it costs cruisers more to get to the ship, they are less likely to pay high cruise fare.

I think Seadream is the only ship sailing from St. Thomas. Lovely small shop with great itinerary - hitting ports most ships cannot. Of course the pricing is fairly steep. Also, getting to St. Thomas is far more costly, and time consuming, than reaching major cruise ports such as Miami, Fort Lauderdale or San Jusn.

Hi cruisers,

Thanks,

We have done it a number of times. It is usually done on the luxury lines, and never on the mass market lines. This year you will find Sea Dream with a number of STT round trips. In fact we ran into Sea Dream yesterday (New Years Day) on Jost van Dyke, and had a wonderful chat with some of the crew whom we have come to know over the course of many SD cruises. The Hotel Manager verified this year's STT round trips.

Edited by zqvol

We have done it a number of times. It is usually done on the luxury lines, and never on the mass market lines. This year you will find Sea Dream with a number of STT round trips. In fact we ran into Sea Dream yesterday (New Years Day) on Jost van Dyke, and had a wonderful chat with some of the crew whom we have come to know over the course of many SD cruises. The Hotel Manager verified this year's STT round trips.

Do you know of any ships other than Sea Dream doing STT round trips?

Do you know of any ships other than Sea Dream doing STT round trips?

Not sure what you have in mind ship-wise, but the Liberty Star sails r.t. from Red Hook, St. Thomas from December to May, and summers in Boston. She is 52 tons and has three cabins. More info at libertyfleet dot com. And there is a tall ship (3 masted schooner) that offers sailings r.t. from Road Town, Tortola. The Arabella is a 250 ton that accommodates 38 passengers. More info on both at sailingshipadventures dot com. These vessels are likely more for the 'ol Windjammer Cruise Line fans. :)