Best RT itinerary that includes scenic cruising of a glacier?

PalmettoTraveler

I'm really trying to make an Alaskan cruise happen this year. I'm trying to budget for it, so I need help picking an itinerary...and they are confusing me because there's so many to choose from!

If it's my first time to Alaska, is the "must see" glacier going to be Glacier Bay National Park?

The 3 most important things that I'm trying to get out of this cruise are the following:

1. To get a round trip itinerary (either from Seattle or Vancouver to save on airfare). I'm not wanting a cruise longer than 8 days.

2. To have one of the ports be a good destination where I can do a dogsledding/helicopter tour.

3. To see at least one "must see" glacier. I know I'm limiting myself with choosing a RT itinerary.

Also, I'm aiming to go in August or September on either Princess or HAL. Is September extremely cold?

Any info is appreciated! Usually I'm good at finding travel info out on my own, but cruises to Alaska puts me in information overload.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Some questions for you:

What city do you fly out of? Have you checked airfares for RT Seattle and Vancouver vs a multi-city ex South Carolina - Vancouver-Anchorage to SC?

"Must-see" is a personal judgement as is "good destination". Only you can decide those things. You need to do your research about what is possible in each port, create a list of what you would like to do, and then prioritize. What would you do in a port if your preferred activity is cancelled due to weather?

Check this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2238671

Edited by Alaskanb

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Some questions for you:

What city do you fly out of? Have you checked airfares for RT Seattle and Vancouver vs a multi-city ex South Carolina - Vancouver-Anchorage to SC?

"Must-see" is a personal judgement as is "good destination". Only you can decide those things. You need to do your research about what is possible in each port, create a list of what you would like to do, and then prioritize. What would you do in a port if your preferred activity is cancelled due to weather?

Check this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2238671

Thanks for the welcome!

The most important thing I do on this cruise is the dogsledding/helicopter tour, so I want to go with the best company. I think TEMSCO is one of the best from what I read. I would cry if that excursion was cancelled. Is there a month where it's more likely to be cancelled? Since that's such an expensive tour, I will just be happy budgeting for that and walking around other Alaskan towns.

I live halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta, but Greenville International (GSP) is the closest airport. I would save $200/pp doing a RT itinerary vs a multi-trip.

I have heard that some scenic cruising is better than others. I just wanted to see if everyone had a favorite that they would recommend over others.

So maybe something like this on Princess that essentially gives 1/2 day an Ketchikan http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=3638

Seattle, Washington

Saturday, August 13

4:00 PM

At Sea

Sunday, August 14

Juneau, Alaska

Monday, August 15

11:00 AM 10:30 PM

Skagway, Alaska

Tuesday, August 16

7:00 AM 8:15 PM

Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska (Scenic Cruising)

Wednesday, August 17

6:00 AM 3:00 PM

Ketchikan, Alaska

Thursday, August 18

7:00 AM 1:15 PM

Victoria, British Columbia

Friday, August 19

7:00 PM 11:59 PM

Seattle, Washington

Saturday, August 20

7:00 AM

Edited by Alaskanb

I just wanted to let you know that come mid to end of August and September, a lot of dog sledding tours are cancelled due to lack of snow.

Unfortunately - this date is difficult to guess as each year is different but if this excursion means a lot to you, pick as early in August as possible. Hopefully "laughinghusky" comments as she has dogs that do this.

I would pick an itinerary with Glacier Bay. It never seems to be missed!

Edited by Coral

Also, I'm aiming to go in August or September on either Princess or HAL. Is September extremely cold?
Are you a storm chaser??? Do you like liquid sunshine? September is the perfect month for you.

I like dry weather for my excursions... so the first week of August is my choice to meet your plans, otherwise July.

• In 2013 and 2014.... the second week of August was wet for my trip for half the days.
  • In 2015.... some ports were closed for a windstorm that second August week

There is something wrong with that second August week in recent years as Alaska kicks off the wet season going into September.

I also notice you want a stop in Victoria.... August or earlier will give you more daylight in Victoria.

I prefer HAL over Princess.... HAL has photo packages..... Princess does not.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks for the welcome!

The most important thing I do on this cruise is the dogsledding/helicopter tour, so I want to go with the best company. I think TEMSCO is one of the best from what I read. I would cry if that excursion was cancelled. Is there a month where it's more likely to be cancelled? Since that's such an expensive tour, I will just be happy budgeting for that and walking around other Alaskan towns.

I live halfway between Charlotte and Atlanta, but Greenville International (GSP) is the closest airport. I would save $200/pp doing a RT itinerary vs a multi-trip.

I have heard that some scenic cruising is better than others. I just wanted to see if everyone had a favorite that they would recommend over others.

No TEMSCO is not the "best", it's a great vendor, along with the other 2. ;)

BUT with your glacier dog sledding a priority, don't even consider sailing in Sept;

Just about all the round trip cruises include both Skagway and Juneau. So you would want to book your tour, at your first opportunity. IF canceled- then you would need to get right on your phone and try to reschedule it, either later in the port you're in, or in the next port.

I think HAL, round trip out of Vancouver has a good itinerary with both Glacier bay and Tracy Arm on the itinerary. It does require booking the add on Tracy Arm tour, which eats up the difference you note above.

I didn't even THINK about the weather affecting the tour! As in, no snow. The reason I was aiming for August or September is because my job's fiscal year starts over in July, so our vacation days get renewed then. Also, I was trying to avoid all the kids on the ships. But I could maybe look at the end of July and early August.

Are people allowed to give suggestions on which tour companies to use? I would book on my own (I always do this) so I can save on costs. I am correct that this excursion runs about $500/pp, correct?

Thanks for all the advice so far :)

I didn't even THINK about the weather affecting the tour! As in, no snow. The reason I was aiming for August or September is because my job's fiscal year starts over in July, so our vacation days get renewed then. Also, I was trying to avoid all the kids on the ships. But I could maybe look at the end of July and early August.

Are people allowed to give suggestions on which tour companies to use? I would book on my own (I always do this) so I can save on costs. I am correct that this excursion runs about $500/pp, correct?

Thanks for all the advice so far :)

Your "kids" thinking is a myth. There are not a lot of kids sailing Alaska, no where near the number sailing the Caribbean. I would NOT give that any priority with you selecting a cruise date.

Do not expect significant cost savings, but the vendors are TEMSCO, ERA and Coastal. Skagway only has TEMSCO. Juneau has all three. I have flown with all of them, all long standing very well run companies. Tours are at least $500

This is to say we have RT tickets out of Seattle.
fyi.... there's a popular $50 shuttle to Vancouver from the Seattle's airport. 6 to 7 daily schedule trips to fit your airline schedule. You want 2 or 3 days in Vancouver as it's bigger than all the Alaskan ports combined.

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]VWSku0Kg5RA[/YOUTUBE]

There may be no snow, but ice will be found in the glaciers.... I found a cold rain can really make the day depressing as you huddle to stay warm and can't see out your windows on a foggy tram or train ride. I am willing to pay a little more for dry weather on my trips by avoiding the wet months.... another option is book last minute after checking the forecast. Then again many say the Alaskan skies are unpredictable.

http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/ketchikan/alaska/united-states/usak0125

The number of kids was manageable on my Alaskan trips. You will find more children if you are cruising with Disney. They have excellent kids programs.

[YOUTUBE]XBhCGFGCc40[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another random question...

Would a passport be required if one of the ports of call is Vancouver? This is to say we have RT tickets out of Seattle.

I'm at the end of my 4th passport, so I've always traveled with one. IF you want to go to Ca out of Skagway, you will need one, as well.

In Hawaii, we did a Helicopter tour over Kauai and I know how little it takes to cancel that type of trip. That day we had the most beautiful weather. I feel like this tour, I have a very slim chance of being able to do it :(

We've been to Vancouver before, and loved the city. It would be cool to see it again.

More than likely I'll have to get a new passport :( I have one, but will need another one reissued due to a name change. That's why I was asking if the cruise doesn't end at a Canadian port but only stops there for a few hours, would I still have to give them a passport?

Another passport benefit is the ability to go on excursions to Fraser and beyond when in Skagway.

If you want to ride the White Pass train, there is a shorter summit return. But for motorcoach combo's... you will need documents to enter Canada.

[YOUTUBE]0xHCn0IkjUE[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another random question...

Would a passport be required if one of the ports of call is Vancouver? This is to say we have RT tickets out of Seattle.

Round trip Seattle cruises typically stop in Victoria, not Vancouver. You CAN do this trip without a passport, and you can get off in Victoria. You will only need a birth certificate and drivers license (or govt. issued ID), since it is a closed-loop cruise from a US port. As others have said, you would need a passport if you travel into Canada from Skagway.

Any info is appreciated! Usually I'm good at finding travel info out on my own, but cruises to Alaska puts me in information overload.

Hi (and Happy New Year)

If it's any help the Alaska Inside Passage playlist link in my signature below has short videos of my RT from Vancouver (Juneau, Skagway, GB, Ketchikan). All the best, Tony

Welcome to CRUISE CRITIC!

I am also in the planning stages of my first Alaska Cruise. I will gie you a short rundown as I am also doing this on a budget.

1) HAL Volendam - 5/11/16 out of Vancouver. Inside passage route both ways. Ports: Juneau, Skagway, Ketichikan.

2)Flying in and out of Seattle. Using Amtrak to and from Vancouver. With AAA discount $32 per person per way. Using Alaska Airlines from JFK to Seattle and Southwest from Seattle to Islip NY. Have $436 credit with Southwest otherwise would have flown home via Alaska Airlines. :)

3) Still determining excursions. Will start booking after final payment of cruise is due on 2/14/16. But have some ideas.

4)Flying in day before. Staying in Vancouver for 2 days, then 3 days in Seattle before returning home.

If you have any questions, please let me know. There are those on this sight that are more knowledgeable since they have already been to Alaska but I will give any help I can on my recent planning.

Enjoy the journey as planning is only the beginning....

For a lot of good information about the AK ports - including weather, excursions, and DIY options look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

I prefer the May/June time frame - good weather and low fares.

July Aug is the peak season and weather is often better (not always).

on RT cruises the chances to see sled dogs (on snow) is best in Juneau and Skagway using one of the Helicopter tours that land on the glaciers. These tours are done largely based on snow and weather conditions.

In 12 we were on the Tracy Arm Explorer out of Juneau, there was a family on the tour that was glad they opted to do their Heli glacier ride in Skagway as the weather in Juneau grounded the flights that day. Skagway was beautiful the next day

To see them run on dirt - the 40 below tourist attractions allows you to watch them - Caribou Crossing (in Carcross YT) allows you to take a ride.

I prefer the May/June time frame - good weather and low fares.

July Aug is the peak season and weather is often better (not always).

In my research - end of May and June have better weather (dryer) compared to July and August.

Edited by Coral