Flight Ease

jerseygirl3

We've used Celebrity's Choice Air several times in the past for one way flights to Europe when we've sailed a transatlantic.

This time we're doing Eurodam from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, so I checked into HAL's Flight Ease. The biggest difference is that with Choice Air, you can check flights on Celebrity's website, see what fare is offered, and book it yourself. With HAL your TA has to do it for you (unless you didn't use a TA). You tell them what flight you are interested (I knew we wanted the nonstop from Philadelphia to Barcelona overnight flight and we wanted first class seats).

HAL's price was 80% less than what American Airlines wanted for this same flight. The only thing is we had to pay for the cruise and air in full to protect the price we got for the flight, but we would have had to pay later anyway.

So we got the flight we wanted, with the seats we wanted, for a very good price.

Is Flight Ease work with Cathay Pacific (from Singapore-> to Toronto) ? With a transfert in HKK ?

Am I too late to use this opportunity for a cruise in February 2016 ?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

Is Flight Ease work with Cathay Pacific (from Singapore-> to Toronto) ? With a transfert in HKK ?

Am I too late to use this opportunity for a cruise in February 2016 ?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Holacanada

I have no idea. You would need to have your travel agent check for you. I don't think it's too late though. If you didn't use a travel agent you can call HAL yourself. You just tell them which flight you're interested in and they will price it

Purchased HAL Flightease for our Sudbury, Ontario CAN to Fort Lauderdale mid-February. The flights did not vary too dramatically, in price ( Air Canada ), but the best part of the inclusive fee, was the weather insurance. We live in the Near North , and weather is always a serious factor in winter travel. If there is a weather delay, the next available flight is made available, and HAL acts as an agent with the carrier. We are giving ourselves a one-day window for travel, but worst case scenario will insure that we will be delivered to the cruise, at the first available port. Any lengthy delay, a hotel is made available, at HAL's expense. This eliminates much of the frenzy of northern travel.

Should you have to cancel your cruise for whatever reason -- before final payment -- are the airline tickets refundable?

You know I'm not absolutely sure. I know if I elected to wait until final payment to pay for the airfare (we booked the flexible fare because it was less than the restricted, which was weird), it was fully refundable up until final payment. However, then the price wasn't guaranteed. So we elected to go ahead and pay. Now if we had to cancel before final payment, since final payment was not actually due yet, perhaps it would still be refundable. I guess I should have checked with my TA, but we have no plans to cancel unless for a medical emergency with family (or one of us), and we have travel insurance so I'm not too worried.

Should you have to cancel your cruise for whatever reason -- before final payment -- are the airline tickets refundable?

It depends on what type of flights you purchase. If you purchase non refundable coach than no. HAL also sells Flex air flights that do not have to be purchased until final payment. We have one for a TA this October. The flight will be paid at final (there was no option to pay now) but base fare is guaranteed. The taxes could go up. It is a FLEX fare.

One of our flights was purchase using FFmiles. I was able to call the airline and have our seats selected so we can sit together. I was surprised that the airline could do this even though the flight through HAL had not been paid or ticketed. But it is the arrangement they have with HAL.

Edited by Jade13

It depends on what type of flights you purchase. If you purchase non refundable coach than no. HAL also sells Flex air flights that do not have to be purchased until final payment. We have one for a TA this October. The flight will be paid at final ( there was no option to pay now) but base fare is guaranteed. The taxes could go up. It is a FLEX fare.

One of our flights was purchase using FFmiles. I was able to call the airline and have our seats selected so we can sit together. I was surprised that the airline could do this even though the flight had not been paid or ticketed. But it is the arrangement they have with HAL.

We also booked flex. But you should read the policy attached to buying flex. Your fare is not guaranteed, nor is your ticket, until you pay for the cruise and air in full. If you wait to pay for the cruise and air ticket until final payment, your ticket and/or fare is not guaranteed. Our transatlantic isn't until November but for that reason we paid already.

Skip To Content

Find a Travel Professional 1–877–932–4259

Help

Language

Search

PLAN CRUISE DEALS DESTINATIONS EXCURSIONS ONBOARD NEW TO CRUISE? ALREADY BOOKED

close

Flight Ease offers you convenience, competitive pricing and the peace of mind of 24-hour assistance while traveling to and from your cruise or Land+Sea Journey. Now available from 330 days to up to 4 days prior to departure.

Competitive Pricing

Provides current, competitive rates from multiple carriers.

Easy Search

Saves search time by providing only those flights that arrive and depart in time for your journey.

Immediate Confirmation

Your flights are confirmed immediately, at the time of air booking.

Next Port Protection

In case of airline delay or cancellation, we’ll take care of any flight changes, if necessary, to join the voyage at the next available port of call.

24-Hour Assistance

Holland America Line is there to support you with 24-hour flight assistance.

Please call your Travel Professional to book Flight Ease for your cruise. If you have a cruise booked and do not have a Travel Professional, please call 1-877-932-4259 or 206-286-3900.

See Booking Information

BOOKING OPTIONS

Based on your travel needs, Flight Ease offers two booking options.

Option 1: Flexible Fares

For those who want greater flexibility.

Pay at final cruise payment: No need to pay at time of air booking.

Flexible Conditions: When booking our Flexible Fares there is no fee for making changes prior to the cruise final payment due date. After the cruise final payment due date, fees up to the full cost of the ticket apply.

Option 2: Restricted Fares

For those sure of their plans; generally lower rates.

Pay at time of air booking: Full payment for air reservation is due at time of air booking.

Change/Cancellation fees apply: Changes to air reservations will result in cancellation of air booking and cancellation fees up to the full cost of the ticket. Air prices are non-refundable (no money back).

See General Terms and Conditions

Call 1–877–932–4259 Find a Travel Professional

WHAT'S NEW

New! Explore Europe Destination Guides

Video: Our Bold New Story

Suite Updates

Base Camp at Denali

ms Koningsdam

Video: Countdown to Koningsdam

Koningsdam in the Caribbean

Family Staterooms

OUR COMPANY

About Us

News

Safety & Security

Mission & Values

Sustainability

Charters and Incentives

Awards

World's Leading Cruise Lines

Careers

Cruise-A-Nality

Introducing fathom

PLAN A CRUISE

Find Cruises

Cruise Deals

Destinations

Ports & Excursions

Flights & Transfers

Cancellation Protection Plans

E-Brochures

Group Cruises

Hotel Packages

Find a Travel Professional

Order a Brochure

Request a Quote

GET IN TOUCH

Contact Us

Customer Service

FOR TRAVEL PROFESSIONALS

PartnerSHIPS icon

FOR BOOKED GUESTS

Plan Flights & Transfers

Book Shore Excursions

Reserve Specialty Dining

Explore Gifts, Indulgences & Spa

Check In Online

Holland America Line Shop

CULINARY COUNCIL

Le Cirque

Pinnacle Grill

Guest Chefs

OFFERS & PROMOTIONS

View & Verandah

Destination Guides in partnership with AFAR

Big Band Cruise

Untamed Alaska

Caribbean Getaways

Mediterranean Savings

Antarctica & South America

Cruise Summer 2017

Explore the Far East

Northern Europe

Australia & South Pacific

Grand Voyages

Canada/New England

Bermuda Cruises

Elegant ms Prinsendam

Panama Canal Cruises

Last-Minute Cruise Deals

Email icon Sign up for Special Offers

Win a cruise icon Enter to win a cruise

The Holland America Line Rewards Visa[emoji768] CardHolland America Line Rewards Visa[emoji768] Card

Facebook - opens new window Google + - opens new window Twitter - opens new window Pinterest - opens new window Youtube - opens new window Blog - opens new window Instagram - opens new window

PartnerSHIPS Portal Site Map Privacy Policy Cruise Contract Website Terms & Conditions Passenger Bill of Rights

[emoji767] 2001 - 2016 Holland America Line N.V., 300 Elliott Avenue West, Seattle, WA 98119 USA. All Rights Reserved.

Check In

Find Cruises

Mariner Society

We also booked flex. But you should read the policy attached to buying flex. Your fare is not guaranteed, nor is your ticket, until you pay for the cruise and air in full. If you wait to pay for the cruise and air ticket until final payment, your ticket and/or fare is not guaranteed. Our transatlantic isn't until November but for that reason we paid already.

I have asked twice and so has my TA. It is not possible to pay for the air in advance on this ticket as is the case with some fares and airline contracts with HAL, but it is still considered a FLEX fare because the payment is made at final.

I asked all of these questions because the Celebrity FLEX/tickets that do not have to paid until final only guarantee the routing and not actual airline. I wanted to make sure I would be on the same flight with my DH. This is for a transatlantic cruise.

We have been told four times by HAL and by the airline directly that the fare is guaranteed and amount is on our invoice. I was also able to call the airline and get a seat assignment. I asked the airline and every arrangement is different but the one they have with HAL is that all of the bookings will be paid in bulk at final payment. The only possible change would be if the taxes go up but it would be minor since I believe I paid about 6.00 on the ticket that I purchased with FFmiles. I was surprised that the airline had my DH in the system and could give a seat assignment allow we had not paid.

Again, I wanted to pay in advance but it was not an option on this ticket. Every airline arrangement with HAL is different.

Edited by Jade13

I have asked twice and so has my TA. It is not possible to pay for the air in advance on this ticket as is the case with some fares and airline contracts with HAL, but it is still considered a FLEX fare because the payment is made at final.

I asked all of these questions because the Celebrity FLEX/tickets that do not have to paid until final only guarantee the routing and not actual airline. I wanted to make sure I would be on the same flight with my DH. This is for a transatlantic cruise.

We have been told four times by HAL and by the airline directly that the fare is guaranteed and amount is on our invoice. I was also able to call the airline and get a seat assignment. I asked the airline and every arrangement is different but the one they have with HAL is that all of the bookings will be paid in bulk at final payment. The only possible change would be if the taxes go up but it would be minor since I believe I paid about 6.00 on the ticket that I purchased with FFmiles. I was surprised that the airline had my DH in the system and could give a seat assignment allow we had not paid.

Again, I wanted to pay in advance but it was not an option on this ticket. Every airline arrangement with HAL is different.

Jade, I just hope you're not getting incorrect info. We've booked flex and we did, indeed, go ahead and pay the cruise and air in full. In fact, that was the only way my TA (who called HAL and verified it) said the fare and ticket availability was guaranteed.

What worries me is that they are telling you that you don't even have the option to pay now. That is completely incorrect. I've got the credit card bill and paid in full invoice to show for it!

Did your TA email you the contract that stipulates your fare and availability is not guaranteed until paid in full? I will go ahead and try once again to email it to you. BTW, we also had seat assignments before we paid, but when my TA reminded me that our fare and ticket wasn't guaranteed until we paid, we went ahead and paid. So just having a seat selection doesn't mean anything.

Here you go. The first paragraph is from my TA; the second paragraph is from HAL's flex airfare contract:

"I called Holland and I was told yes it is subject to change unless we pay the cruise and air in full

Here are the general terms and conditions for the flights, you have Flexible as that was much less the restricted for some reason :"

General Terms and Conditions

FLIGHT EASE

Flexible

Prices and Availability are not guaranteed until the cruise and air booking are paid in full. No fees will be charged for changes and cancellations made prior to the cruise final payment due date.

Edited by jerseygirl3

My experience with flight ease was not so joyous. I paid slightly more with them than if I booked online myself. My flights were changed continuously leaving me to change my seat selections myself. Ultimately, I was changed to entirely different airlines with poor connection timing. One flight was delayed. The connecting flight had no partnership with the departure airline so it wasn't held. We missed our flight and had to stay overnight in San Francisco. We were originally told by flightease that we had to fight the connecting airline ourself first to get on another flight. Only after I was unsuccessful did they step in to help. Now I have to make an insurance claim to be reimbursed for the transfers I couldn't take and hotel room I couldn't use. Now, if this had been my error, I would have been glad of the insurance. When it's their bookings that led to the loss, their transfer and their hotel booking, I think they should manage the refunds! Just my unhappy views - although the woman I ultimately dealt with in that fiasco was a pure gem!

My experience with flight ease was not so joyous. I paid slightly more with them than if I booked online myself. My flights were changed continuously leaving me to change my seat selections myself. Ultimately, I was changed to entirely different airlines with poor connection timing. One flight was delayed. The connecting flight had no partnership with the departure airline so it wasn't held. We missed our flight and had to stay overnight in San Francisco. We were originally told by flightease that we had to fight the connecting airline ourself first to get on another flight. Only after I was unsuccessful did they step in to help. Now I have to make an insurance claim to be reimbursed for the transfers I couldn't take and hotel room I couldn't use. Now, if this had been my error, I would have been glad of the insurance. When it's their bookings that led to the loss, their transfer and their hotel booking, I think they should manage the refunds! Just my unhappy views - although the woman I ultimately dealt with in that fiasco was a pure gem!

Did HAL change your original flight or did the airline change it? I've booked with American Airlines, and this is a standard flight that they haven't changed in a few years. It's the only evening non-stop flight (which we've taken before), so hopefully it won't change.

Every contract HAL has with each airline is different and fares are different.

This is a direct non stop flight on Alitalia and there is no option to pay in advance. The base fare is guaranteed but the taxes could go up. It wouldn't be much since the tax is only $5.00.

We were told the flight / airline is guaranteed (of course as long as it is not canceled). This is important as one of us is booked on the same flight using FFmiles.

If a flight is canceled or there is a big change you have the right to cancel and get a refund. And you should have been able to select your new flights. I am not sure your situation on how you ended up with a connecting flight with no affiliation with the originating airline (How was your luggage going to be transferred or were you just traveling with carryon luggage?) Jet Blue? Southwest? That is a red flag to book that way in the first place. Did you know you were taking this risk?

As far as seat selections, regardless of how we book we always call the airline and book our own seats as far international flights.

We only use the cruise line sometimes for international one way flights for TA's since we often choose airlines that do not sell true one way airfare.

Edited by Jade13

Every contract HAL has with each airline is different and fares are different.

This is a direct non stop flight on Alitalia and there is no option to pay in advance. The base fare is guaranteed but the taxes could go up. It wouldn't be much since the tax is only $5.00.

We were told the flight / airline is guaranteed (of course as long as it is not canceled). This is important as one of us is booked on the same flight using FFmiles.

I didn't realize HALs flight policy varies from airline to airline. Our flight is the overnight nonstop PHL to BCN on American Airlines. I'm just happy the wine will be free flowing in First Class and the seats are fully reclinable so we can sleep.

I didn't realize HALs flight policy varies from airline to airline. Our flight is the overnight nonstop PHL to BCN on American Airlines. I'm just happy the wine will be free flowing in First Class and the seats are fully reclinable so we can sleep.

What kind of fares are they charging for first class one way. I didn't ask about that since we do not consider Europe a long flight. Not like a 16 hour flight to Asia anyway.

Also, did you just pay for the airfare or were you required to pay the cruise in full as well?

Edited by Jade13

We are not fond of HAL or Princess flight programs. They are not particularly flexible or user friendly.

We have used RCI and Celebrity flight programs. They are very good. You can check air prices prior to even booking your cruise. The website lists multiple airlines, multiple prices, multiple routings. You don't need to phone your TA or the cruise line to get the information. It is available on their respective web sites. You can book very easily. You can do one ways from your disembarkation port to a destination that is not your home. Last time we tried air was on Princess. It was a comparatively brutal process and CSR could not or would not get us a price on air home from Australia.

We have only used cruise air twice. We have always been able to get as good or better air fare on our own.

What kind of fares are they charging for first class one way. I didn't ask about that since we do not consider Europe a long flight. Not like a 16 hour flight to Asia anyway.

Also, did you just pay for the airfare or were you required to pay the cruise in full as well?

Well, American Airlines is charging $6,200/pp for a one way (which is insane, I would never pay that...well, maybe if I win the Powerball!!!LOL).

HAL is charging $1,200/pp. If it was a daytime flight we might go coach, but for an overnight flight, we really like those flat lying seats and all the other perks that go along with First Class. We arrive in Europe well rested and hit the ground running.

I just booked flex fare with HAL, and my air is not due until cruise final payment...However, the base fare IS GUARANTEED, the amount appears on my invoice...only taxes/fees could change. Then again, I can have it removed from the booking before final payment, possibly even re-fare with HAL for other air options(different airline).

the TA I have worked with for the past 10 years is VERY thorough and knowledgeable, we travel quite often and I have complete faith in what he tells me, as he would not steer me wrong.

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

Well, American Airlines is charging $6,200/pp for a one way (which is insane, I would never pay that...well, maybe if I win the Powerball!!!LOL).

HAL is charging $1,200/pp. If it was a daytime flight we might go coach, but for an overnight flight, we really like those flat lying seats and all the other perks that go along with First Class. We arrive in Europe well rested and hit the ground running.

Is that the price for First Class?? Wow that sounds like a deal too good to be true! We like to do a flight to Europe, land tours and a cruise back. Thanks, m--