Lack of "little kids" excursions

albeachrealtor

We are going on the Fantasy at the end of February and there are LITERALLY 3 excursions in Tortola that will allow a 4 year old.

We live at the beach and have a boat so we see dolphins all the time. Is that REALLY all Disney offers for kiddos?

Same goes for St. Thomas. The options are beach, sightseeing, and Coral World/Butterflies (which we did with Attison when he was 3 on NCL and it was a very enjoyable day).

I would have assumed that there would be more activities for children, or the ability for the parent to decide if they are capable of doing something.

My son would totally love to do a catamaran sail and snorkel...he wouldn't snorkel but we could bring his life jacket and goggles and he could at least swim/look.

So, my question is WHAT ELSE, can a 4 year old do in Tortola and St. Thomas? What about booking outside of the cruise line options (which we have always done before with or without the kiddo)?

DCL is very strict about age regulations on their excursions. THey always claim insurance regulations, although no one knows whether this is true or not. Many private operators have age regulations that differ from those of DCL, even when DCL uses the same operator.

My suggestion would be that if there is something you want to do, see if it is available thru a private tour operator.

While it sounds like YOUR child is experienced around the water and you are used to the idea of needing to watch him every minute, many parents are not familiar with water safety issues. Unfortunately, DCL must make rules for the masses, not for the kid or parent who is used to these activities.

St Thomas--you can do a beach on your own. Coki Beach is right across the parking lot from Coral World, is free, and is a decent snorkel beach. Another alternative, you can ride the cable car to the top of the "mountain." Almost any activity that can be booked thru DCL is also available privately!

When booking outside of the cruise line options I have never had an issue with age restrictions. We bring a life jacket for our son (not just a puddle jumper) and no one has ever given us any beef.

That is because the retailer of that excursion doesn't have the liabilities DCL do.

If you think about it, DCL are selling you that excursion thru the other company.

They are liable if anyone is hurt on it, as well as the provider.

And how many times a week are Disney sued falsely for minor slips, trips and falls? Or for disappointment, stress and emotional damage caused yada yada yada.

They have to have a legal team to fend off the obvious fraudsters, fakers and opportunists trying to make a quick buck from suing such a large corporate organization.

Unfortunately thats the way it is for DCL and most likely other cruise lines, however some may have lower or more lax age restrictions than others.

If you find an excursion that welcomes children under the age DCL recommend and they do not have a sole provider contract with DCL for them, then that is the best way to go for you and your family.

ex techie

If you've ever read the fine print on a WDW park ticket, a cruise excursion ticket, etc. there are all sorts of measures in there to prevent you from filing suit against Disney or DCL. On excursions, they specifically state that the tour operator is solely responsible, etc. Now, that won't prevent a lawsuit but it will make it more difficult for a guest to win one.

DCL is all about protecting themselves and making a profit. They pretend that they are looking out for your interests.

I noticed the lack of excursions when my kids were 5 and under age range. In St. Thomas We wanted to go to St. John/Trunk Bay but the ships tour would not allow them. I researched how to go on our own and we did. Now we always do it on our own as you get more time there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I COMPLETELY understand Disney's reasoning for not allowing infants on an open air catamaran. I get it. It just surprises me that they don't offer something like "jakes pirate treasure beach break and treasure hunt" or "swim with arial and the other mermaids."

Additionally, even things like the cable car (skyride to paradise point) which offers an infant price won't let me book my son. :mad:

My purpose for starting this thread was not to find out WHY disney doesn't have more for kids under 6, but rather to find out from those of you who had gone to these islands with kiddos under six what you ended up doing while you were there.

From my OWN experience, we went to St. Thomas and Tortola last year:

We had our 3 year old with us and in Tortola we got on an open air safari bus to west end where we got on the New Horizon Ferry and we ferried over to Jost Van Dyke. Then went got in another cab/van and went to the Soggy Dollar Bar. We enjoyed lunch and painkillers while our son played in the sand and gentle surf.

In St. Thomas we left the port and got in a van and headed up to Coral World. It was nice. We got to see the sea lion show, the shark show, walk through the bird area etc. It was enough of a "show" for our 3 year old, but I would imagine that your older kids (unless they are hard core into animals or something) would be a bit bored. It isn't cheep either. I would totally recommend you do this on your own rather than through the cruise ship. We got there about an hour before the ships excursions arrived and it got crowded.

St Thomas--you can do a beach on your own. Coki Beach is right across the parking lot from Coral World' date=' is free, and is a decent snorkel beach. [/quote']

When you say Coral World is free, I assume you mean for a 3 year old. Otherwise, there is a charge.

This is most likely what we plan on doing in St Thomas. Although Coki is small and thus gets crowded, the beach looks beautiful. And we like the fact tha Coral World is next door for an alternative.

Unfortunately, its the insurance companies dictating minimum ages.

I don't believe this to be the case.

My son, who is almost 3, has been on 6 cruises so far. His 7th, on the Disney Magic, is this coming Sunday. His previous cruises were on Royal Caribbean and Carnival. In past cruises we've never had an issue finding excursions for him- even when he was 10 months old! I noticed that Disney has a severe lack of preschool/toddler/baby friendly excursions which was disappointing.

We're doing Western Caribbean, so we have different options. We'll make do-I just wish there were other things available through Disney.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

When you say Coral World is free, I assume you mean for a 3 year old. Otherwise, there is a charge.

This is most likely what we plan on doing in St Thomas. Although Coki is small and thus gets crowded, the beach looks beautiful. And we like the fact tha Coral World is next door for an alternative.

You misunderstood my post. I did not say Coral World was free. I said Coki beach is free and is located right across the parking lot from Coral World.

I noticed that Disney has a severe lack of preschool/toddler/baby friendly excursions which was disappointing.

That is what I am saying!!! Our son is 4 and this will be his 4th cruise. Generally we book outside of the options that cruise ships offer, no matter what cruise line, and this will be no exception.

Ironically (or not) the 2 excursions that we have decided to do are both offered by Disney, but our son is not old enough. I did the research and found the vendor that disney will be using and they even ENCOURAGE kids to come. I messaged them that we would bring a Coastguard Approved Life Jacket (not just a puddle jumper) and they said that wasn't even needed. That being said, we will still bring them.

I COMPLETELY understand Disney's reasoning for not allowing infants on an open air catamaran. I get it. It just surprises me that they don't offer something like "jakes pirate treasure beach break and treasure hunt" or "swim with arial and the other mermaids."

Additionally, even things like the cable car (skyride to paradise point) which offers an infant price won't let me book my son. :mad:

My purpose for starting this thread was not to find out WHY disney doesn't have more for kids under 6, but rather to find out from those of you who had gone to these islands with kiddos under six what you ended up doing while you were there.

From my OWN experience, we went to St. Thomas and Tortola last year:

We had our 3 year old with us and in Tortola we got on an open air safari bus to west end where we got on the New Horizon Ferry and we ferried over to Jost Van Dyke. Then went got in another cab/van and went to the Soggy Dollar Bar. We enjoyed lunch and painkillers while our son played in the sand and gentle surf.

In St. Thomas we left the port and got in a van and headed up to Coral World. It was nice. We got to see the sea lion show, the shark show, walk through the bird area etc. It was enough of a "show" for our 3 year old, but I would imagine that your older kids (unless they are hard core into animals or something) would be a bit bored. It isn't cheep either. I would totally recommend you do this on your own rather than through the cruise ship. We got there about an hour before the ships excursions arrived and it got crowded.

They absolutely wouldn't offer something like "jakes pirate treasure beach break and treasure hunt" or "swim with arial and the other mermaids." type excursions as it would either require several CM's to be in attendance plus a Character, transportation for the CM's, or have parents who booked it and thought that Jake and the pirates or Aerial would be there, not just named after them and be at GS and Port Adventures complaining and demanding refunds.

And those CM's deserve time off, and island time off too.

even things like the cable car (skyride to paradise point) which offers an infant price won't let me book my son. :mad:

Has your booking window opened yet?

Only asking as the DCL website says:

Skyride to Paradise Point (ST23)

Port of Call - St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Prices

$21 (ages 13 and up)

$10.5 (ages 6 to 12)

$0 (ages 0 to 5)

Activity Level & Duration

Mild

Experience Type

Sightseeing

All Ages (5 and under free)

Also have you asked on the Ports of Call forums?

St Thomas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133

Tortola:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290

ex techie