Signature Suites

Av8tor

What is the difference between SZ, SY and SS cabins? Is it simply the location? Is there something "bad" about the two SZ cabins (8094 & 8099) that makes then the lead-in category?

We have an SZ guarantee, so since there are only two of them, we have a good chance of actually getting an SY or SS. But if we do end up in a SZ, is there a feature or quirk about them that might distract from the "signature suite experience"?

What is the difference between SZ, SY and SS cabins? Is it simply the location? Is there something "bad" about the two SZ cabins (8094 & 8099) that makes then the lead-in category?

We have an SZ guarantee, so since there are only two of them, we have a good chance of actually getting an SY or SS. But if we do end up in a SZ, is there a feature or quirk about them that might distract from the "signature suite experience"?

While it does depend a bit on the ship, basically all of these cabins are about the same. A year or so ago, HAL changed the categories, flipping the SS and SY cabins, so that should tell you something. I THINK the reason they did this is they moved the SS ones to a lower deck so that they now have cabins above and below them (which most people favor), while the old SS locations were mainly below the Lido deck, which can be noisy at times.

By the way, on the Westerdam the two SZ cabins appear to be in good locations, being below the Lido dining area (carpeted). It is a bit more aft than the SY cabins, but no big deal IMO.

As to the SZs, IMO what HAL did was create a category that they can use for promotional purposes. On most cruises, you will not be able to even book the SZ cabins until closer to departure time (like within 6 months). That way HAL can see how the ship is filling up and if they do not like the results, they can open the SZs at a low price point to attract cruisers, without creating an issue with people who have already booked at a higher price (like for the SY and SS). Very smart marketing in my opinion.

Edited by DaveOKC

As to the SZs, IMO what HAL did was create a category that they can use for promotional purposes. On most cruises, you will not be able to even book the SZ cabins until closer to departure time (like within 6 months). That way HAL can see how the ship is filling up and if they do not like the results, they can open the SZs at a low price point to attract cruisers, without creating an issue with people who have already booked at a higher price (like for the SY and SS). Very smart marketing in my opinion.
I agree ... and the same thing can be said about VH and HH categories.

When the Eurodam was first built cabins 10005 and 10006 were the SZ. Later they did some renovations to make them SU, and 5098 and 5093 switched from SY to SZ. With the re-categorization 5098 and 5093 were changed to SS, and 6106 and 6111 changed from SS to the designated SZ. As far as I know there were no changes to the latter four cabins other than the label.

Edited by jtl513

Pretty sure that 8094 and 8099 are SY - the cabins next door to each (8092, 8097) are SZ. :confused:

Pretty sure that 8094 and 8099 are SY - the cabins next door to each (8092, 8097) are SZ. :confused:

Correct! I never thought to check the numbers.

Oops, you both are correct. I originally wanted to discuss that the two SZs were bracketed by SYs, but my computer burped and when I rewrote the post I got the cabin numbers mixed up! Yes 8092 and 8097 are indeed the SZs and 8094 and 8099 are the SYs with the angled verandahs.

Hopefully the noise from the Lido or pool deck above won't be too bad if we end up in a SZ or SY!

Oops, you both are correct. I originally wanted to discuss that the two SZs were bracketed by SYs, but my computer burped and when I rewrote the post I got the cabin numbers mixed up! Yes 8092 and 8097 are indeed the SZs and 8094 and 8099 are the SYs with the angled verandahs.

Hopefully the noise from the Lido or pool deck above won't be too bad if we end up in a SZ or SY!

On the Westerdam, these cabins are right below the Lido dining area, which is carpeted. I like this as we never hear any noise from above. Being below the Lido pool area is a different story and can be noisy at times.