Question about changing staterooms

Vict0riann

We have a cruise this year where we will be changing staterooms after one segment, in Civitavecchia. I would love to be able to sort out a tour for that day, but I'm nervous about when we would be able to start off. I know people have said you just have to pack up, and everything will be moved for you, but I wondered about timing. Any advice, please? Should we just make it a DIY day and get off when we can and explore Civi?

We have a cruise this year where we will be changing staterooms after one segment, in Civitavecchia. I would love to be able to sort out a tour for that day, but I'm nervous about when we would be able to start off. I know people have said you just have to pack up, and everything will be moved for you, but I wondered about timing. Any advice, please? Should we just make it a DIY day and get off when we can and explore Civi?

as far as I know there is nothing much to see, or do, in Civitavecchia!

We took the local bus to Tarquinia had a wonderful time it is a beautiful town but everything closed at siesta time so be prepared to just walk around and enjoy the sights at midday.The bus does not run frequently so check with bus driver when he will be back.

You will have to be back for life boat drill.

That, too! Thanks, Sail. Maybe the best thing to do will be to see how the changeover goes the first time (not that we will be changing rooms that leg,) & what time the drill starts. Possibly, if I have the name of a guide with me I'll be able to sort something out on board, or even take a ship's tour. Just hate to waste a day in Italy!

That, too! Thanks, Sail. Maybe the best thing to do will be to see how the changeover goes the first time (not that we will be changing rooms that leg,) & what time the drill starts. Possibly, if I have the name of a guide with me I'll be able to sort something out on board, or even take a ship's tour. Just hate to waste a day in Italy!

Is it definite that you will have to change rooms? Is there a possibility that you could get the same room for the whole trip before you leave? I also would hate for you to need to "waste" your time in Italy, that is why I am suggesting this. If this trip is split up with different segments there is another thread we all were discussing how to pull cabins from one segment/whole cruise from the ship's inventory and use it for another segment/whole cruise. Just a suggestion.

The changing of rooms would have to be done relatively early since HAL will need your room ready for the incoming occupant (assuming they don't end up giving you the same room).

Timing will depend upon when the other cabin is ready of course.

By the way, we did explore Civi last time and actually, it has some nice things to see. We enjoyed our nice relaxing day with no long rides.

Ann, I know your belongings will be moved for you but my concern would be the logistics re the contents of the safe. How would that be handled?

We were going to have to change cabins once when booked on a back to back but our TA was able to have the cruise rebooked as a collector's cruise with one booking number so we were assigned a cabin to keep for the whole cruise.

Edited by sapper1

We have done ONE cabin change. Never again. Will stay home before doing that again. Don't for one minute think that all you have to do is a little packing and a cabin attendant will take care of things. If you are not there to see that things get done correctly they probably won't be. Staying in a Neptune suite and five stars amounted to nothing.

Maybe we will just cancel the TA!:eek: Actually, the first room is a room picked by our DD, two adjoining rooms on the LP. Then, for the TA (she is flying home from Rome), we decided to move to a verandah. So the move was our choice. I don't like the thought that we will waste a day changing rooms, but I want my verandah! Departure from Rome is 4 p.m., so muster is probably at 3. If we don't get ashore this time, it won't be a really big deal, as we've spent plenty of time in the area in the past.

Thanks for all the helpful hints.:) It's great to know all the alternatives!

Maybe we will just cancel the TA!:eek: Actually, the first room is a room picked by our DD, two adjoining rooms on the LP. Then, for the TA (she is flying home from Rome), we decided to move to a verandah. So the move was our choice. I don't like the thought that we will waste a day changing rooms, but I want my verandah! Departure from Rome is 4 p.m., so muster is probably at 3. If we don't get ashore this time, it won't be a really big deal, as we've spent plenty of time in the area in the past.

Thanks for all the helpful hints.:) It's great to know all the alternatives!

I imagine it will be a small hassle but not as big as some make out. No doubt about it, it's going to be hard to make concrete plans for that day.