HAL for teenagers

ShannonSC2

Trying to decide which cruise line to book for spring break this year. We have 2 other families wanting to go. Teens are ages 12-18.

Are there any activities for teens on HAL cruises?

Are there a lot of teens that go on these cruises?

We are use to NCL cruises where there is a lot of events and activities onboard.

TIA!

We just came off the Veendam. DD is 15. It was a Christmas cruise so I gather there tend to be more kids. There weren't a ton of teens but they found each other the first night at the meet and great in the teen club. The activities planned by HAL were not exciting to most of them so they hung out and did their own thing. The pool did not make for great swimming and there were not a lot of activities on the ship to engage in independently. But they were well entertained by themselves. DD loved the cruise but wondered if they might have been bored if there had been more sea days. HAL does seem to be more oriented to an older demographic or the younger than teen set (they had lots of fun kid activities planned for the 12 and unders)

Edited by chefestelle

I would definitely choose another cruise line. There aren't a lot of things for teens or kids to do. The pools are small and have to be shared with older people. There are no put-put golf courses, climbing walls or even any entertainment geared for kids or teens. We just got off a Christmas cruise with about 100 kids. We saw them (the older ones) sitting on the back stairs of the ship.

IF I were you I would pick one of the RCCl or Carnival ships. We took our grand son on an rccl cruise and he was entertained the whole time.

Good luck.

Come back and let us know what you decide.

We took 3 grandchildren on a HAL Alaska cruise; Our objective was to spend quality time with them as we don't live close together. The oldest, 15 mostly stayed with us but did do one or two other activities. The younger ones, 12 and 10 enjoyed Club HAL a little each day, but they all were just very happy to be spending time with us and the beauty of the cruise itinerary and it's interesting ports; they weren't bored, they said they can do "regular kid stuff" at home but there wasn't much for mid to late teen oriented focus.

Now that I think of it, their constant request was, "Grandma, can we go swimming?" So the pool held a top position for them, that and the buffet - feeding teens is a full-time job!

If your objective is for teen entertainment, I think HAL is not a good match.

But it also depends on the teens themselves. My girl friend took her 16 year old on a Carnival Caribbean cruise and after he spend out his daily allowance at the video arcade he was bored... even though there was tons of stuff to do.

How will they do without their phones? Just a thought... m--

I would definitely choose another cruise line. There aren't a lot of things for teens or kids to do. The pools are small and have to be shared with older people. There are no put-put golf courses, climbing walls or even any entertainment geared for kids or teens. We just got off a Christmas cruise with about 100 kids. We saw them (the older ones) sitting on the back stairs of the ship.

IF I were you I would pick one of the RCCl or Carnival ships. We took our grand son on an rccl cruise and he was entertained the whole time.

Good luck.

Come back and let us know what you decide.

:confused: :confused:

Club HAL is for children from age 3 through 12. The Loft for teens from 13 through 17. I sincerely think you do not know what you are talking about regarding your comment that there isn't much for kids to do.

Club Hal has activities scheduled from opening at 9 to closing for lunch at 11:30 . Same for afternoon and evening operating hours. The Loft for teens still has scheduled programs but teens do not have to be signed in and do not have to participate; the space is there for them to use as they choose and it doesn't close until the last teen leaves. Both my children have loved both programs and do not require the entertainment you mentioned. My guess is the teens you saw sitting on stairs were either 18 or older or chose to sit there to be in the sun.

Edited by 1of4

DD agrees it was not boring. There were different groups of teens on our cruise who hung out according to their interests. Her group were more into socializing and sunning. They disappeared all day except for meals (my rule) and seemed to have a really good time. They did spend a lot of time comparing homes, schools, media, etc. They were not keen on the Loft activities but they were busy and happy. They participated in the general trivia and got a kick out of it. DD did say it would probably be boring if there were more sea days but that is a reflection of how busy she likes to be and with the activities she prefers (hates basketball (there is a court available for those who love it), is indifferent to tennis (which you can also play on the Veendam) but loves volleyball (not available)). The Loft activities seemed a bit juvenile but even those could be made fun with a willing crowd. In short, there is no need to go to the Loft to be fully entertained but it is there so there's no excuse to be bored. DD thinks it would be fun to have a slide and better pool, would enjoy a mini golf set up but doesn't think they are necessary for her cruising pleasure. I think it really depends on the nature of the teens in question!

While you can find some teens onboard, the cruise line is geared for a more "mature" crowd and teens would have more fun on a line like Carnival or Royal Caribbean. Just my humble opinion.

It depends upon the child/ teen. I think HAL has made it quite clear with their new ship that they are trying to break the perception that is spread widely on CC that children are not a good fit. I think Club Hal is the best program in cruising, and yes we tried both Princess and Disney. My two like the programming in Club Hal better. The Koningsdam has many more quad cabins and in all categories including the new family oceanview that sleep 5 with the split bath.

Some of the traditional HAL cruisers do not like children onboard, and they go out of their way to make it difficult for children who are onboard but this is just my humble opinion and when they see well behaved children most tend to soften and enjoy them. We had a great game going in the Lido pool one afternoon with a water ball. We were thanked for bringing them (and the water ball) and were told by more than one person that it was the most fun they had on a cruise in a while.

I love the joy of young kids and the joy teens allow themselves once they start to have fun! I will disclose for better comparison that DD was horrified by the prospect of a Disney cruise...

I think your DD and mine would get along very well!:)

:confused: :confused:

Club HAL is for children from age 3 through 12. The Loft for teens from 13 through 17. I sincerely think you do not know what you are talking about regarding your comment that there isn't much for kids to do.

Club Hal has activities scheduled from opening at 9 to closing for lunch at 11:30 . Same for afternoon and evening operating hours. The Loft for teens still has scheduled programs but teens do not have to be signed in and do not have to participate; the space is there for them to use as they choose and it doesn't close until the last teen leaves. Both my children have loved both programs and do not require the entertainment you mentioned. My guess is the teens you saw sitting on stairs were either 18 or older or chose to sit there to be in the sun.

What are you questioning or confused about. I have given my opinion based on having cruised both cruise lines and having taken a teen/tween on a cruise of the cruise line he wanted to cruise on and I would still choose RCCL again. I am happy that your children liked the programs that HAL offered, but RCCL offers a lot more areas and things to do for kids, tweens and teens on a much larger ship/space. On our next "grandchild" cruise we will most likely cruise on Disney, why? because she will be younger than a teen/tween and from what I have read Disney is most geared to younger folks.

BTW: As far as older teens sitting on the back stairs "sunning" themselves. The back stairs of Amsterdam has a roof over it and four elevators facing it. Maybe the lack of sun made them look younger!

I think it is rude and insulting that you would say to someone that they "don't know what they are talking" about when you weren't there to witness what I witnessed. But since it takes all kinds to make a world I guess we will just have to agree that we disagree on this subject.

What are you questioning or confused about. I have given my opinion based on having cruised both cruise lines and having taken a teen/tween on a cruise of the cruise line he wanted to cruise on and I would still choose RCCL again. I am happy that your children liked the programs that HAL offered, but RCCL offers a lot more areas and things to do for kids, tweens and teens on a much larger ship/space. On our next "grandchild" cruise we will most likely cruise on Disney, why? because she will be younger than a teen/tween and from what I have read Disney is most geared to younger folks.

BTW: As far as older teens sitting on the back stairs "sunning" themselves. The back stairs of Amsterdam has a roof over it and four elevators facing it. Maybe the lack of sun made them look younger!

I think it is rude and insulting that you would say to someone that they "don't know what they are talking" about when you weren't there to witness what I witnessed. But since it takes all kinds to make a world I guess we will just have to agree that we disagree on this subject.

I was clear in my reply that I was responding to your definitive statement that there is not a lot for kids or teens to do. That could leave the OP thinking there was no formal program for children. I was in hospital at the time and on my tablet so could not make the bolding work. Sorry you misunderstood.

No doubt that teens who need entertainment given to them would be more comfortable on another cruise line. Our experience for children who are inquisitive and creative Club HAL is fantastic. The LOFT area does provide a daily itinerary of activities but the teens don't have to follow the program. I have never been on the Amsterdam so was only trying to find an excuse for why the teens would be sitting on the stairs. You are right I was not there and nothing in my post said I was.

Our daughter hated the Disney program. We loved our cabin but did not like the ship (Magic) because the lack of space to look out and see the sea. Everything on Disney is looking in towards Disney and there is not a quite spot in a public space.