Alaska Cruise Timing

Hi, I am starting the planning process for an Alaska Cruisetour for 2017. I'd like to do a land tour of Alaska before the cruise and then hopefully finish it off with a land tour of Canada from Vancouver. I've heard that the best time to go is July because of the mosquitoes, when unfortunately the prices are highest. Opinions please of the best, worst and "maybe" months to visit.

Thanks

I’ve seen it rain the entire month of May although May & June are typically the driest months of the year. There are so many things to consider other than the weather. If you’re doing a land tour to Denali you will want to go after June 1 when you can get back into the park farther. It’s the best chance to see bears prior to July. Our favorite time to cruise is the end of May first of June.

I don't consider May a good idea with wanting to take a southbound cruise- if you are planning on going to Denali ?

I've run into big mosquito problems in July, especially, Katmai, Wonder Lake etc- so not sure the source or location of the less mention? However, if staying in ports and cities the bugs are way less of a problem.

If you have a specific priority, such as visiting Denali or salmon fishing or a bear viewing, you need to be aware of the timing. ie salmon runs have peak periods and those vary by location. Successful bear viewing also has peak periods for various locations. And if you're visiting Denali, the park road doesn't open to Eielson Visitor Center until June 1, to Wonder Lake June 10

Thank you, everyone for your replies. We are from Maryland and this will probably be our only trip to Alaska. So we would like be able to see as many of the "must see" sights as possible. We are both in our early 60's and are not tied to any particular time window. Also, we are not interested in the adventure type activities. We like the scenery, wildlife, history, etc. If I can price it right, we would love to do a land tour on both ends of a cruise to be able to see more of Alaska and some of Canada.

If we go in May, late May - early June sounds best, so we would be able to visit more of Denali and the crowds of tourists won't be as big. July appears to be the most expensive and probably the most crowded and August is a mixed bag.

Weather wise, as long as it's not really cold, we're good. We have rain gear and waterproof cameras, so rain shouldn't be a problem, unless of course it's like the rainy season in Central America.:eek: The fewer mosquitoes the better. They seem to love me, even with repellents.

Time for more research!