La Coruna to Santiago de Compostela

floridafolks

After reading many reviews, we had planned to take the train from La Coruna to Santiago. I planned to just buy the RT ticket on day of trip. I looked at the RENFE site to get an idea of train times, but it said there were NO trains for that itinerary any date I tried. Can someone who understands the RENFE site tell me what is going on? I tried a dozen dates between now and my date April 29 and always got the same message. What am I doing wrong? (When check on RailEurope, they say there are trains for that itinerary.)

Thanks for your help. Also any advice on how to make the most of that excursions would be appreciated.

Trains go quite often. The reason Renfe is not showing is because it's A Coruna and not La Coruna (Departure from A Coruña, Arrival at Santiago De Compostela) I wouldn't bother buying them in advance any way but if you want buying time is around 60 day from departure so its too early for end of April.

Thanks HKTO. I had pulled "la coruna" off the RENFE drop down menu, but I see they also have "a coruna" so I will try that. I was not actually trying to buy tickets- just wanting to get an idea of the departure times to make sure they were frequent enough to fit into the port schedule without rushing, As you said, it looks like they run fairly frequently.

thanks

After reading many reviews, we had planned to take the train from La Coruna to Santiago. I planned to just buy the RT ticket on day of trip. I looked at the RENFE site to get an idea of train times, but it said there were NO trains for that itinerary any date I tried. Can someone who understands the RENFE site tell me what is going on? I tried a dozen dates between now and my date April 29 and always got the same message. What am I doing wrong? (When check on RailEurope, they say there are trains for that itinerary.)

Thanks for your help. Also any advice on how to make the most of that excursions would be appreciated.

Hi,

yes, its pretty strange, they usually have all the train schedules loaded 60 days prior to the departure date. I notice that April 29 is a Friday, the first Friday I see that lists all the trains is this coming Friday 1/15. But that will give you an idea of what should be available on 4/29.

With regard of what to do, I suggest that if possible you get a map from Santiago ahead of going there. This will highlight all the main monuments that you should see. Of course, the mos important one is the Cathedral. In the past I've found very useful to email/call the closest Spain Office of Tourism in the US, and they have sent me maps/ brochures of the cities/ areas I'm planning to visit: This link gives a list of those offices:

http://www.spain.info/en_US/reportajes-portales/estados_unidos/about_us.html

You can walk from the train station to the main square, Plaza do Obradoiro, where the Cathedral is, but it'll take you about 20 mins. If there're taxis at the station I suggest you take one, to save time. If you have not been able to secure a map before arriving there I suggest you visit the Tourism info office in Santiago at Rua do Vilar ( Google its location). The staff there can circle on a map the main attractions. I suggest you also visit their central market , the Mercado de Abastos. And do try their local specialty, pulpo (octopus). Its delicious!!

The Botafumeiro (the giant incense burner that swings side wise above the altar) sometimes swing at the noon mass. If you're interested in seeing it, I suggest you go into the Cathedral upon arrival. If you see the Botafumeiro hanging above the altar, it means that it''l probably swing at noon. However to get a seat you have to arrive at the latest at 11:30. Seat on the pews on the sides of the altar, not those in front.

Good luck, if you have any questions let me know. I love Santiago and have been lucky to be there many times.

Local knowledge: Tarta de Santiago is an almond based cake deeply associated with the city. Several shops 'hawk' it on the Rua do Franco and there are a couple of cake/pastry shops that sell high quality ones such as La Mora. However, I like to buy it off the benedictine nuns at the Convento de San Pelayo behind the Plaza Quintana. They make fresh ones every day and come in two sizes, standard and large, costing 10-15€ each and most delicious. When they open the hatch you say 'Ave María Purisima and they respond 'Sin pecado concebida'. All very quaint.

For others who are researching this journey, this other Thread has some info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2265980

I, too, found that the train schedules were not published very far in advance. I believe there are general times listed on trip advisor.

We had the best day there! Would love to go back!

Happy Travels!

Local knowledge: Tarta de Santiago is an almond based cake deeply associated with the city. Several shops 'hawk' it on the Rua do Franco and there are a couple of cake/pastry shops that sell high quality ones such as La Mora. However, I like to buy it off the benedictine nuns at the Convento de San Pelayo behind the Plaza Quintana. They make fresh ones every day and come in two sizes, standard and large, costing 10-15€ each and most delicious. When they open the hatch you say 'Ave María Purisima and they respond 'Sin pecado concebida'. All very quaint.

Thank you for that, I didnt know of that place. Love Tarta de Santiago! Will make sure I try next time I'm in Santiago!

• 3 weeks later...

Ferrol is to the north of La Coruña. There is a train that runs between the two cities but it's painfully slow considering the relatively short distance. By motorway and car it takes 45 mins.

The bus,1 every hour, takes about 45 mins. You would have to get a cab from the port to either the train or the bus station.

Ferrol is to the north of La Coruña. There is a train that runs between the two cities but it's painfully slow considering the relativssely short distance. By motorway and car it takes 45 mins.

The bus,1 every hour, takes about 45 mins. You would have to get a cab from the port to either the train or the bus station.

Thanks very much for your help.

Terri

• 11 months later...
Hi,

yes, its pretty strange, they usually have all the train schedules loaded 60 days prior to the departure date. I notice that April 29 is a Friday, the first Friday I see that lists all the trains is this coming Friday 1/15. But that will give you an idea of what should be available on 4/29.

With regard of what to do, I suggest that if possible you get a map from Santiago ahead of going there. This will highlight all the main monuments that you should see. Of course, the mos important one is the Cathedral. In the past I've found very useful to email/call the closest Spain Office of Tourism in the US, and they have sent me maps/ brochures of the cities/ areas I'm planning to visit: This link gives a list of those offices:

http://www.spain.info/en_US/reportajes-portales/estados_unidos/about_us.html

You can walk from the train station to the main square, Plaza do Obradoiro, where the Cathedral is, but it'll take you about 20 mins. If there're taxis at the station I suggest you take one, to save time. If you have not been able to secure a map before arriving there I suggest you visit the Tourism info office in Santiago at Rua do Vilar ( Google its location). The staff there can circle on a map the main attractions. I suggest you also visit their central market , the Mercado de Abastos. And do try their local specialty, pulpo (octopus). Its delicious!!

The Botafumeiro (the giant incense burner that swings side wise above the altar) sometimes swing at the noon mass. If you're interested in seeing it, I suggest you go into the Cathedral upon arrival. If you see the Botafumeiro hanging above the altar, it means that it''l probably swing at noon. However to get a seat you have to arrive at the latest at 11:30. Seat on the pews on the sides of the altar, not those in front.

Good luck, if you have any questions let me know. I love Santiago and have been lucky to be there many times.

Thank you for this wonderful information! We will be coming off a cruise ship this summer that is in A Coruna from 9-7. Counting travel time and buidlign in time to get back to the ship by 6 pm, do you think that this will be sufficient time to get to Santiago and see a few sights? And if you have any café or place to recommend for a quick bite, that would be terrific.

Catherine

Thank you for this wonderful information! We will be coming off a cruise ship this summer that is in A Coruna from 9-7. Counting travel time and buidlign in time to get back to the ship by 6 pm, do you think that this will be sufficient time to get to Santiago and see a few sights? And if you have any café or place to recommend for a quick bite, that would be terrific.

Catherine

Yes, do go!! Take a cab from port to train station. Check train schedules at http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html Most trains take about 30 mins or a bit less

I like these two locales where you can have tapas or raciones( plates for sharing)

A Taberna do Obispo http://www.atabernadobispo.com/

Restaurante O' 42 http://www.restauranteo42.com/

Both are located on Rua do Franco, one of the main streets that end on the big square (Praza do Obradoiro) where the Cathedral is.

What ship are you on?

Appreciate all of the great info and background on this thread, Tony's wonderful video, etc., etc. Very helpful and interesting!! We will be visiting La Coruna, Friday, June 16, 2017, 8 am-7 pm. Just starting to focus on the options for here and nearby. Keep up the great sharing!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 220,309 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 3 weeks later...