Livorno docking position and shuttles

welshfamily

We are on the Journey in August and are just starting our planning. We are fortunate enough to have an overnight here which is basically two full days.

Livorno is a highly industrialised port and the last time we were there with Celebrity we organised a private tour as there were a lot of restrictions put in place by the port authorities due to Health and safety. These restrictions meant that taxi's were not allowed in though the port gates and cruisers had to be shuttled off the port ( port shuttle/free) or in to the town (Celebrity cost $15). The company we used (Not sure we are allowed to say) had a licence to come directly to the ship.

Does anyone know where the Journey will dock in Livorno? I have read a lot about Azamara running free shuttles when docking in industrialised ports. We experienced this last year in Crete and were delighted but are not sure this is always the case. Has anyone any first hand knowledge.

We are keen to go to Florence and Lucca both of which are easy train journies but getting to the Station is an issue. Friends used the Celebrity shuttle then local bus to station and found this a chore due to long queues and delays.

If anyone has advice please share.

Thank you

Do you know how many ships will be in port that day? If not many, especially the smaller ships, you'll likely dock at Molo Capitaneria, which is to the north of the base of the Via Grande. This is where we've docked the times we've called to Livorno from R ships, the last one being in late Fall 2015.

This area's not the industrial port part, but it is still a bit of a trek to the town centre where the shuttles from the ships berthing in the industrial part go. However, I think there is a bus stop for the bus to the Train Station near the base of the Via Grande (so 10-15 mins easy walking from the ship), but I don't know where you could get the bus tickets near that stop. Hopefully this link gives you an idea on the docking spot and the bus stop:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Molo+Capitaneria/Livorno+C.Le,+Livorno,+Province+of+Livorno,+Italy/@43.5560021,10.3009315,6363m/am=t/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x12d5e983e106d619:0xf456b93f60824c85!2m2!1d10.3004826!2d43.5499574!1m5!1m1!1s0x12d5ebe303476dc5:0x711d5a840ca3f9f4!2m2!1d10.3363995!2d43.5542135!3e3!5i1?hl=en

You can take the train, but if not going there the first day so that you can leave Florence as late as the trains will allow, it will eat into your time in Florence if you don't catch it during the peak early period where the wait/wasted time is low.

I am arranging a tour to Greve in Chianti and some other stops in the Chianti region and then tour operator will pick us up right by the gangway. Each time we docked in Livorno, tour operators pick us up at the ship.

Also, it's not uncommon for the trains to strike. It happened when we were las there.

Edited by midwestchick

Good to know thanks. We have used the train many times to go to Rome from a cruise ship with no problems.

We have been to Florence, Pisa and Lucca before. We would like to return to Florence but are unsure what do do on the other day.

Unless you are very unlucky I think it likely that the ship will park adjacent to the coastguard station in Livorno Port and as others have said it is an easy walk into town where you can catch the number one bus to the train station.

I have used an excellent driver for private tours many times from this port. He has always met me at the bottom of the gangway. Happy to pass on his details if this would be helpful.

Unless you are very unlucky I think it likely that the ship will park adjacent to the coastguard station in Livorno Port and as others have said it is an easy walk into town where you can catch the number one bus to the train station.

I have used an excellent driver for private tours many times from this port. He has always met me at the bottom of the gangway. Happy to pass on his details if this would be helpful.

Yes, it would be helpful. I like to compare drivers and prices.