NYC to Bermuda: Convenient NYC Hotel

ajtraveler66

This August we plan to cruise out of New York for Bermuda.

The ONLY sightseeing we care to do in New York is to see Ground Zero.

What hotel(s) would you recommend for us: We want something nice, but not outrageously priced. And we want something that would be conveniently located for getting us both to Ground Zero and to the Norwegian cruise ship the following day.

Thanks.

This August we plan to cruise out of New York for Bermuda.

The ONLY sightseeing we care to do in New York is to see Ground Zero.

What hotel(s) would you recommend for us: We want something nice, but not outrageously priced. And we want something that would be conveniently located for getting us both to Ground Zero and to the Norwegian cruise ship the following day.

Thanks.

Could you provide more details? Exact dates? Number of people? Hotel budget? If flying, which airport are you coming into? If driving, what are your parking plans?

Manhattan Cruiseport is on the Hudson River in the west 50's. Ground zero is all the way downtown, so you are going to have to do some traveling around.

You may be in for a shock when looking at hotel prices in the city...i would stay at the millienum right across from the freedom tower. .beautiful hotel...but its way downtown from the west side cruise docks

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Just my two cents' worth:

I think too many cruisers from out of town get hung up on the idea of finding a hotel "close to the port." Given the plethora of public transportation options in Manhattan, you're never really that far from the Upper West Side piers wherever you stay in midtown or downtown.

For someone who only wants to visit the 9/11 Memorial before the cruise, a downtown (Lower Manhattan) hotel as suggested by bda73 would not be a bad idea; in fact, I'd say it would be quite convenient. Although you'd be located four or five miles from the pier, the trip from hotel to pier would be quite easy by taxi--a straight shot up the West Side Highway (or whatever it's called these days) that would take around 25 minutes (depending on traffic).

I wouldnt take the subway with tons of luggage, taxi will be fine and yeah its still called the west side highway but it all comes back to budget. ..you are looking at 275 a night for a hotel.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by bda73

Just my two cents' worth:

I think too many cruisers from out of town get hung up on the idea of finding a hotel "close to the port." Given the plethora of public transportation options in Manhattan, you're never really that far from the Upper West Side piers wherever you stay in midtown or downtown.

For someone who only wants to visit the 9/11 Memorial before the cruise, a downtown (Lower Manhattan) hotel as suggested by bda73 would not be a bad idea; in fact, I'd say it would be quite convenient. Although you'd be located four or five miles from the pier, the trip from hotel to pier would be quite easy by taxi--a straight shot up the West Side Highway (or whatever it's called these days) that would take around 25 minutes (depending on traffic).

I bite my tongue every time someone posts that they want to find a hotel "close to the port" in Manhattan. If I were ever to stay in a Manhattan hotel pre cruise (highly unlikely), that area would be near the bottom of my list.

I'm not a New Yorker, but I'd put the cruise terminal in Midtown West; the Upper West Side usually begins at Central Park, although "boundaries" can be pretty loose. Chelsea, though, is well south of the cruise terminal...

However, the comment about the area around the cruise terminal being pretty bare and not the place I'd want to stay is valid no matter how you classify the neighborhood!

We do NYC every year and also sometimes take cruises from NYC, we always stay midtown close to Times square area, about a mile from the dock, there is so much to do and so many great restaurants in that area, Broadway plays etc, have done this last 20 years or so. Both me and my wife love the area, hotel staff knows us and have been upgraded to a suite on last few trips. Will begin planning this years trip soon.

We discovered the Michelangelo on 51st and 7th about 6 years ago and that's the only place we stay now, its not the cheapest hotel but its a very classy small place in a great location. Smallest room is over 400 sq ft which is large for NYC, we will book Hilton on 6th if we can not get into that one.

I bite my tongue every time someone posts that they want to find a hotel "close to the port" in Manhattan. If I were ever to stay in a Manhattan hotel pre cruise (highly unlikely), that area would be near the bottom of my list.

Indeed! :D

Like you, I haven't ever had the need to stay in a Manhattan hotel overnight. (Home is just a short train ride away from midtown.) But if I did, and if money were no object--a very big "if"--I would choose the East Side over the West Side every time. Either someplace in or near Murray Hill (the East 30s/Madison, Park, or Lexington Avenues), or the Upper East Side (anywhere from the Waldorf Astoria on Park between E 49th-50th, up to the Wales on Madison & E 92nd, or any of the swank hotels overlooking Central Park. After all, who hasn't ever wanted to stay at the Plaza?:)) While none of these locations is "near" the Hudson River piers, they aren't really a great distance away--a reasonably shortish cab ride.

Of course, prices at most of those establishments range from very expensive to out of this world, which puts them out of consideration for budget travelers.

For what it's worth, on the Upper West Side I'd probably choose the Beacon or the Empire; or (not quite Upper West Side, but near Carnegie Hall) the Wellington.

But money being an object, as it is for many travelers, in the real world I'd probably end up at a Hampton Inn/ Holiday Inn Express/ Courtyard or a similar chain hotel. These are in plentiful supply in west midtown, and would probably suit most travelers on a relatively modest budget who want to spend a night or two in Manhattan before a cruise.

Just my three cents' worth.

Edited by Post Captain

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Washington Street in the Financial District last weekend and the rate was $104/night. Short walk to the 1 train on Rector Street and very close walk to the 911 Memorial. Around the block from the W which was over $400 for the same dates. Also, very easy to eat at Brookfield Place which is at the PATH station. Very clean and safe area. Uber came less than 5 minutes whenever we called.

I think this is evolving into a very cool thread. Now that I've been to NYC only one time (yep, I stayed at the Skyline, "near the cruise terminal"), I realise how "close" various neighbourhoods actually are. Honestly, to me, a walk of half hour or less is close. I think this is a great thread, where people post their great hotel "finds". Thank you all.

If you are staying on a weekend night the Financial District has awesome deals. Search Hotwire for a 4 or even 5 star in Financial District. I've also seen awesome deals on Travel Zoo. In August the Financial District in general is slow. The big shots are all in the Hamptons.

If you are staying on a weekend night the Financial District has awesome deals. Search Hotwire for a 4 or even 5 star in Financial District. I've also seen awesome deals on Travel Zoo. In August the Financial District in general is slow. The big shots are all in the Hamptons.

I totally agree with this. I have observed the same thing every August. You want to see the 911 memorial. Downtown is the place to be.

What is your exact date? If you feel you must have a reservation now, book a cancellable hotel and watch the prices.