Escape or Epic

dorlene

Looking to do a b2b, Escape goes to same itinerary for both cruises St. Thomas, Tortola, Nassau and Epic goes to a St Thomas, Tortola, Great Stirrup (2), Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Ocho Rios. Escape is a new ship, is it that much better than Epic that doing the same itinerary would be worth it?

I have been on Epic and Breakaway (similar to Escape). Epic just came out of a major refurbishment but the new Escape will cost more. To me Escape comes out on top for bathroom design (non suite), spa thermal suite, water slides, ropes course, promenade with outdoor dining seating, better Haven, public areas with an ocean view and variety of bars and dining choices. Epic will be similar in most other ways. Can't speak for the unique shows on Escape, Epic has the somewhat controversial Priscilla, Burn the Floor and a Cirque dinner show. Both are large ships so can feel crowded depending on when you cruise.

Edited by Boschmann

We have been on the Epic 4 times, BA twice, GA twice, and Escape once.

The Escape (and the BA and GA) were designed to be appealing to the contemporary crowd. They build upon what NCL started on the Epic. The Escape builds upon the BA and GA.

Builds upon = Makes better

So,,, the Escape has two generations of changes beyond the Epic. We sailed on the Epic right after it's recent dry dock (we sailed from Southampton to Barcelona). The ship has had a face lift (new paint, carpets, refurbished facilities) but the basic body is still the same,,,, a couple of generations old.

Go on the Escape.

We will be doing our second voyage on the Escape soon. Real excited about being back on the Escape.

i haven't been on escape yet, BUT I find Escapes itinerary much more appealing, but thats because I've been to Cozumel, grand cayman, ocho rios before, and I like St. Thomas and Tortola better - BUT if you havent cruised the western, I would do the Epic.

We leave in the Escape in 1 week. We cruised on the Epic almost 2 years ago. I would go on the Epic first and then Escape. Epic was wonderful, but it will be older. They have the controversial bathrooms, but we LOVED having a separate shower room & since we cruised with our young kids, we didn't mind the see-through walls. We also loved BMG, but that has evolved. Escape has more entertainment for the kids - high ropes, fancier slides, mini golf... I'd cruise older ship to newer so you have the new innovations to look forward to. From what I've read, perhaps the service will be better on Epic? Enjoy your trip!

Well the Escape's current reviews, while slowly climbing, currently at 50%, are still quite rough. Even when scanning the 4 star reviews, still lots of complaints.

Assuming the Escape eventually gets to some reasonable and respectable number, which has more of what you want?

Certainly a BTB to the same ports suggests the ship (s) are the draw.

Can you do a BTB on both ships?

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Epic! I've been on almost all of NCL's ships except Dawn, Breakaway, Spirit and Star - and the Epic is hands down my favorite. I love the aft view from the spa outside, I like the bathroom set-up, really enjoy the large balconies, and my favorite spot in Haven is the Casual Coffee/Bar area just outside of the restaurant. That being said there are plenty of cool spots on the Escapes and it is similar, but when something wins your heart so completely as Epic it did mine nothing else has been quite as special for me. :)

Edited by Lady Anna & Sir Troy

Well the Escape's current reviews, while slowly climbing, currently at 50%, are still quite rough. Even when scanning the 4 star reviews, still lots of complaints.

Assuming the Escape eventually gets to some reasonable and respectable number, which has more of what you want?

Certainly a BTB to the same ports suggests the ship (s) are the draw.

Can you do a BTB on both ships?

I was surprised to see the rating on the Escape as low as it was, but I understand that it is a new ship. Is it a consensus that they are still ironing out the 'kinks'? We don't sail on Escape until December so I am hoping things improve. With that being said, the Epic leaves on the same day, with mostly all the same itinerary, price (just different ports) The Epic is an option for us...

I was just on the Escape a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It was our first cruise and it was incredible! Did not take the kids, though, and would like to next time. We are torn between going back on the Escape, trying the Epic or even the Aways OR going on RCCL (Allure etc). We are very confused at this point because while we loved our first experience we are open to trying new lines/ships as well. Loved reading the comments on this post.

Without reservation, ,my opinion is that the EPIC is superior to the Escape. Yes, layout and cabins get a bad rap, but it worked for us! We are just off the Escape, and although we had a great time, the EPIC has much better public spaces, pools and balconies. Food equal at both, outside spaces on EPIC much better especially Spice H20. The Grotto on Escape takes up too much space and the pool in Spice on Epic is a nice addition. Entertainment awesome on both- and across most of the line. Prefer Specialties on Epic as more intimate (especially Le Bistro) and not so "busy" as on the Escape. I think you will have a great time on either, but as one staff member put it, Epic is the only "Epic" class ship because it was so expensive to build. It is the "best" built in the fleet! So happy EPIC is returning this fall and going to book next January for sure :)

Both ships are pretty new. I like the idea of seeing different ports given the ship itself is a redo. I've not been on either and never done a b2b. I prefer the adventure of various ports.

We did the St Thomas, Tortola, Nassau itinerary on Getaway last summer and enjoyed the ports (Nassau was a redo so not too exciting). We traveled during storm and actually thought we were going with the other itinerary you mentioned, but were put back on the original itinerary at embarkation.

We are booked on Escape for the Honduras, Belize, Cozumel itinerary at the end of the summer.