Joining a tour at the port dock

YVRCanuck

We will be arriving to the Salerno port on May 20, 2016

Was wondering if anyone has had any experience or is aware of the ability to join an excursion after exiting the port area (similar to what you can do in the Caribbean)?

If so, are the tours reliable and safe and are the costs more reasonable then booking a tour company online before the cruise?

I did have a tour lined up with 2 other couples, however they have both backed out on me and the cost of the tour for 2 people is outrageous, so now looking for other alternatives.

We are looking for a tour of Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano, with an accredited tour guide for Pompeii.

Any help or comments would be grateful.

Jim

My guess that will be no tours sold on the dock. If taxi drivers show up you can try to hire them for a day. Couldn't tell you what the cost is my guess anywhere from 300 to 400 euro per car for 8 hrs.

As far as public transit go you can check http://www.travelmar.it/ for Salerno-Positano ferry, SITA bus for Positano-Sorento and train Sorrento to Pompei http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/Orario%20Sorrento_Napoli.pdf

Without dedicated transport that trip is very tight and probably not doable (takes 70 min from Salerno to Positano, 60 min to Sorrento and 30 min - to Pompei) and then back. It takes at least 2 hrs to do Pompei (that what guides sell but people tend to stay longer). Lots of official guides at the entrance, they go in groups of 10 which form quickly.

If you want to skip Positano SITA bus goes from Salerno to Sorrento directly

Edited by hkto

If you do intend to depend on finding a tour at a European port, we strongly suggest you have a "Plan B" which is what you can do on your own without a tour.

For those that want private tours we always suggest getting active on the CC Roll Call Board for your specific cruise. Don't be shy. Read through the board, respond to others and post your own wants! Many small group private tours have resulted from the Roll Calls. And sometimes things take a really interesting turn. On one 62 day HAL cruise we took to the Med, there was one couple on our Roll Call who organized tours in over 2 dozen ports. And they did a fantastic job hiring large buses/vans which they purposely kept at least 1/3 empty (so everyone had plenty of room). This is not the norm, but it does happen.

Hank

My guess that will be no tours sold on the dock. If taxi drivers show up you can try to hire them for a day. Couldn't tell you what the cost is my guess anywhere from 300 to 400 euro per car for 8 hrs.

As far as public transit go you can check http://www.travelmar.it/ for Salerno-Positano ferry, SITA bus for Positano-Sorento and train Sorrento to Pompei http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/orariautomobilisti/Orario%20Sorrento_Napoli.pdf

Without dedicated transport that trip is very tight and probably not doable (takes 70 min from Salerno to Positano, 60 min to Sorrento and 30 min - to Pompei) and then back. It takes at least 2 hrs to do Pompei (that what guides sell but people tend to stay longer). Lots of official guides at the entrance, they go in groups of 10 which form quickly.

If you want to skip Positano SITA bus goes from Salerno to Sorrento directly

Thank you hkto for the info. Don't really want to take public transit and risk any possible break downs. So will have to suck it up or hope to find others on our cruise that wants to do the excursion.

It is so nice to get great feed back on a post instead of responses that make the assumption that the poster hasn't already tried to do the research but was not successful .

If you do intend to depend on finding a tour at a European port, we strongly suggest you have a "Plan B" which is what you can do on your own without a tour.

For those that want private tours we always suggest getting active on the CC Roll Call Board for your specific cruise. Don't be shy. Read through the board, respond to others and post your own wants! Many small group private tours have resulted from the Roll Calls. And sometimes things take a really interesting turn. On one 62 day HAL cruise we took to the Med, there was one couple on our Roll Call who organized tours in over 2 dozen ports. And they did a fantastic job hiring large buses/vans which they purposely kept at least 1/3 empty (so everyone had plenty of room). This is not the norm, but it does happen.

Hank

Thank you Hank. As I said, I had 2 couples that indicated they were going to join the excursion, but have now backed out. The tour is again offered to others on the roll call, but I am now doing my research as a back up plan in the event no one wants to join the excursion.

Thank you Hank. As I said, I had 2 couples that indicated they were going to join the excursion, but have now backed out. The tour is again offered to others on the roll call, but I am now doing my research as a back up plan in the event no one wants to join the excursion.

Consider the ferry from Salerno to Positano (or only as far as Amalfi if time is short, though the best bit is after Amalfi) & then a return to Salerno by bus along the high coast road. Or vice-versa depending on timetables.

Pretty cheap, and gives you a great view of the coast from both angles.

JB :)

This sort of happened to he in a reverse way. I had a couple people back out the night before I was to meet my italytoursharing.com guide. I actually ended up recruiting people coming off the ship in the Livorno port. We ended up having a group of 8 and a terrific time with our new comers... It was too funny, I was running around asking anybody if they wanted to join our italytoursharing group...lolol...I was a bit embarrassed but i was able to recruit (8 people less $$)

Why not try and recruit 2 more couples..I think u have lots of time?

• 3 weeks later...

I remember that when we went to Pompei a few years ago, there were professional guides that could be hired at the entrance gates. So not sure if this is still the same, but there was not a need to pre-book one before.